VOGONS

First post, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(This is a repost from "The Guide" -> "Windows" subforum, because of lack of responses)

I have an original Icewind Dale with Heart of Winter expansion (v1.4). The problem is that Icewind Dale doesn't react on turning EAX ON or OFF in the sound options menu. It behaves like that on Win 98 & XP fresh installs. The drivers I have are from the original Audigy CD which can be downloaded here on VOGONS. I tried it with DirectX 7.0, 8.2 under Win98 and 9.0c in WinXP. Also tried installing OpenAL & EAX unified driver - still nothing. I completely don't know where lies the problem. EAX works great in other games on my PC but not on Inifinity Engine games - it also does not work in Baldurs Gate 1 & 2. The only Inifnity Engine (?) game which detects my soundcard properly is Planescape Torment.

Its strange because I dont get any errors or anything that would indicate for driver/system fault. It just does not process in-game sounds to the EAX reverbs. The sound is unprocessed/dry no matter EAX ON/OFF.

The model of my Audigy is SB0090, the one with gold connectors.
Mainboard: Conroe865PE
Processor: C2D E4700

Update: Installed a SB Live! 5.1 (SB0100) with original drivers and still nothing. It slowly drives me nuts!

any help much appreciated 😁

Reply 2 of 4, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

EAX effects work normally under Windows. I can turn on the control panel, and select any reverb/fx preset I want and it just works, to the moment I turn on Icewind Dale - then it turns off. Looked for hidden option but didnt find any 😒

Is there anyone here who has working Audigy/Live! EAX in Icewind Dale under 98/XP? Could anyone check that please? It would be easier then to find the problem 🙁

Reply 3 of 4, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update:
Checked Icewind Dale 1 on Audigy 1, Audigy 2 ZS and even Vortex 2 (v2048). The game has no EAX effects on any of these. Tried with probably every driver versions!

BTW. I suspect it's the motherboard. Found out that Vortex 2 has crackling sound once in a moment so maybe theres some CPU/IRQ/ACPI/Latency incompatibilities. Tried increasind/decreasing PCI latency in BIOS but the crackling problem is still there. Dunno if its important info 😜

Please people - if any of You could install Icewind Dale 1 on your 98/XP system and check if you hear EAX effects on any of these cards. PLEASE! I just want to identify what is causing the problem 🙁

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

Reply 4 of 4, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doppler wrote:
Update: Checked Icewind Dale 1 on Audigy 1, Audigy 2 ZS and even Vortex 2 (v2048). The game has no EAX effects on any of these. […]
Show full quote

Update:
Checked Icewind Dale 1 on Audigy 1, Audigy 2 ZS and even Vortex 2 (v2048). The game has no EAX effects on any of these. Tried with probably every driver versions!

BTW. I suspect it's the motherboard. Found out that Vortex 2 has crackling sound once in a moment so maybe theres some CPU/IRQ/ACPI/Latency incompatibilities. Tried increasind/decreasing PCI latency in BIOS but the crackling problem is still there. Dunno if its important info 😜

Please people - if any of You could install Icewind Dale 1 on your 98/XP system and check if you hear EAX effects on any of these cards. PLEASE! I just want to identify what is causing the problem 🙁

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

wonder if you ever got around to finding how EAX sounds on Icewind Dale 1 with a sound blaster card? if the option does any difference to the sounds in game.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames