VOGONS

First post, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been having problems with a 128 GB USB Flash Drive, suddenly-freezing transfers of which seemed to start intermittently a few months ago, and now every time I transfer data from said flash drive to the hard drive. Also, Scandisk reports cross-linked clusters (in short, files jammed together, with no concept of personal space. 🤣) that it needs to fix, every time. I've also had to reload the system's registry once.

I guess Windows 98 doesn't like drives higher than 127 GB... (Given what I've heard about support in LBA drive geometry, or something like that.)

I'm buying some cheap 4 GB flash drives, hoping to alleviate the problem, since the files that I transfer aren't THAT big.

Reply 2 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

128GB limit only applies to IDE drives connected to standard IDE controller, it is a limitation in the IDE driver of 9x as it is not LBA48 aware. USB storage, SCSI and SATA addon cards do not suffer from the 128GB limit and will all be usable up to 2TB size.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 4, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote:

you probably have to patch the OS assuming there's nothing wrong with the USB drive, or that you have any flaky hardware.

Well, I have noticed that the USB ports, and the PS/2 connectors, on the motherboard are not in the best of shape. USB Cables frequently slip out of one of them (I think one of them is loose), the PS/2 Ports look slightly battered, and sometimes Windows doesn't detect my mouse, even if the connector is secure in the port. I'm considering buying replacement ports.

EDIT: That was IT! I have an extra USB card in a PCI slot, and it worked perfectly! As soon as I am able to save up my money, I'll try to do a professional-style repair on it.

Reply 4 of 4, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I DID IT! 😁 The USB ports were bad! (In fact, one of them was missing the plastic support that holds the contacts to each other!)

I was going to complain that I had lost my motherboard's USB capability, because after I soldered, I still couldn't get it to work. But looking at it closer, I didn't make a good joint, so I had to heat up the solder again, and the repair now seems permanent, with only a small amount of damage that seems superficial (no lifted traces, no hack-together soldering, only some small spots on the board delaminated).