Maxing Intel P45 memory

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 43, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-10-22, 07:34:

Chrome and modern web browsing in general is a special topic. They consume RAM in large quantity.

Guilty as charged :'(

I try to avoid having to use the net with any of my non-main rigs, mainly because of this (and it keeps the other rigs lean(er) and clean(er) 😜 ).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 41 of 43, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2020-10-22, 11:49:

While your advice is generally speaking correct, you cannot deny the interest in wanting to max out any particular system, which imo is a scenario within reality.
Having said that, I too have looked into getting larger sized DDR2 modules and these seemed harder to find in larger sizes.

Tetrium wrote on 2020-10-22, 12:05:

Those articles are not about RAM and the experience you claim of this knowledge to be generic and publicly widely accepted as fact is untrue.

Those posts you're replying to are from almost 2 years ago. Must be fun beating a dead horse, eh? 🤣

What I learned from this thread is that it's much easier to get 4GB DDR2 desktop RAM that works with AMD chipsets, than with Intel chipsets.

4GB DDR2 laptop sticks are much easier to find, albeit expensive.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 42 of 43, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oohms wrote on 2019-02-10, 00:58:
Overclocking memory does get tested at their rated speeds.. I have a set of OCZ (lol) pc9600 reapers rated at 5-5-5 and they do […]
Show full quote
The Serpent Rider wrote:

This has nothing to do with "black markets". OCZ was just pushing chips too far without proper testing, which eventually lead to their downfall. OCZ, Corsair and many other manufacturers of that kind mostly sell preoverclocked memory. Overclocking is always a lottery.

The Serpent Rider wrote:

you can get ddr2 1200mhz in 2gb sticks

They're mediocre at best. Practically none of that memory is capable of doing 1200mhz with 5-5-5-15, only 6-6-6-18 (premium modules) or worse. Although it does not matter, because 775 platform can't make use of such high clocks anyway.

Overclocking memory does get tested at their rated speeds.. I have a set of OCZ (lol) pc9600 reapers rated at 5-5-5 and they do that speed fine, but not on all motherboards. Once you get to the very fastest ratings, the motherboards and user experience becomes the limiting factor..

Either way.. after 10+ years, a lot of ram modules seem to fail because of old age.. i've thrown out 20+gb of DDR2 of all sorts of brands/speed ratings

The funny thing is, at some point I did get some memory and one of the modules was a single DDR1 module from OCZ (lol) and the heatspreader had started to let go on one side.
Reckon this could be due to old age the glue holding the heatspreaders in place might have started to (perhaps invisibly) started to fail?

This will probably be not the full story though, even if it were true. Just wanted to mention it since we were on the topic and I remembered it 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 43 of 43, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote on 2020-10-22, 12:11:
Those posts you're replying to are from almost 2 years ago. Must be fun beating a dead horse, eh? :lol: […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2020-10-22, 11:49:

While your advice is generally speaking correct, you cannot deny the interest in wanting to max out any particular system, which imo is a scenario within reality.
Having said that, I too have looked into getting larger sized DDR2 modules and these seemed harder to find in larger sizes.

Tetrium wrote on 2020-10-22, 12:05:

Those articles are not about RAM and the experience you claim of this knowledge to be generic and publicly widely accepted as fact is untrue.

Those posts you're replying to are from almost 2 years ago. Must be fun beating a dead horse, eh? 🤣

What I learned from this thread is that it's much easier to get 4GB DDR2 desktop RAM that works with AMD chipsets, than with Intel chipsets.

4GB DDR2 laptop sticks are much easier to find, albeit expensive.

Fair enough, but it's barely older than 1 1/2 years btw and one of those that you mention is an old reply, is in fact from today.
I don't get your fun beating a dead horse reply though, since I had simply overlooked and it's in no way some kind of hobby of mine 😜

I kinda skipped the DDR2 altogether, so I don't know about the details of the motherboards that used them. I am however fairly sure that very few (if any) used DDR2 laptop sticks which is somewhat irrelevant to OP's original question.

Report spammers here!