VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have this laptop, vintage '96 or thereabouts, and lately I've noticed some strange effects going on at the top of the screen, like several pixels up there went bad at once:

image.jpeg
Filename
image.jpeg
File size
1.84 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So does this mean I should worry about my screen, or not?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks to me like some layer or another became unglued.

But what is there to worry about, really? It's not like you're likely to be able to replace the screen of a 1996 laptop.

Reply 3 of 5, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'll know your screen is about to die when you show up at the hospital and it is on life support and its BP has dropped well below safe levels and the EKG shows weak and erratic signals. Doctors will not be around because they have already given up. Only the nurses are on-hand to administer fluids and meds via an IV drip. The screen will have difficulty breathing and will probably die in its sleep.

Or it could just be a gunshot wound...

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 4 of 5, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It depends on the type of panel we are looking at, if it is a TFT it should hold up for a few more years. DTSN panels or something like that are Horrendous for degradation.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 5, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the pixels are confirmed dead with RGB LCD test tool (or just uniform red/green/blue background)?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)