VOGONS

Reply 1060 of 1199, by ChrisXF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used to have something very like this:

https://dirtypcbs.com/store/designer/details/ … -breakout-board

But I lost it!! 🙁 Now I just use little gold pins stuck in the back of the ISA slot contact spring.

Reply 1061 of 1199, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh well, there you go, order that one!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1062 of 1199, by Iconclas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How many people have actually built these modules? I received my boards today and wish I ordered more
of the Cpu when they were offered on ebay. I have Been trying to deduce a material list; BOM; as it's called. I see the
VRM was changed got that. Found the sizes for the Cin Cout caps. Got the pot. Got the noise caps.

The only thing I can't seem to track down would be the size of the R2; value. I get the zero ohm resistor for the
5v jumper.

What are the "SO" and "MIO" headers?

Reply 1064 of 1199, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the POT/resistor voltage divider the value of the resistor I believe should be about 100-250 ohms from my recall.

The value of the resistor will bias the range the trim pot varies in. If you plan on being near 3.6v the resistor I used worked pretty good but if you want to get closer to 5v you want a lower value.

I’m trying to remember which resistor I used, i think it was 220 ohm? I’m not with that pc right now to check. Sorry hope this helped though.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1065 of 1199, by MikeSG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-09-15, 13:57:

Yeah, I got mine all working physically then am kinda stuck at figuring out the registers 🤣. My clock doubling experience was the same.

But to be fair I have it in my closet at the moment because I have been playing with my blue and white g3 mac.

Do be detailed in what you find out with the registers so I can follow along. Reading with interest! 😀

Did you try the Cyrix DLC/SLC utility?

Video explanation: https://youtu.be/40TT2bBQ0bc?t=582
Cyrix utility: https://www.cpu-galaxy.at/download/cyrix.zip

Inside the ZIP, the CPU_Galaxy_Settings.txt file reads:

Take following settings if your BIOS does not support "enable internal cache" […]
Show full quote

Take following settings if your BIOS does not support "enable internal cache"

for TI486SXL2-50 CPUS:
cyrix.exe -e -cd -b- -f -m

for Cyrix DLC40, TI DLC40 or Cyrix DRX2-50
cyrix.exe -e -b- -f

Take following settings if your BIOS support "enable internal cache"

for TI486SXL2-50 CPUS:
Cyrix.exe -cd -b- -f -m

for Cyrix DLC40, TI DLC40 or Cyrix DRX2-50
cyrix.exe -b- -f

Reply 1066 of 1199, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes when I enable clock doubling the system hangs. Even at 33 mhz.

I will watch your video and see if I missed something next time I have it out.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 1068 of 1199, by iyatemu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did somebody buy up all of the SXL2s? None of the places I had bookmarked that had them do any more.

Looks like I'm not getting one of these put together any time soon. Shame.

Reply 1069 of 1199, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CPU-World and Vogons user ph4nt0m stated in another thread that he bought 50 of these CPUs, https://www.cpu-world.com/forum/viewtopic.php … der=asc&start=0 , for the purpose of binning. Looks like he is letting some go now, presumably the ones which didn't achieve high MHz. You can probably get some from ph4ntom or CPUShack. CPUShack should have some stashed away for the purpose of this thread.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1070 of 1199, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iyatemu wrote on 2023-11-12, 08:01:

Did somebody buy up all of the SXL2s? None of the places I had bookmarked that had them do any more.

Looks like I'm not getting one of these put together any time soon. Shame.

Cpushack has a few

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 1071 of 1199, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, how many people actually pushed this hard ?
I find the two adapters here much more fussy than the standard sxl2-50 CPU.
So far tried them on many mobos (lets say - more than 20) and on quite a few of them they were struggling more than the standard 50mhz silicon.
I know my only sxl2-66 cpu is not great, but i am not even going for overclocks, just staying within the 50/66mhz range.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1072 of 1199, by ChrisXF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I gave it a whizz from 33mhz to 40: that worked fine, but the moment clock doubling was switched on it hung. Next thing I need to try is upping the voltage a wee bit.

I'd really like to get an adjustable oscillator can made up with a PLL or something, to try all sorts of odd frequencies in small incremements.

Reply 1073 of 1199, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have to definitively adjust voltages, but there is no good global value.
Have to vary it on a case by case basis.
Sometimes even small change makes a big difference.
For now i opted out from using them for testing in favor of standard sxl2-50.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1075 of 1199, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pshipkov wrote on 2023-11-12, 21:02:
So, how many people actually pushed this hard ? I find the two adapters here much more fussy than the standard sxl2-50 CPU. So f […]
Show full quote

So, how many people actually pushed this hard ?
I find the two adapters here much more fussy than the standard sxl2-50 CPU.
So far tried them on many mobos (lets say - more than 20) and on quite a few of them they were struggling more than the standard 50mhz silicon.
I know my only sxl2-66 cpu is not great, but i am not even going for overclocks, just staying within the 50/66mhz range.

I haven't run into any of the problems you've experienced. Some possibilities are: soldering issue, wrong voltage, bad CPU, or poor cooling. As you only have one CPU to test with, that's where I'd place my first bet. While I haven't tested my units in 20 boards, I have tested them in about 6 boards without any issue.

I'll eventually be setting up a system around an SXL2 at 90 MHz, thus I will have much more in-depth testing to rely on.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1076 of 1199, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ChrisXF wrote on 2023-11-12, 21:33:

I gave it a whizz from 33mhz to 40: that worked fine, but the moment clock doubling was switched on it hung. Next thing I need to try is upping the voltage a wee bit.

I'd really like to get an adjustable oscillator can made up with a PLL or something, to try all sorts of odd frequencies in small incremements.

The anyCLK device I am using can do that.

I also echo the above experience with clock doubling hanging my board. Mine is in the closet atm, haven’t messed with it in a bit though.

Feipoa, I think I recall you are using symphony chipset boards mostly? Trying to recall.

Could the issues be chipset centered in general? Or bios maybe?

I have pondered trying a mr bios on my board but haven’t tracked down a file I want to try yet (haven’t looked hard)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 1078 of 1199, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ChrisXF wrote on 2023-11-13, 14:35:

Yeah I need to get an anyCLK I think!

My board (DC386wb) has a Mr BIOS, it's quite a bit nicer than the AMI it came with.

Btw, I recommend ordering round pins for the AnyCLK, it comes with square ones and they want you to solder it on, i ended up breaking a via on my board trying to do that. Best to zip tie it into the socket with round pins IMHO

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-