VOGONS

Terrible performance help, 486SX-33

Topic actions

First post, by narunetto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone, I recently got a Packard Bell I've been trying to restore and I finally got everything software wise where it needed to be but after booting it up for the first time everything was painfully slow. It took 5 minutes to even get the Windows 3.11 install to boot to idle and everything is laggy including the mouse! I downloaded Norton System Information 8.0 and ran the CPU speed test and well... it doesn't seem right at all. I've attached the benchmark result, which is 3.8.

I'm lost on where to go here... is the CPU dead? Is something screwy in the configuration? Any help would be very greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• badcpu.png
    Filename
    badcpu.png
    File size
    327.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
narunetto wrote:

Any help would be very greatly appreciated, thanks!

Well, I'm not sure at the moment. Maybe some sort of throttling function is enabled (any turbo button pins on the mainboard ?)
Did you try to reset the CMOS (BIOS) settings to defaults ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 21, by narunetto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, the defaults have been reset a few times. From what I can tell with various diagrams, there's no turbo button but there's a software turbo function, but if I try to use it it beeps as if it's been turned up all the way even after pressing it multiple times. I thought that at first, honestly but nothing really changed.

I attached the BIOS config but there's not really anything there I can see.

Attachments

• bios2.png
    Filename
    bios2.png
    File size
    425.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • bios1.png
    Filename
    bios1.png
    File size
    426.93 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 3 of 21, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Turbo button not pressed...?

is the CPU dead?

No, that's not how computers work. The speed will not magically decrease. The CPU can either maintain its speed or not. In the later case, the system would simply no longer work at all.

Reply 4 of 21, by narunetto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I pretty much thought that was impossible but from all of my years with this stuff, this one is puzzling me. There is no physical turbo button on this system and no place I can see on the motherboard after looking at 3 diagrams of it.

Reply 5 of 21, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
narunetto wrote:

There is no physical turbo button on this system and no place I can see on the motherboard after looking at 3 diagrams of it.

Can you tell us what mainboard is that exactly?

Reply 6 of 21, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since this is an OEM build, it's probably an OEM board. Could you take a few pictures of the board and available jumpers and perhaps give us a link to the manual? This does seem like a turbo or cache issue, perhaps you're missing something.

Reply 7 of 21, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could this be one of those situations where you added more memory than the motherboard supports? 20mb isn’t a very typical 486sx-33 oem configuration. I’d try with 8mb.

Last edited by BinaryDemon on 2018-04-07, 14:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 8 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the CPU fan working properly ? Some systems throttle if there's no fan detected.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 21, by narunetto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://j12345.users1.50megs.com/menu/pb430/pb430lay.asp.htm
This is the motherboard, it doesn't have any extra cache in the sockets which seems to be normal after looking up videos and stuff about similar ones. I can get some actual pictures later if needed.

BinaryDemon wrote:

Could this be one of those situations where you added more memory than the motherboard supports? 20mb isn’t a very typical 486sx-33 oem configuration. I’d try with 8mb.

I actually put more RAM in it after I figured out this problem just for a troubleshooting step, didn't change anything.

Reply 12 of 21, by narunetto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem with that is, its a full front panel connector that is one long connection. Maybe it's failed I guess? I didn't think about that. There's no actual buttons from that connector unless they're hidden under the front plastic.

Reply 17 of 21, by narunetto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got another screenshot from another utility. Says it's running at 15 MHz... cool... it really does seem like a turbo problem but nothing really changes when screwing with turbo options.

Attachments

• IMG_20180407_164139.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20180407_164139.jpg
    File size
    130.54 KiB
    Views
    File license