VOGONS

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello there fellow Vogoner's,

i recently got an ATI VGA Wonder +. These cards have decent image quality and a good level of CGA and CGA compatibility. My card also has a Bus mouse connector. I got the card boxed (no manuals or disks)and it came with a Bus mouse. I wanted to get the Bus mouse working on the XT.

These cards have a configuration program where you can store your configuartion on the cards EEPROM. Unfortunately when i tried to sav the configuration on the EEPROM it says: EEPROM failed... Very unfortunate as by default the Bus mouse port is disabled.

I tried the card on a different machine (my Socket 7 system) and the problem persists. So i took a look at the card. It's not my exact card but it looks exactly like this:

ati-1090009510-vga-wonder-video-card-6d9_zpsgzzzh4zw.jpg?t=1456409173

COuld it be the card has no EEPROM? At least none of the chips in there seem to be one...

Anyone around here has one of these cards?

Reply 1 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Under the empty crystall space on the pcb (upper left) there is a ram chip and on it's right an 8-pin device... What is it?
Also what is the large IC above the bios eproms? The pic is too small 😵
There is no other place/ic that I can see that could be an eeprom...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 10, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Allright after searching part numbers it seems that the HY 93C46 IC just under the empty crystal space is indeed a 1K (1024bit) EEPROM. So i'm wondering now if the EEPROM itself is dead. I'll try to get a plastic socket and a new EEPROM.

Reply 3 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

could also worth your time tracing and testing with a multimeter the 8 pins, maybe along the way something broke and the eeprom is ok

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see what you mean, your pics look the same as on my cards and the setup program works.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it could be just a case of multi-layered pcb, maybe there is another layer inside that is not visible

Reply 9 of 10, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

it could be just a case of multi-layered pcb, maybe there is another layer inside that is not visible

That's what i thought too, maybe this is a 4 layer board or something, but still suggested traces show no continuity on the multimeter anyway.

Maybe the EEPROM is really dead. According to the datasheet these serial EEPROMS have High Reliability like 1 Million Write Cycles and data retention of 100 years. It could be a case of ESD damage however.

Reply 10 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I could write to it. Disabled the Bus Mouse as it took an IRQ.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool