VOGONS

First post, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of those full AT systems with discrete logic and that one VLSI chip? There is an example on the Redhill website here, (scroll down), though there are a few variants. They were usually sold by Amptron/DTK, and I (maybe) have found an AMI one.

How well does they work? Will one go to 33 or 40 Mhz?

Last edited by Moogle! on 2017-07-22, 20:03. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Moogle! wrote:

There is an example on the Redhill website here, though there are a few variants.

I got this error message: http://redhill.net.au/hotlink-error.png

Edit: I assume you meant the "DTK PEM-2500 Cache 386" model at http://redhill.net.au/b/b-92.html
If that link doesn't work, go index->mainboards->Golden oldies for 286 and 386

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 18, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a couple early 486 boards with a million chips on them, freaking huge.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 3 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yours is built by AMI, or does it just have an amibios? AMI boards are nice.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Moogle! wrote:

One of those full AT systems with discrete logic and that one VLSI chip?

Once, I had got an AT mainboard with about the same size..

Moogle! wrote:

How well does it work?

The board I once had worked just fine, even came with some diagnostic software built-in.

Moogle! wrote:

Will one go to 33 or 40 Mhz?

Hard to tell. Perhaps? It would require some heatsinks and/or faster ICs at some point. Also, the long traces don't do higher frequencies so well.
If it's just about CPU clock speed, a Cyrix 486DRx2 could do. It has a clock-doubling feature and runs on 25MHz bus frequency, too.
Don't know about the cache feature, though. Mainboards so ancient may or may not have the socket wired up for that.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 18, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Yours is built by AMI, or does it just have an amibios? AMI boards are nice.

Not mine, just one I was looking at (edit: may or may not have been). They're kind of rare, but AMI did build actual boards, and you can find some instructions manuals on their website.

Ironically enough, they don't generally provide bios updates, or I haven't found them.

Jo22 wrote:

Don't know about the cache feature, though. Mainboards so ancient may or may not have the socket wired up for that.

Some of them did. That one listed in on RedHill actually does.

Reply 6 of 18, by pauls640

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have one of them, it'a PEM 2500, a 386 board. It's one of my best guarded treasures 😀 . It came with a 386-25 onboard. I want to do some fancy project with it, at the moment is sitting unused.

Reply 7 of 18, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A also have one of these rare animals... built by DTK it is a PEM-3334D, with DTK and VLSI chipsets.

Though it is a full length AT size board, not those huge AT boards, and comes with a 66MHz OSC onboard for 33MHz FSB.

Last edited by 386_junkie on 2017-09-26, 07:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 8 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an AMI one, full-size with VLSI, however it doesn't seem too keen on clock-doubling feature of the DRx2 or SXL2. I need to investigate this further at some point. The 40 MHz SXL, DLC, i386, and AMD 386 work fine though.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 9 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Err, I think the poster is asking about full size AT 386 boards, not full length baby AT.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You are probably right. I just clicked on the link provided and looked at the first and second photo, however I agree, he is probably referring to the 3rd photo down, in which case, nope - don't have one of those anymore.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 11 of 18, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I don't have a full AT 386 BUTTTTTTT..... I do have two FULL AT dual socket 8 motherboards. I have pics in this thread: Bitchin' dual p-pro setup

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12 of 18, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Err, I think the poster is asking about full size AT 386 boards, not full length baby AT.

Having discovered the DTK board I picked up... I found that the full length boards were the last in the series of 386 DTK boards... which started off with 386SX boards... and those huge AT variants.

It's evolution... would be interesting to see, all things equal, tests between a discrete logic AT DTK board and chipset full length DTK board.

Edit; -

... i.e. A DTK PEM-2500 v DTK PEM-3334

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 13 of 18, by pauls640

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
386_junkie wrote:
Having discovered the DTK board I picked up... I found that the full length boards were the last in the series of 386 DTK boards […]
Show full quote
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Having discovered the DTK board I picked up... I found that the full length boards were the last in the series of 386 DTK boards... which started off with 386SX boards... and those huge AT variants.

It's evolution... would be interesting to see, all things equal, tests between a discrete logic AT DTK board and chipset full length DTK board.

Edit; -

... i.e. A DTK PEM-2500 v DTK PEM-3334

That can be sorted out, cause I also have a full lenght baby AT, it's not from DTK though. I suspect that the baby AT is faster, because of the more modern chipset and the smaller size.

Reply 14 of 18, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I happen to have one of these full-sized AT boards. It's a Unisys PW2 800 system board. I believe it was actually made by Micronics.

The board runs (yep, it works) on i386DX-20 along with i385 cache controller and i387 coprocessor. It has 32kb of cache. There are some nice jumper cables which seem to to mean an early revision (?) The chipset is based on two Zymos chips: Poach 1 and Poach 2. It also has built-in WD serial/parallel controller. Some propietary expansion slot I know nothing about.

I love the board. Unfortunately I could not find any reference and don't know how to set the jumpers and switches.

fm3iHrl.jpg

Reply 15 of 18, by pauls640

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A quick note on the DTK PEM 2500 motherboard: if you read the article provided by OP, they state the mobo is from 1990, because they looked at the BIOS copyright date, but in fact the product was selling in 1989 as well, as you can see from this ad on Infoworld : (https://books.google.it/books?id=czAEAAAAMBAJ … e%20386&f=false)

What happened here is that they designed this board a year or two earlier, and decided to keep alive the design to accomodate faster 386's, probably because the whole project was costly, and performance of the board was decent enough.

The board in fact can run a DX-33 (as you can see from this ad), but I think it's slower than a more modern board.

I'll take advantage of a rainy weekend, and make some benchmarks 😉.

Reply 16 of 18, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tikoellner wrote on 2017-09-26, 22:01:
I happen to have one of these full-sized AT boards. It's a Unisys PW2 800 system board. I believe it was actually made by Micron […]
Show full quote

I happen to have one of these full-sized AT boards. It's a Unisys PW2 800 system board. I believe it was actually made by Micronics.

The board runs (yep, it works) on i386DX-20 along with i385 cache controller and i387 coprocessor. It has 32kb of cache. There are some nice jumper cables which seem to to mean an early revision (?) The chipset is based on two Zymos chips: Poach 1 and Poach 2. It also has built-in WD serial/parallel controller. Some propietary expansion slot I know nothing about.

I love the board. Unfortunately I could not find any reference and don't know how to set the jumpers and switches.

fm3iHrl.jpg

Well, 2 years later we started building a database and guess what, I think I found your board:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/acer-m … f-pc-1100-25-33

Reply 18 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a giant DTK PEM-3301 386. It works well but is huge :p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun