VOGONS

Reply 700 of 4609, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Beautiful terminal. Has such a 60's/70's futuristic look.

Here's a contemporary ad (late 70's/early 80's?):

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/wp-content/im … inals_large.jpg

Last edited by blurks on 2017-02-09, 18:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 701 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your image isn't loading, I've had a couple mid 80's WYSE terminals in the past and a 1979 Dasher D200 (hopelessly broken). The Dasher was beautiful, looked like it was designed by Maserati or something. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 702 of 4609, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

During the time I was inactive here on Vogons I still checked to local electronic waste dumpster now and then.

When tidying up the livingroom today (which in fact is more of a a storage room at the moment) I stumbled upon two motherboards I found some months ago.

The motherboards are an Asus A7V Socket A board and a Lucky Star 6ABX2V i440BX Slot 1 board with unknown CPUs. I hope the Lucky Star board har a 2Mbit BIOS as I then have a suitable Tualatin BIOS for it otherwise I will have to find a new flash chip. I found this Pentium 90 CPU together with the motherboards and also alot of other hardware but I do not actually remember exactly what, probably the cards and drives from the computers the motherboards belonged to.

Dumpster find Asus A7V REV 1.02 and Lucky Star 6ABX2V VER 1.2 with unknown CPUs plus a Pentium 90 SX968.jpg
Filename
Dumpster find Asus A7V REV 1.02 and Lucky Star 6ABX2V VER 1.2 with unknown CPUs plus a Pentium 90 SX968.jpg
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The motherboards looks to be in good condition but I have not tested them yet.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 704 of 4609, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
yawetaG wrote:

^ That case looks suspiciously like an older version of the case of my ill-fated AMD Duron system, which died of a power supply not able to supply enough juice to run the computer under load...

Its an AT case, so quite old already nut these cases look prettige common. Its a lovely small case, required abit of modding tot be satisfactory (was unstable so put in an additional rivet at every corner connecting 2 layers of steel together and cut out a hole for 120mm intake fan in the front). This case will hold a beast soon

Reply 705 of 4609, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elhaya wrote:
today I found a Compaq in a local dumpster near my synagogue. Unfortunately, it is missing the CPU. […]
Show full quote

today I found a Compaq in a local dumpster near my synagogue. Unfortunately, it is missing the CPU.

A while ago I found an IBM keyboard

32843447265_a03de0a254_z.jpg

Would that be a S478 P4 ?
I'll be gutting a similar system for a core 2 build (original S478 guts all work)
Is it allowed to offer bits for postage cost?

Reply 706 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elhaya wrote:
today I found a Compaq in a local dumpster near my synagogue. Unfortunately, it is missing the CPU. […]
Show full quote

today I found a Compaq in a local dumpster near my synagogue. Unfortunately, it is missing the CPU.

A while ago I found an IBM keyboard

32028683883_3c1516f5af_z.jpg
32843447265_a03de0a254_z.jpg

What is the HP model, there are 4 different models using the same case:

HP D530 - Socket 478 P4
HP DC7100 - LGA 775 P4
HP DC7600 - LGA 775 P4/PD
HP DC7700 - LGA 775 P4/PD/Core 2

I listed all models and the supported CPUs, they also supports the Celeron varaints of the mentioned CPUs (Celeron/Pentium variants in the case of Core 2 in the DC7700). The DC7700 might support Core 2 Quad with a newer BIOS

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 708 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elhaya wrote:

model dc7100C/P4-530/80hnd/256F/4 HEB

Well, seems the best CPU you can use is the Pentium 4 670 3.8 GHz with the newest BIOS, idk if the Pentium 4 661 Cedar Mill will work on that

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 709 of 4609, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Carlos S. M. wrote:
elhaya wrote:

model dc7100C/P4-530/80hnd/256F/4 HEB

Well, seems the best CPU you can use is the Pentium 4 670 3.8 GHz with the newest BIOS, idk if the Pentium 4 661 Cedar Mill will work on that

Check for BIOS updates, if I remember right it does support it. I have a mainboard from these systems, they are nice for testing stuff as they are mounted on a large metal plate.

Reply 711 of 4609, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
Another good day for trash. lol […]
Show full quote

Another good day for trash. 🤣

Gonna make this into a 2000's gaming machine. 😁

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dayfqas.jpg

Make sure to check that PC for bad caps. Dell machines from that period are notorious for having bad caps.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 713 of 4609, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rein_ein wrote:

Found this crapware yesterday,an Asus P5S800-VM and Gainward 6600GT.

