VOGONS

First post, by Shalom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I today purchased a widescreen monitor for the first time, to replace my aging 17" LCD. Problem is that now any full-screen DOS apps look horrible due to the stretching horizontally, and I can't figure out how to make the monitor (Acer X203H) do "pillar boxiing" in full screen mode. So, DosBOX 0.73 to the rescue; I put "fullscreen=1600x900" in the .conf file, and presto, the right aspect ratio shows up, with vertical black lines to the sides (who cares). To verify it's not stretching, I ran Matthew Versluys's "Tribute To Tetris", and the squares were square.

Now the problem. One of the greatest old-time graphic display programs was Display, written by Jih-Shin Ho, a Taiwanese comp-sci student; unfortunately he stopped developing this after version 1.90, having graduated in 1995, but it still does almost everything I want it to do (e.g. it can selectively negate either the brightness or the color of an image, which I haven't found any other program to do). It runs under XP, but it doesn't support any widescreen resolutions and it distorts all the pictures it displays. So I tried running it in DosBOX, the main screen comes up, and then nothing. Mouse doesn't move, it ignores the keyboard. Weirdest thing, though, is that there's an on-screen clock display, and that keeps running, so the program isn't actually hung, it's just ignoring keyboard input. You can alt-enter to fullscreen and back, and you can alt-tab to get to other windows, but you can't get it to *do* anything. No errors are coming up in the status window. I have tried output=surface, opengl, and ddraw (this last wouldn't run at all).

Requested data per sticky: 1) ASUS P5KPL-CM mainboard, 2) Intel core-duo @2.6GHz, 3) 4 Gb DDR2 Ram, 4) onboard video Intel G33/G31 (per control panel) with no video RAM (it uses the main RAM), 5) onboard sound, 6) WinFLP (i.e. XP lite). 7) Display 1.90t4. 8 ) Problem is described above. 9) reproducibility- happens every time. 10) sound mode is whatever the default is. 11) video mode is opengl, I tried surface and ddraw also.

Anybody else familiar with this antique program and how to get it to run?

Thanks,
Shalom

Reply 1 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use Display a lot, but I am using it through the NTVDM. Have you tried editting some parameters in the display.dis file? Tried enabling VESA banked mode instead of Protected mode, etc.

By the way, my version is 1.90-t5 (1996).

Display is quite picky about modern graphic cards, specially on those with poor VESA support. I have also noticed that WinXP will hard reboot if you try to run Display while WinAMP is running. A pity its development is halted. Getting the source would be nice.

EDIT: Display 1.90-t5 seems to work fine under DOSBox 0.73
Core dynamic, cycles max, memory 63, display 1280x1024

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 6, by Shalom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Display comes with a VESA mode display utility; it says that all vesa modes are supported.

Not sure what you mean by "vesa banked mode" or "protected mode", there's no option for that in my config file. I've tried switching other things around in the conf file to no avail. CAn you attach a copy of yours, and I'll check what's different?

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Of course. The line you are looking for is called VESA_prot_switch=[1/0]

and it's located almost at the beginning of config.dis file.

Stupid forum: it says 7-zip isn't allowed. 🤣.

Attachments

• Filename
    DISPLAY_190-t5.rar
    File size
    663.91 KiB
    Downloads
    328 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 4 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do remember Display being unable to work at resolutions beyond 640x480 on newer nVidia cards. I am using Ati for a long time.

Maybe you need some vga.sys hack.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 5 of 6, by Shalom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, something weird. Your display.exe (version 1.90t5) is about a third the size of mine, which is 1.90t4. (482,780 bytes vs. 1,370,624) Whatever, replacing the exe file seems to have cured the problem, no idea why.

(I was actually talking about dosbox.conf rather than the config.dis, but whatever works...)

Thanks.

Shalom

Reply 6 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You are welcome.

That's because I packed the executable with UPX, a well known executables packer.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)