VOGONS

Reply 60 of 66, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh well.. This is getting somewhat frustrating. 🙁
So you can't boot from a floppy, you can't boot from CD and your HDD has a screwed installation of DOS ?
Maybe someone casted a spell ? Do you have any wizards in you neighborhoud ?
Is your PC located next to a window ?

I think it's best to make a backup of your batch files and wipe the disk.
But before you do, please let me ask you: Can you transfer files somehow at all ?
Via a floppy, a terminal program or a ZIP drive ? Or can you hook up your drive to an USB-IDE adapter ?
And does the floppy drive work properly or are there any read/write errors (Checkit! can check it) ?

Or do you have at least a copy of Windows 95 (Win95b/c update disc) ?
If so, this *could* fix all you problems. If you install Win95, you would have a proper DOS 7.x and
you could also transfer files more easily (TCP/IP or direct cable connection).
Windows 98 would also work, but it requires more disk space and you would have to start setup with the /nm switch.

But these are just ideas. I won't take any responsibility for data loss or green slime coming out of your PC.. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 61 of 66, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I installed this Dr. Dos 7.03 system, now when I boot I have a boot menu with "Standard" (DOS 7.10, which doesn't boot at all anymore, now it's missing himem.sys due to Dr. Dos's installation) and Dr. Dos 7.03 which works like a charm.
It automatically fixed the issue I had with the sound card not being detected anymore (I haven't checked if it still does that "volume" problem I talked about in my other thread), I entered into Windows 3.1, quit and re-entered and worked...

Now if only I could remove that pointless boot menu at startup and having Dr. Dos 7.03 as automatic boot... but whatever, even though I can't, it's not a problem...
let's see how long it will keep working... ah yes, and I didn't even format...

da388aed140642bf8e3e1d8c96dec490.png

EDIT: Yep, the sound issue is still present (it works, the card now is being detected, but it still "farts" as I mentioned in the other thread), the master volume gets automatically pushed to maximum after some games, in short.

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 62 of 66, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure what are you doing... but DOS problems should be solved within minutes as it's a very simple system.

the sound issue is still present (it works, the card now is being detected, but it still "farts" as I mentioned in the other thread), the master volume gets automatically pushed to maximum after some games, in short.

After random games or after a particular game?

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 63 of 66, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So far, I've noticed it with Epic Pinball, Raptor and Jill of the Jungle.
It happens as I run the games, the volume explodes, check out my related thread where I've also posted a video.

Most important ones:

Reply 64 of 66, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd never used DR-DOS before, but Googling around suggests that if you attempt to run LOADER.COM on the command line (or possibly LOADER /? or HELP LOADER), then you might get some answers.

Reply 65 of 66, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EDIT: Error..

Last edited by matze79 on 2016-06-05, 10:53. Edited 1 time in total.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 66 of 66, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why would I want to low-level format the hardisk now that I got Windows 3.1 to work fine ?

Most important ones: