VOGONS

Reply 20 of 44, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Come on guys, there's only 4 days to reach the goal! We have to speed this up 😉 I can't believe it goes so slow.... There are 32721 members on this forum and only 263 people backed this project up! WHAT A SHAME!

I wish there was a way to target more people in the final days of this project...
I keep my fingers crossed anyway 😉

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 21 of 44, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congratulation on successfully funding the campain, at last!

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 22 of 44, by Mr. horse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
voodoo5_6k wrote:
Wow, that's great, thanks a lot :) Good luck with the campaign! […]
Show full quote
kaiser77_1982 wrote:

Hello voodoo5_6k

You are right, I've decided to include the ebook with the printed book

Wow, that's great, thanks a lot 😀 Good luck with the campaign!

blurks wrote:

in this case a guy named "Oscar"

Like kaiser77_1982 already wrote, Oscar is not just some guy collecting 3dfx cards. He has accumulated a lot of knowledge in terms of troubleshooting and fixing these cards, including the rare Rampage prototypes. And he developed and improved ways of modifiying those cards (e.g. maxing out the RAM, 64MB per VSA-100). I had sent him my Voodoo5 6000 when it seemed like it may be defective (luckily, it wasn't, just a motherboard incompatibility). He was even featured in a large German PC gaming hardware magazine sometime last year. In my opinion, he is definitely someone who needs to be included in such a book.

64mb is not maxed out for a vsa100 that's 128mb

No sir I don't like it!

Reply 23 of 44, by Mr. horse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kaiser77_1982 wrote:
Hello blurks, I think you have a wrong impression. […]
Show full quote
blurks wrote:

Hello blurks, I think you have a wrong impression.

Oscar Barea is one of the biggest collector (he has more of 100 prototypes of 3dfx) and he have talked with many workers of 3dfx, from technicals until CEOs/Founders. Noone has 2 Rampages cards less him. You only have to look for his name in internet: https://www.google.es/search?q=oscar+barea+3d … chrome&ie=UTF-8
If you can get other expert better, I can work with him.

The book will have unknown facts, you have here two:
- https://twitter.com/3dfxlegacy/status/1068077169274994691
- https://twitter.com/oscar_barea/status/546683394558791680
I am not to going to say all unknown facts before of the release.

A book about a company have to have all. I think the guide of Voodoo2 SLI is useful, and "my experience with 3dfx" is a soft chapter after all data and history. It is curious and funny.

If this was a fan-proyect, I would not want funds to pay native translators:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sebastian-maharg-6a155963/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/rodrigo-maharg-09375815
(and profesional design) I am Spanish and my English is bad to translate a book.

You should include trevormacro in this book. He has many 3dfx cards and prototypes.

By the way I knew the facts you posted in twitter. I bet you don't even have the paper work with all the contracts and financial information related to nvidia buying 3dfx. I have them. And the board reports from 3dfx before the sell out.

To me this is just another person trying to capitalize on someone elses work and spamming a small internet forum begging for money.
All the images you used so far are publicly available and might even be copyrighted. Do you have the right to use such images?

No sir I don't like it!

Reply 24 of 44, by kaiser77_1982

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Mr. horse

I am sorry if you don't like the book.

I have a part for the last months of 3dfx but I don't have the contracts. I don't know trevormacro, at least with that nick but I will look for him.

To me this is just another person trying to capitalize on someone elses work and spamming a small internet forum begging for money.

Without a editorial or knowledge of English, I only can use a crowdfunding platform for translating and printing. Do you know other option to do this?

All the images you used so far are publicly available and might even be copyrighted. Do you have the right to use such images?

The permissions are in the page before of the table of contents.

Good night

Reply 25 of 44, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mr. horse wrote:

Source?

Mr. horse wrote:

You should include trevormacro in this book. He has many 3dfx cards and prototypes.

Oh yes, he should be included indeed. As a mention that it was him who has ruined the V5 6k community by his lame attempts to put overkill cooling solutions on the rare cards that are so much sought after. How many cards has he killed? 10? For sure does he deserve to be mentioned!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 26 of 44, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great project!
Every that kind of work, effort and commitent should be much appreciated in our „retro community”, even If it doesn’t meet everyones „expectaions”. Mr. horse souds just like a typical hater - that’s weak...

I’m glad I could support this project! Great job @kaiser77_1982!

BTW... maybe one day someone will write a book about soundcards. The fall of adLib and Gravis and Rise of soud blasters 😜 with Roland and Yamaha in The background... maybe one day...

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 27 of 44, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:
Source? […]
Show full quote
Mr. horse wrote:

Source?

Mr. horse wrote:

Oh yes, he should be included indeed. As a mention that it was him who has ruined the V5 6k community by his lame attempts to put overkill cooling solutions on the rare cards that are so much sought after. How many cards has he killed? 10? For sure does he deserve to be mentioned!

Another one...... again the story about a guy killing 10 rare v5 6k cards. 😵

WHERE IS THE PROOF ABOUT THIS? I'm sorry but I've read this so many times year after year after year and ALL there is on the web that I can find is a very small section on a forum where people are extremely mad about him putting Play-doh on a card (he thought he killed it, later it seemed to still work). That's all I could ever find?

And he made imho very nice cooling setups but that is a personal opinion. People also got mad because he tried high overclocks on v5 6k cards? But people overclock rare items all the time so what's the big fuss about? It's ultimately their money and their stuff. People buy million dollar rare cars and put turbo kits on them, so what?

I'm sorry again but to me it mostly looked like jealousy from other people just because of the fact that he had a lot of money and bought a lot of voodoo5 6000 cards. Because people got mad about that too: He offered high amounts for cards to people that had them.... but hey, nobody was forced to sell them so I guess some people preferred the money, right?

It's an old story now (around 10 years or so?) and still every now and then people start yelling about it without any further details.

EDIT: got back at it again and indeed he ''killed'' one card before the ''play-doh'' card. He seemed to have send off one of the cards to get it back with completely custom (and very nice, no costs spared) watercooling and apparently the card didn't work anymore after it got back. 2 things about this: First, he was bummed about it so at least didn't kill cards on purpose like a lot of people say, and second, a guy with enough money for all those cards, custom cooling and prototypes would probably have no problem getting the card fixed again (by, for example, Oscar).

If the guy got an overclocking record of let's say 250mhz for the v5 6k he would have been a hero but now he's some kind of monster. People on other forums talked about how he was the reason of the high prices of 3dfx cards as he was buying even al normal voodoo5 5500 cards and killing them (RIGHT!), also claiming there were only 1K v5 5500 cards made etc. etc. making him a real big killer of cards 🤣

I don't know the guy, just the story but I think It's crazy how the internet works (and copies, and copies, and copies....stories, blowing them up)

Last edited by meljor on 2018-12-30, 03:37. Edited 1 time in total.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 28 of 44, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Almost all forum threads have been deleted or cleared, so you won't find any bulletproof evidence, sorry.
Jealosy? Maybe. But cars usually don't have a 100-200 copies number, so imho it's really far from fair to buy many rare cards for your big money to mod, overclock and kill it.
Very nice cooling setups? Do you really think V5 6k needs wster cooling? Imho a nice cooling setup is an appropriate one, not trying to cool your network controller chip with nitrogen to make it a superconductor.

All of the above is my personal opinion. I am much less against him in terms of cooling or whatsoever, but I am in terms of spoiling the community. Saw those old lists of v56k owners? Ever wondered why they are not updated anymore?

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 29 of 44, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are much rarer Cars than that actually, but it is greatly a matter of opinion.

I'm a ''voodoo-lover'' as well so I would prefer all the 6k cards to live, believe me. I also do not think they need massive cooling, I know about the fact that 3dfx was even thinking about passive cooling for the vsa chips. I just think he did put a lot of time, effort and money into making great cooling solutions for the cards. For me it made them more special (from the pics I saw at least) and surely would make them a lot more cooler than the original tiny fans.

But people make the same ''mistakes'' here all the time, putting their voodoo3's in the freezer just to get the heatsink off.... just to later put them back on with better paste and a fan.
Some cards get killed by that, but they just wanted better cooling to make the card last longer (Just add a fan, it's more than enough...).

My problem with this story is the fact that more and more people claim 10 (+) dying cards while there are no real stories/pictures about them. All you could ever find was a wining Gold Leader that was posting this ALL over the web on EVERY forum and making a lot of fuss about it.....He was also the one making ''the v5 6k list''. He was way to fond about his ''elite club'' of 3dfx collectors and was profiling himself like some sort of 3dfx authority. He was on Dutch forums too, never liked what I saw even tough he did now his 3dfx stuff. Just the way he brought it....he was the same here on Vogons later on.

And Trevormacro did have a lot of 3dfx cards but if you search for photo's he didn't have THAT many. To kill 10 cards you would have to own 10 working cards. If you exclude the Prototypes, load balancing test boards and 5500 cards from his pictures there remains a hand full of 6k cards that MIGHT have been working examples. I doubt very much that every 6k card of him worked as the working/reworked ones are even more rare to find.

