VOGONS

Driver Help

Topic actions

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to get my chipset drivers installed on my fresh Windows 98SE install, but whenever I install the readily available latest release v1.21, it gives me a Windows Protection Error. The drivers are from 2005... I have struggled to find an earlier version of the driver.

However, the 1.21 driver folder has a folder within it called "old", and the driver in that folder is dated 2002. How can I make the setup utility install that version instead of the current version? The 1.21 drivers are in a folder called current, I assume the installer looks into that current folder. Could I just move the contents of the old folder to the current folder?

Reply 3 of 6, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If its the GART driver, I seem to recall v1.17E being the next earliest version I used on my SIS chipset boards.

SIS agp117e.jpg
Filename
SIS agp117e.jpg
File size
70.9 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Get it here https://web.archive.org/web/20040605063616/ht … agp/agp117e.exe

Reply 5 of 6, by JackH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you get it working with that 1.17E ? I too have that "Windows protection error" problem in Win98SE , but with SIS 745 on Socket A motherboard (ECS K7S6A rev1.0). I deleted that 1.21 in safe mode and now should I try install that 1.17E or other versions that I have found: 1.19A , 1.17 , 1.16A (I can share if you or others want). Does others have had this problem with SIS chipsets + W98 and how you solved it? Should this driver to be installed before GPU drivers? EDIT: I got it working(?) with 1.19A even with GPU drivers already installed.

Reply 6 of 6, by TonyE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JackH wrote on 2022-04-24, 18:01:

Did you get it working with that 1.17E ? I too have that "Windows protection error" problem in Win98SE , but with SIS 745 on Socket A motherboard (ECS K7S6A rev1.0). I deleted that 1.21 in safe mode and now should I try install that 1.17E or other versions that I have found: 1.19A , 1.17 , 1.16A (I can share if you or others want). Does others have had this problem with SIS chipsets + W98 and how you solved it? Should this driver to be installed before GPU drivers? EDIT: I got it working(?) with 1.19A even with GPU drivers already installed.

Hello!
Have just registered to thank you for your research.
I have suffered the exact same problem also with an ECS K7S6A . So I have gone directly to 1.19A after finding your post, and problem got solved.
It seems on current SIS website you can only get the latest 1.21, so I managed to get it by searching for one of the old links on internet archive.
For anyone who needs it, here is the link to one of the captures:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060813180228/ht … agp/agp119a.zip

Thanks again.