VOGONS

Reply 20 of 33, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lynx itself seems to be depreciated in favor of eLinks or w3m, but I doubt either of those were ported to DOS.

kreats wrote:

Jorpho: still doesn't tell me/us a lot - any descriptive links (rather than just a link to the exe)?

The exe is linked from http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wpgformat.html . It's also mentioned in this forum post. A Google search for <"Jih-Shin Ho" display> turns up some hits.

keropi wrote:

anyone has a QVIEW link? I can't find it :\

The first Google hit for <qview dos> is http://www.enlight.ru/qview/ , but I'm not sure M. Alexanrs was actually intending to refer to that (instead of Quickview Pro); I hadn't heard of it before.

Reply 21 of 33, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pushing to the limits... I've installed a Pentium 120 (60MHZ). Incredible how Quake seems to suffer this downgrade. Not to mention at higher resolution.
But seems to feel more "time correct" for a poweful dos machine. The 166 MMX feel late even for Windows 95..😀

Reply 23 of 33, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of my "must haves", having experienced it the first time round, would be Inertia Player - an excellent MOD player - supports a number of soundcards, and even produced pretty amazing results on PC speaker - if you had a loud enough one to begin with.

Reply 24 of 33, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:

Quake run in sw mode
I don't think it exist a minigl quake dos patch right?

The only option to run hardware accelerated Quake in DOS is VQuake which requires a Rendition card (V1000/V2100/V2200).

Reply 25 of 33, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well after some testing I decided to unmount all the pentium hardware and come back tomy 486 system. I added an internal speaker, second cd drive (on the Soundblaster connector the main is on the slave-main-ide) and finally got to connect power and hd led (I thought they were broken) on the very modified cheap atx case.

I wanted to use the 486SX-25 ceramic cpu I have with the original 4MB simm, but there's no easy way to set up the NE2000 card on dos with this pc. In windows 95 it assign the right IRQ/IO while in Dos it cant see the card on the same irq and hwinfo doesn't even see it.

So I went back to the Overdrive ODPR100 (DX4) with 16kbyte L1 write-through (but I have no L2 cache to mount) with the 64MB simms I have, 512MB Seagate fast hd.

This the result of speedsys:

CPU: 38,72
HD: 119,26
Data L1 speed: 57,64MB/S
Memory thorugpout: 29,13 MB/S

Are they good?

Reply 28 of 33, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to know if it's right for the usual 486 late systems or slow.

I just discovered that the S3 805 1MB chipset on board is VLB connected, nice. It gives me 4000kbyte/s of speed in Speedsys. And quiet happy of hard disk access time 5ms. 😀

Definetely I would need 256kbyte of external cache but not really easy to find these day.

Reply 30 of 33, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
386SX wrote:

Just to know if it's right for the usual 486 late systems or slow.

If it's not fast enough, shouldn't you go back to your Pentium?

Seconded. My Pentium 100 is pretty much backward compatible with any DOS multimedia applications. The only thing problematic is DOS games which are too fast on Pentium, but I guess 486 also suffers from the same problem. Try playing Wing Commander 1, for example.

When it goes to backward compatibility with DOS multimedia applications, I think what matters more are peripherals like video cards and sound cards.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 32 of 33, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386SX wrote:

I was listening cd-audio music while using offbyone. Amazing for a 1992 hardware. 😁

Not really. Before "digital playback", playing CD audio required nothing but sending a command to the drive and required no CPU power whatsoever. (Some old drives had playback buttons and were functional with just a power supply.)

Reply 33 of 33, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
386SX wrote:

I was listening cd-audio music while using offbyone. Amazing for a 1992 hardware. 😁

Not really. Before "digital playback", playing CD audio required nothing but sending a command to the drive and required no CPU power whatsoever. (Some old drives had playback buttons and were functional with just a power supply.)

yeah definetely you couldn't do the same with mp3 audio. 😁