Reply 30 of 44, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why even lust after the voodoo 5 6000 anyway. It has always been rare and stupidly expensive, you would never get one cheap.

By all accounts it was a pretty mediocre card, extremely fragile, stupid power arrangement, poor performance. This is why it never went into mass production.

I struggle to find a practical use for a this abomination of a card. (of course, this makes it all the more desirable for a certain section of collectors)

Reply 31 of 44, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:
Mr. horse wrote:

Source?

A regular SLI (not talking about quad-SLI) Napalm configuration is able to address 128 MB even though retail products were only shipped with 64 MB.

Mr. horse wrote:

By the way I knew the facts you posted in twitter. I bet you don't even have the paper work with all the contracts and financial information related to nvidia buying 3dfx. I have them. And the board reports from 3dfx before the sell out.

kaiser77_1982 wrote:

I don't know trevormacro, at least with that nick but I will look for him.

This says everything. Doesn't know shit about 3dfx and the "community" but insists on the quality of his "product". Hilarious...

Mr. horse wrote:

To me this is just another person trying to capitalize on someone elses work and spamming a small internet forum begging for money. All the images you used so far are publicly available and might even be copyrighted. Do you have the right to use such images?

Agreed. This "fanproject" seems to be a shady try to capitalize on what's already publicly available. Not worth a dime in my opinion.

Reply 32 of 44, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blurks wrote:

A regular SLI (not talking about quad-SLI) Napalm configuration is able to address 128 MB even though retail products were only shipped with 64 MB.

You've missed a little detail in the post by voodoo5_6k: "(e.g. maxing out the RAM, 64MB per VSA-100)"
And another thing - there was a retail product with 64 MB per VSA-100. Which one? Better you tell me, as you are the 3dfx wisenheimer 😉

blurks wrote:

This says everything. Doesn't know shit about 3dfx and the "community" but insists on the quality of his "product". Hilarious...
Agreed. This "fanproject" seems to be a shady try to capitalize on what's already publicly available. Not worth a dime in my opinion.

If you guys have some info, documents, findings, images, unique knowledge and/or experience, why don't you just share and collaborate? This is a crowd-funded (read community-made) project, now you can offer your help and make the final product better. The author is absolutely open and ready for constructive criticism and changes/additions. It would be absolutely much more appreciated instead of your spitting with poison, believe me.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 34 of 44, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, a V4 4500 modded up to 128 Mb? Great, thanks for info - look, you can if you try!
I always based myself on this slide from the official ppt:

Screenshot_20181230-081356_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20181230-081356_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
File size
563.69 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 35 of 44, by kaiser77_1982

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
blurks wrote:
Better you update your knowledge concerning 3dfx stuff. A little help for you: Click […]
Show full quote

Better you update your knowledge concerning 3dfx stuff. A little help for you: Click

imag006l2d4.jpg

128o40v.jpg

Great info!!! I knew that few games need 64MB and (imho) for this V4/5 only was released in 32MB. This info is very curious. Do you test well the card? Like said hard1k, the max was 64MB according 3dfx. I see cases like this in other companies, and the reason used to be errors or "something strange" in the card. For that, they lower the specifications.

Can I use the photos in my book to proof the max? I will put your name.

Reply 37 of 44, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, I remember him. He was the first to do those RAM mods and the first to finally make a successful mod of V5 5500 up to 128 Mb. Then Oscar and zx-c64 developed upon his methods and instructions. Never knew he went further up to 128 Mb for a single VSA-100.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 38 of 44, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote:

Why even lust after the voodoo 5 6000 anyway. It has always been rare and stupidly expensive, you would never get one cheap.

By all accounts it was a pretty mediocre card, extremely fragile, stupid power arrangement, poor performance. This is why it never went into mass production.

I struggle to find a practical use for a this abomination of a card. (of course, this makes it all the more desirable for a certain section of collectors)

Then why not go one step further and say why even lust about ANYTHING?

Reply 39 of 44, by Mr. horse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
blurks wrote:

These are not my pictures. To my understanding a guy called Komponent from the voodooalert.de forum or a similar one has done the mod and the screenshots.

There are a few 5500 out there with 256 of ram too. I recall seeing someone put 256mb of ram on a vsa100 but ran into problems.

And not knowing trevormacro is laughable if you atend to write a book about the history of 3dfx and the community. He kill it off in more ways then one.
Thats like writing a history book about a famous person that was murdered and saying nothing the guy that killed him.

No sir I don't like it!