VOGONS

First post, by brandsizzle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, I've started getting into building some older systems this year and due to some lucky local hauls I got a good amount of items but can't seem to pick what would work best in combination.

I'm looking to build 2 retro systems, a "time machine" per Phil who frequents these forums which is a P-166 (I might lower it to a P-133) and will be my main machine while I also found a new in box 486 DX-66 which I want cause it holds a place in my heart. The wife wants these systems built so I have to make a call.

I have the following cards to split between those 2 systems, I do have a Roland SC-7, SC-55, and MT-32 (Gen 1) for midi.

Awe64 Gold
Several Sound Blaster 16's (CT1730, CT1740, etc...) some with the hanging note bug and some without
Sound Blaster Pro 2 (CT1600)
Sound Blaster Pro 1.5 (CT1320U with the CMS Chips)
Roland MPU-IPC-T (Was going to use Softmpu but got lucky with a Kijiji ad and picked this up)

I was going to put the awe64 and sbpro 2 in the time machine but now that I have the mpu-ipc-t the sbpro 2 can't use the line-in, and the 486 was going to be the SB 1.5 and SB16.

Reply 2 of 4, by brandsizzle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, I think I confused the CT1600 which I have with some information online about the CT1350 a Sound Blaster 2.0 not a Sound Blaster Pro 2. I thought I had checked this but it's possible I didn't have the connection right or mine has an issue with the line-in or the line-in was disabled via the mixer.

Reply 3 of 4, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like a good plan!

I can only recommend investing into an external mixer: http://www.phonic.com/en/am-series/

These are also available on eBay. Go for a basic 2 channel Stereo mixer, or if you want some room to expand, a 4 channel mixer. And for the MIDI devices I would get an AV switch, these are also quite cheap on eBay.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 4, by brandsizzle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I'll go with an AWE64, Sound Blaster 16, and the MPU-IPC-T in the Time Machine, I did pickup a simple AV Switch but can't find a simple mixer cheap yet. For the 486 I'll throw in the Sound Blaster Pro 2 and the Sound Blaster 1.5 so I can get a good early system with Sound Blaster and Game Blaster support.