VOGONS

First post, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed before or not... couldn't find it anyway.

I have recently acquired a VIA C3 computer, circa 2003. I'm curious what other Vogoner's opinions and experiences are with this CPU line, and it's place in the retro community.

The VIA C3, when brand new, was terribly underpowered compared to it's contemporaries Pentium III and Athlon, but was instead marketed as low-price, low-power solution. It better performed when compared to higher end Pentium II (e.g. C3 733MHz compares better to P2 450Mhz) than to equivalent core clock speed P3/Athlon. Consquently, it was never considered a contender for a gaming rig, but rather more for the embedded applications... indeed, the C3 machine I recovered was being used as a router.

Now, given the timing of the release of this particular board I have, the only officially released Windows drivers are for Windows XP... but in my opinion this 733MHz C3 is a little underpowered for Windows XP and is likely much better suited for Windows 98SE or Me. I obviously haven't got it all together yet, but I am expecting it will be good with early Windows 3D games... Quake 2, Half-Life, Unreal... the challenge I am finding is getting Windows 98/Me drivers for the board, where XP drivers are the officially released ones... not impossible but a challenge.

So, is it suitable as a retro rig, comparing it to a P2? Do people view it more akin to a P3 system (it is Socket 370 afterall)? What are your thoughts/experiences?

Reply 1 of 3, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I'm a big fan of the c3. I had s 1.2ghz setup once. They can preform well if you get them up around 1.6ghz.
However the best thing about them is how flexible they are. I seen people get them running as slow as a 386.
Not only that but you can use all sorts of newer hardware with them make a retro build much easier to build.

As for compering to a p2 or 3. I seen them bench as slow as a pentium and as fast a a 800mzh p3. It really all depends on the setup and what your doing. A 1.2ghz c3 overclocked to around 1.6ghz is around a 900-1ghz p3 in most test, until you get to superpi. They lack strong FPUs.

Reply 2 of 3, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i have the 800Mhz 133Mhz FSB VIA C3,
even a PII at 350Mhz can beat it in some tasks.

but it runs without Fan ! 😀

And makes no noise at all.. 64Gb Samsung SSD sata2ide
also soldered ISA Slot to the mainboard, simple not populated.

Attachments

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 3 of 3, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I answered my own question before I asked it, but I'll share here so that maybe others can benefit.

It's been a couple times now that I've heard that the C3 processor is very scalable in the sense of slowing down; particularly good for DOS games and the like that prefer slower clock speeds. But my motherboard has no option to set the mutiplier; neither in jumpers or the BIOS -- I can only set the FSB (66/100/133), so I was wondering how this was supposed to be so flexible?

Then I remembered... setmul! A great utility that I have, to date, only used to enable/disable L1 cache, but is obviously very versatile with multiplier options on C3 processors (and K6-2+/3+).