VOGONS

First post, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I've got this old Pentium 2 motherboard, made by some brand called PC Partner. It's missing the retention system for the CPU so I'm looking to get hold of one.

This looks the same as the one in my Gateway 2000 P2 machine - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Slot-1-CPU-Retention- … XMAAOSwv0tVFCVs

But then there's this type, which seems to have shorter posts? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supporti-plastica-x-C … =item25a227155f

Which is the better type to get, or does it matter at all? I'm likely to be using a standard slot p2 cpu.

I also have one of these socket 370 to slot 1 adapter cards - http://www.cbo-do.de/shop/images/product_imag … ges/20823_0.JPG that I'd like to play around with but probably won't use...

Will this work with either type of bracket?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 13, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe the one you called shorter folds down against the CPU slot to make storing the board with the bracket installed easier.
Also looks to have push-pins vice screws as the other one has. With screws you can just take it off for storage.
In use there isn't a difference so far as I know.
The slot adapter should work with either one.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-01-08, 08:38. Edited 1 time in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2 of 13, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And when installed, if in doubt, apply copious amounts of duct tape. 😁

I have one board where I use tie wraps because the CPU tends to come loose if the system is moved, luckily this is only a testbed board which permanently has a P266 installed and it is of low quality. It has a lot of miles on the clock and the retention mechanism is very badly worn. But I thought it was worth mentioning because if you are concerned about the CPU you may be able to do this if you have something to wrap them around. In my case, the holder had these convenient rectangular holes at the bottom almost as if Jetway knew this would happen years down the line.

Slot 370 adapters are a bit hit-and-miss, you might find you are stuck with a limited range of Celerons if you try to use it or else it might work flawlessly. Either way, it shouldn't break anything so if it doesn't work, the system just won't POST until you put a regular Slot 1 CPU in again.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think there are several different versions, some versions wouldn't let me install a SEPP Celeron because some part of the retention thingy got in the way (I had to bend both retention arms outward (away from the slot) before the Celeron could be installed.

And yes, some Slot 1 CPUs tend to loosen themselves after moving the system, but I remember some of them fitting Pentium 2 SECC cartridges perfectly fine, they kinda clicked into place.

About getting "new" retention thingies, I'd first see what's available and then buy a couple. I can highly recommend the ones that can be folded, makes life a lot easier 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 13, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 2nd one in 2 pieces looks like it folds. The 1st one doesn't.
The 1st one also includes an extra strip of plastic which support the front of the CPU so it doesn't lean. I think that was only used with early SECC-1 CPUs, maybe only Klamaths.
Those CPUs will have a pair of plastic posts at an angle that can connect to that plastic strip, which in turn fits into the motherboard.
Intel did away with this on later CPUs, so it's up to you whether you care about having it or even have a use for it.

The 1st style has smooth sides, the 2nd style has openings for an SECC-2 style cartridge to lock into it.

I think the first style is a better fit with SECC-1 and is a bit more sturdy. The 2nd is more convenient for storing the board with the bracket folded down, and may fit better with SECC-2.

I *think* I've run into situations where the old style bracket didn't fit properly with SECC-2 CPUs. It's a vague memory, but I think I had brackets where the later CPUs were pushing out on the sides of the bracket instead of sliding into it properly.
So basically, I'd pick depending what cartridge type your CPU uses.

Reply 5 of 13, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would really help if we could see the board and the CPU you are going to use.

btw, consider two things:

1) I'm pretty sure you don't actually need the brackets, those CPUs sit pretty hard on their slots.
2) It might be cheaper to get a Slot1 board already with the brackets than brackets alone.
3) It might be cheaper to get a complete Slot1 computer than brackets alone.

Okay, that's three things.

Reply 7 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sirlemonhead wrote:
This is the board (sorry about the picture quality...) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30279551/photos/p2boardslotcpu.jpg […]
Show full quote

This is the board (sorry about the picture quality...) p2boardslotcpu.jpg

My CPUs are all Deschutes type

What's the model number of your board?
It might be one of the more budget-oriented BX boards as it's size is rather small and it seems to have onboard sound.
I also don't recognize the northbridge HS which often tells something about who manufactured the board.

edit:
Right after I replied, I recognized part of the model number, 35-????-??, which is usually PC-Partner

edit2:
I did some searching, is this your motherboard? http://support.pcpartner.com/support/layout/839-846.gif
Model number is 35-8839-XX, but it's hard to tell due to the reflection of your camera.

Here's the main website with 440 chipsetted boards http://support.pcpartner.com/support/bios/i440.htm
Apparently you can still get the manuals and BIOS updates from there (kudo's go to PC-Partner).

Last edited by Tetrium on 2016-01-09, 13:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 13, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems to be this board: http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Aristo/ … 6zx/am646zx.htm

Aristo/Pc Partner seems to be interchangeable from what I read online

Reply 10 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sirlemonhead wrote:

Yep that's it! specifically 35-8839-01

yw 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 13, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-01-10, 07:37. Edited 1 time in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 12 of 13, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Deschutes processors came in both cartridge types, SECC-1 and SECC-2. SECC-2 are the type where the heatsink has 4 pins that poke through the cartridge and is held in place on the opposite side with a metal bracket which can be easily removed. SECC-1 has everything more solidly put together and isn't designed to let you take the heatsink off.
SECC-1's plastic shell wraps around the sides which are smooth and rectangular. It has locking tabs at the top edge.
SECC-2 doesn't have the top locking tabs. The plastic shell is really just a backing and doesn't wrap around the sides. The sides have some protrusions instead of being smooth, those protrusions lock into openings in the side of the bracket.

If in doubt I'd probably lean towards the later style folding brackets just because I find them more convenient for storage, and they should be decently compatible with both types of CPU, but I think the older style is more sturdy with SECC-1.
The plastic part surrounding the push pins is brittle. Maybe it's from age, or maybe they were always like that. But if you use a flat bladed screwdriver to pop them out of a board, be careful. If you are clumsy, the plastic around the push pin will easily break off. I've done that.
In that respect screws are definitely better than push pins.

Reply 13 of 13, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine are the SECC-1 type. I *hate* any kind of plastic pin that has to be bent/pushed to release something. They're so prone to breaking, especially when the plastic gets old.

I don't think the storage issue is such a big deal so many I'll go for the first type. Thanks for all the input guys 😀