VOGONS

First post, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I need some advice on this topic.
Which Pentium 3 (Tualatin or Coppermine) should I use for OC to have a STABLE 166MHz BUS?

The best option would be to reach around 1400 MHz WITHOUT increasing voltage of the CPU

So far I have tried some Celeron Tualatins (1000, 1200) and early coppermines (800 and 733) but 166 MHz seems too much for them without more voltage... they just won't boot.

The only successful ones so far were:
- Tualatin 1133-S MHz (SL5PU)
- Coppermine 1000 MHz (SL52R)
but they are UNSTABLE (won't let Windows to load)

Any suggestions as to what S-Spec Number should I use?

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 1 of 31, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1400MHz isn't feasible with any Coppermine. If you want FSB headroom, I'd suggest going for the lowest-clocked 133MHz Coppermine P3, so a P3-533EB. Running that at 166MHz would only push the core to 667MHz, which should be well within the capabilites of even an early stepping Coppermine.

Reply 2 of 31, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The thing is I have to get as close to 1400 as possible 😉 The best way would be to find Pentium III 1133 (Coppermine) SL5B2, SL4YV and try them out: 8,5 x 166MHz = 1411 MHz 😀
Unfortunately, I don't think I will ever find one that is one thing 😜 and the other thing is that you just said it is not possible to reach around 1400 with Coppermine... what is their maximum speed when it comes to overclocking?

Better solution is to find one of those 1133 MHz Tualatin-S CPUs that are able to work flawlessly at 166MHz:
SL5LV, SL6BW, SL6JM. I already tried SL5PU but was unsuccessful.... it has tA1 stepping, I want to try now SL6BW with tB1 stepping like this one:
https://ebay.to/2PzjNEr

The ideal solution is to buy a Tualatin Engineering sample with unlocked multiplier... ANYONE HERE HAS ONE? 😁

ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 3 of 31, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

coppermines won't run that fast. There is a reason the models over 1Ghz and early 1Ghz ones are that rare, intel never got them reliably stable even at that clock speed. 1.4 GHZ are pretty much out of the question for any coppermine CPU. you will need a tualatin to reach that.

Reply 4 of 31, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mind if I ask what's your reason for the OC?
1400MHz Tualatins already exist and barely cost more than the one in your link.
If you want to get close to 1.4GHz, this is is the easiest way. And if you want higher FSB, I guess you can lower the CPU multiplier to maintain 1.4GHz.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 5 of 31, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Koltoroc wrote:

coppermines won't run that fast.

I am sure they will run faster then 1200 MHz at least 😉 It;s just a matter of a good batch 😀

RandomStranger wrote:

Mind if I ask what's your reason for the OC?

Well, there are several reasons...
- first is that I want to compare the performance of 166 MHz Coppermines with 133 Tualatins...
- then I want to compare the Performance of 166 MHz Tualatins with Atholns and Atholns XPs....
- but the most important thing is to run them stable on a motherboard that supports 166 FSB bus and has the right dividers for AGP/PCI at 166 😀

RandomStranger wrote:

1400MHz Tualatins already exist and

I already have those 😉

RandomStranger wrote:

I guess you can lower the CPU multiplier to maintain 1.4GHz.

How can I lower that when all the Tualatins have multiplier lock? 😜 Do I have to make some pin mods?

ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 6 of 31, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VooDooMan wrote:
RandomStranger wrote:

I guess you can lower the CPU multiplier to maintain 1.4GHz.

How can I lower that when all the Tualatins have multiplier lock? 😜 Do I have to make some pin mods?

It's just guess. Later CPU's with locked multipliers allowed to lower the multiplier and unlocked ones alowed to set it higher and I know I can change the multiplier any way I want for my Coppermine in an Abit VH6T motherboard through BIOS though I never tried OC. As for my Tualatin setup, it has a motherboard salvaged from a workstation, so I don't think it supports OC features. 😵

After your reply I did a quick search and it does look like the P3 CPUs force their base multiplier regardless of what I'd set in the BIOS. If that's the case, then I guess you shoud check your 1.4GHz Tualatin and find something with the same stepping. This is just my guess again, but I'd expect that the exact same CPU with a lower default clock shoud be able to handle 1.4GHz.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 7 of 31, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VooDooMan wrote:

The best way would be to find Pentium III 1133 (Coppermine) SL5B2, SL4YV and try them out: 8,5 x 166MHz = 1411 MHz 😀
Unfortunately, I don't think I will ever find one that is one thing 😜

There is a third version: SL5QK but I never see any of these in the wild. The next best thing may be the 850 fsb 100 stepping cD0 SL4Z2; the one that I have here runs at 133 Mhz without overvolting which I only found out by accident because I am not into OC 😀 at all.

850-oldb2.jpg
Filename
850-oldb2.jpg
File size
382.19 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 31, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VooDooMan wrote:

I am sure they will run faster then 1200 MHz at least 😉 It;s just a matter of a good batch 😀

That is the problem, there is no good batch. The 1133 ones were OEM only and later recalled for instability, just like the first batch of the 1Ghz variety.

Reply 9 of 31, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARKE wrote:
VooDooMan wrote:

The best way would be to find Pentium III 1133 (Coppermine) SL5B2, SL4YV and try them out: 8,5 x 166MHz = 1411 MHz 😀

There is a third version: SL5QK but I never see any of these in the wild. The next best thing may be the 850 fsb 100 stepping cD0 SL4Z2; the one that I have here runs at 133 Mhz without overvolting which I only found out by accident because I am not into OC 😀 at all.

850-oldb2.jpg

Thanks for this information! But I think you uploaded the wrong picture 😜

Koltoroc wrote:

That is the problem, there is no good batch. The 1133 ones were OEM only and later recalled for instability, just like the first batch of the 1Ghz variety.

hmmm... So this:
https://bit.ly/2QrjVuI
is just pure photoshop work, right? 😜

ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 10 of 31, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VooDooMan wrote:
PARKE wrote:
VooDooMan wrote:

The attachment 850-oldb2.jpg is no longer available

Thanks for this information! But I think you uploaded the wrong picture 😜
>>
>>
It is the photo of the 850/fsb100 version that I have here - and as you can see it has the same architecture as the EB 1000.

850-1000.JPG
Filename
850-1000.JPG
File size
212.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 31, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARKE wrote:

It is the photo of the 850/fsb100 version that I have here - and as you can see it has the same architecture as the EB 1000.

850-1000.JPG

OK, thank you I get it now 😀

ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 13 of 31, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

is just pure photoshop work, right?

That's just liquid nitrogen, Sunny Jim. Besides, that's not even stable overclock.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 14 of 31, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

is just pure photoshop work, right?

That's just liquid nitrogen, Sunny Jim. Besides, that's not even stable overclock.

Well, I am aware of that 😉 I am not trying to reach extreme clocks like they do with liquid nitrogen... I am just trying to get a stable 166 FSB on a coppermine/tualatin with AIR colling that will reach around 1400 MHz. I need some advice from EXPERIENCED overclockers (since I am not experienced at all in this topic) which processor to use to achieve that, and not to hear that it is impossible to get 166 FSB on a coppermine...

ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 15 of 31, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Step 1:
Get a batch of 850mhz/100 FSB CPUs, around twenty should be enough.
Step 2:
Overclock.
Step 3:
Pray for a miracle.
Step 4:
?????
Step 5:
PROFIT!

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 16 of 31, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@The Serpent Rider, sounds like a good plan, but should I buy only SL4Z2 850/100 CPUs or with other specs too?
The easier option is to try all the 1000MHz/133 FSB CPUs I have and to see which one will be stable at 166MHz. The main clock would be 1250MHz though, but it sounds more realistic than hopping from 850 to 1411MHz...

ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 17 of 31, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VooDooMan wrote:

I am just trying to get a stable 166 FSB on a coppermine/tualatin with AIR colling that will reach around 1400 MHz. I need some advice from EXPERIENCED overclockers (since I am not experienced at all in this topic) which processor to use to achieve that, and not to hear that it is impossible to get 166 FSB on a coppermine...

As said I am not into overclocking and certainly not experienced but I have done a lot of reading on the topic and the general concensus of what I read implied that Coppermines do not run stable over 150 Mhz. But you are of course welcome to try 😀

Reply 18 of 31, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VooDooMan wrote:

@The Serpent Rider, sounds like a good plan, but should I buy only SL4Z2 850/100 CPUs or with other specs too?
The easier option is to try all the 1000MHz/133 FSB CPUs I have and to see which one will be stable at 166MHz. The main clock would be 1250MHz though, but it sounds more realistic than hopping from 850 to 1411MHz...

There is only 1 (one) 850/100 with stepping cD0 and that is the SL4Z2; an earlier stepping that I tried refused to boot at 133 Mhz. The 100 fsb =>850 Mhz is meaningless in this context, the 850 and the 1.13 cD0 steppings are the same chip and the 850 is for some reason marketed as 850 instead of 1.13 by INTEL. The only aspect that matters for your goal is the 8.5 multiplier.

Reply 19 of 31, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARKE wrote:
VooDooMan wrote:

There is only 1 (one) 850/100 with stepping cD0 and that is the SL4Z2; an earlier stepping that I tried refused to boot at 133 Mhz. The 100 fsb =>850 Mhz is meaningless in this context, the 850 and the 1.13 cD0 steppings are the same chip and the 850 is for some reason marketed as 850 instead of 1.13 by INTEL. The only aspect that matters for your goal is the 8.5 multiplier.

Thank you very much, now this is the most informative answer I got in this thread 😉
So, I know that I should look for processors with cD0 steppings 😀 I will look for them and buy as much as I can...

I will also try out other CPUs with cD0 stepping and different multipliers to see which will work at 166 MHz 😀

What about Tualatins? I already know that SL5PU does not work and its stepping is tA1.

ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III