VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm installing Windows 98 on an Athlon64 system on a SATA drive. I first put in a floppy, do fdisk then a full format without /Q. I do expect lighting speed from this system but I was expecting a full format taking minutes and not seconds. Even on an even faster system, a full format should take longer on a 120GB hard drive, at least a few minutes.

This is the first time I've used a SATA drive for Win98. Is this normal?

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 1 of 11, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So it happens when I boot from floppy but booting from CD and format during setup, it takes the amount of time I expect.

but I'm not getting an error...not finding much on it either. Probably going to open a new thread about it.

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 2 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GiSWiG wrote:

Probably going to open a new thread about it.

If no one has anything in particular to say on the subject, starting another thread will not help. Please do not do that.

Reply 3 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure that Drive C: is actually the HDD when booting from the floppy and not the RAM drive that some boot floppies will make and extract stuff to?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 11, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
GiSWiG wrote:

Probably going to open a new thread about it.

If no one has anything in particular to say on the subject, starting another thread will not help. Please do not do that.

Oh it was definitely something to start another thread.

Standard mode: Fault in MS-DOS Extender

I couldn't find an being exact fix but I tried one that sort of worked. Added by EMM386.EXE to the floppy and loaded it in the back config.sys. It errors but seems to still load. It fixed the problem.

Reply 5 of 11, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Are you sure that Drive C: is actually the HDD when booting from the floppy and not the RAM drive that some boot floppies will make and extract stuff to?

No, it did repot 40ish GB which works out to be half the capacity. It actually did a full slow format when just using the CD.

Reply 6 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not 100% what the real issue is, but FDISK can only "count" to around 64 GB.

Larger drives, if you create 1 single max. partition, it will partition everything, but display incorrect size. Just ignore, format it, and inside Windows it will show t he correct size.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 11, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I see that. I don't see much need to have much bigger than one 120ish GB HD. That standard 120GB IDEs I have report around 50GB. This SATA reports around 40-something.

There is a problem with this board. before it started having problems, I found it better to just disable the Promise and VIA SATA/IDE RAIN controllers and stick with IDE. IDE plus SATA adapter equals less problems. With a lot of 120GB SSDs out there, there is an abundance of drives for Windows 98. 60GBs would make great DOS drives but the prices are usually neck and neck with the 120GBs.

Unfortunately, this board I was going to use, and ASUS K8V Deluxe with Athlon64 3000+ is having problems. It boots into BIOS Recovery, I made a floppy with the right BIOS it starts to program, says it successfully worked, reboots but then back to bad bios checksum. Did it on CD too that the drive can read without issues. I did get an Athlon XP 2600+ board working. Might be enough for my needs.

Reply 8 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have made similar experiences with VIA SATA controllers (onboard), but also other boards. The stock IDE controller onboard usually just works, and here a IDE to SATA bridge works really well 😀

I think I have that Asus board, but non deluxe. I can't remember what I used for storage when I did all my benchmarking. I believe I had the HDD hooked up to SATA, but ODD to IDE.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Over the past few days I've been working on a MSI K8N Neo 2 nForce3 board with 98/XP setup.

I have one IDE channel and one pair of SATA enabled. IDE DVD + 60GB SSD. The 98SE storage driver works with no errors this way.

I booted a Win8 32bit DVD to diskpart the SSD. This aligns the partitions for the SSD. Three primary partitions - 2GB for 98, 10GB for XP and a ~44GB FAT32 data partition. I then used a USB -> SATA adapter to transfer files to the SSD on my main PC, and I used Fat32Format to format the 44GB FAT32 partition.

All working well.

Reply 10 of 11, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Irrelevant post happening in 3... 2... 1...

Anyone else remember back when 10GB was HUUUUUUGE? I had one with Windows 98 and it was yuuuj (Donald Trump impersonation here). When it failed, I repealed it and replaced it with a 30GB drive...which was simply yuuuj. I gotta tell ya, it was fantastic...simply fantastic. It made my computer great again.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 11 of 11, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first hard drive was 40MB. It was in a Tandy 1000 RLX 286. I used a program called Stacker to theoretically double that. (Microsoft stole the technology and called it doublespace which they got sued for and it was later removed from MS-DOS.

The PC I had before that had two 5.25 floppy drives, Tandy 1000 with an 8088 CPU.

I did have a Ti994/a before that. Software came on floppies, cartridges and cassettes.

There was a guy at work that worked on PCs that used punch cards.