VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Belkin Omniview Pro 8 port KVM switch that I have hooked up some computers to recently. One of the computers has a Voodoo 3500tv for its video card. It will not show up correctly when it is attached to this KVM switch. It defaults to 800x600 resolution and there is a lot of waviness to the video. However when it is connected directly to the monitor it looks fine and I'm able to choose different resolutions. Other computers have worked just fine with the same switch though. Are there any settings that I need to look into to get this too display correctly through the KVM?

Reply 2 of 6, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried changing the refresh rate on the affected computer? Depending on how old the hardware is, the KVM could have trouble with higher refresh rates at higher resolutions. If the monitor is an LCD, try setting the refresh rate directly to 60Hz. If the monitor is a CRT, try anything lower than 75Hz but above 60Hz, and if none of those settings work then try 60Hz. It might not look very good, but if all else fails that should work because AFAIK 60Hz is a sort of "universal" refresh rate that anything and everything should support with no issues.

Something else to check is the cabling between the KVM and the computer. Try swapping it with the cables from another computer, or different cables altogether. If the cables are really long or poorly shielded, they may pick up interference that can cause various issues. Or, try connecting it to a different port on the KVM to see if that helps, it's possible that particular port could be faulty.

Reply 3 of 6, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This might be helpful for you or not, but I've used a Belkin KVM before and have had similar (but not identical) issues... turns out I was using the wrong AC adapter with it (lower voltage and amperage than required). It appeared to work, but would exhibit weird switching problems and sometimes wavy or varying brightness picture. Using the correct AC adapter corrected the issues.

Reply 5 of 6, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RJDog wrote:

This might be helpful for you or not, but I've used a Belkin KVM before and have had similar (but not identical) issues... turns out I was using the wrong AC adapter with it (lower voltage and amperage than required). It appeared to work, but would exhibit weird switching problems and sometimes wavy or varying brightness picture. Using the correct AC adapter corrected the issues.

I am actually acquired the KVM unit brand new so it is the stock adapter. I wonder if they did not provide a powerful enough one to cut cost or something? I may try to dig up one to try that is just a tad bit better than the stock one. Or would that be a good idea? Would I risk frying the thing all together?

Reply 6 of 6, by Erik765

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wonder if they did not provide a powerful enough one to cut cost or something?

That was actually my first though as well. You won't (can't) fry anything as long as the voltage is the same. Get an adapter with a higher amperage rating. (make sure the polarity is the same as well). Make sure it's DC as well as there are AC adapters floating around out there.