Mobo visible have some bulged caps,non tested yet,video card have noisy fan but works.

Well the Asus P5S800-VM "find" seems like an opportunity to hone your recapping skills! 😀

The caps having to do with the CPU VRM circuit seems fine at least. I hate those small green craptastic caps. I have plenty of boards with just that kind of bulging, leaking shitty caps. It's a pain that they look a bit like Sanyo caps so when you browse Ebay and the pictures are taken from a distance and/or are out of focus it's hard to tell the difference.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 714 of 4609, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up some stuff from friends' places today.

First load (not pictured) was 2 Commodore64s, 2 floppy drives, 1 power supply, 2 joysticks, and a bunch of games on floppies 😁 I've never played with one before so this has me excited!

Second load was from a friend who has a woodshop in his basement...kinda mediocore stuff, but I might find a use....definitely need to bring out the air compressor

- Savage4 8mb from a Compaq (I think this is from the tower)
- ASRock P4S61, with what I think is a 2.4Ghz P4 ...this may even be from my old media center I gave him years ago...
DSC_4322_zpshmb9axk8.jpg

- Mac Mini, unknown specs (not pictured)
- Tower w/ Asus A7V mobo, 256mb, unknown CPU, 40GB Seagate, and a Windows Millenium key! 😵
DSC_4319_zpsa7xfvaso.jpg
DSC_4321_zpsjapeiu4m.jpg
key_zpsex1z4zps.jpg

Reply 715 of 4609, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:
Also that screen has delaminated, the safety glass covering the CRT has separated from the actual CRT. […]
Show full quote

Also that screen has delaminated, the safety glass covering the CRT has separated from the actual CRT.

Just wiped it down and it looks better though admittedly.

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dayd1ys.jpg

Fixing the CRT isn't hard but you have to really take your time if you ever decide to remove the safety glass or the picture tube will implode, some old timers out there are still doing work on old TVs so get in contact with someone who can help you out. The glue or silicone behind the safety glass never has aged well, one trick to soften that crap up is to put the picture tub in a black trash bag and put it over a trash can with the neck down then let it get hot in the sun so the glue softens up. Use chop sticks or something along those lines to gently add some pressure between the safety glass and the tube but keep it even as either the glass can shatter or the tube implodes. Square tubes are more likely to implode so keep that in mind.

Once cleaned up use some clear double sided tape in the corners to hold the glass in place then fill along the edges with fresh silicone, be sure to get rid of any dust before you finish. Everything else should clean up well enough to look decent to good.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 717 of 4609, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
probnot wrote:
Picked up some stuff from friends' places today. […]
Show full quote

Picked up some stuff from friends' places today.

First load (not pictured) was 2 Commodore64s, 2 floppy drives, 1 power supply, 2 joysticks, and a bunch of games on floppies 😁 I've never played with one before so this has me excited!

Second load was from a friend who has a woodshop in his basement...kinda mediocore stuff, but I might find a use....definitely need to bring out the air compressor

- Savage4 8mb from a Compaq (I think this is from the tower)
- ASRock P4S61, with what I think is a 2.4Ghz P4 ...this may even be from my old media center I gave him years ago...
DSC_4322_zpshmb9axk8.jpg

- Mac Mini, unknown specs (not pictured)
- Tower w/ Asus A7V mobo, 256mb, unknown CPU, 40GB Seagate, and a Windows Millenium key! 😵
DSC_4319_zpsa7xfvaso.jpg
DSC_4321_zpsjapeiu4m.jpg
key_zpsex1z4zps.jpg

Dude, that's a Touch Systems box. I used to see those all the time in my youth. Are you Canadian?

Reply 718 of 4609, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Dude, that's a Touch Systems box. I used to see those all the time in my youth. Are you Canadian?

That was my thought, too. There's a supermarket nearby me that still runs a few of those boxes for the tills. Same Enlight cases and Touch case badges.

Reply 719 of 4609, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

That was my thought, too. There's a supermarket nearby me that still runs a few of those boxes for the tills. Same Enlight cases and Touch case badges.

Yup, I am. I used to see these all over as well, but I always though they were local. Didn't realize they were Canada-wide...