VOGONS

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Managed to install a MFM hard drive in my Turbo XT recently 😀

I found a WD1002A-WX1 8-bit MFM interface in a bag of parts I got given when I bought a lot of systems a while ago. In the bag was also one of these bezels to stick on the front of a hard drive in order to mount it in a 5.25" bay. I always liked the look of these things - from the bygone era when there were no internal bays in PC cases and HDDs had to be mounted in the floppy drive bays...

bHRAGovl.jpg

RIbiMWUl.jpg

I had this spare 20Mb Kalok KL-320 MFM drive I removed from a 286 machine. I tried installing it in my XT with the WD interface but it wouldn't work. Checked the jumpers, they appeared to be set up correctly so I burned the "F300" Bios (found here) on an Atmel chip and stuck it on the card. Still wouldn't work. The MFM drive was working in the 286 machine, but I understood I needed to low-level format it in the XT for the computer to recognize it. After summoning the formatting utility from the WD BIOS and formatting the drive, it was just a matter of FDISK and format... and now I have glorious MFM soundtrack in my XT 🤣

RHdA8aal.jpg

aNzThRal.jpg

Curious to know if any of you are also using MFM drives in your XT systems? How do you deal with file transfers? I was using an XT-IDE-CF card before but of course it can't work with the MFM interface so I'm sacrificing easy file transfers and also HD floppy support. I plan to get around that by installing an 8-bit network card in the system and using mTCP.

Also, since the case only has two external bays I'm sacrificing dual floppies. I need to find a working 5.25" 360k black drive - this one in 1.2M and doesn't seem to read disks. I could also hide the MFM in the third bay (internal) but then it wouldn't look as vintage 🤣

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 1 of 20, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think majority of XT users use MFM HDDs, myself included.
As for file transfer, I usually use LAN, but I also keep some later machine with a 360KB FDD - after all, the networking software has to be somehow installed on the XT's HDD first...

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 2 of 20, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All you need is a parallel or serial cable to establish basic connectivity between an early DOS computer and a later one. So long as the newer machine has INTERLNK/INTERSVR (i.e. DOS 5 or 6) you're good to go.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 20, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Vtech Laser XT Turbo has the famous ST225, though I have never gotten it to read. The motherboard has been in the repair pile for a while, been hacking away at it over the years. Doesn't need too much more.

Premio 212B motherboard (MSI MS-6112)
Intel PentiumII 333MHz Slot 1 66MHz bus
384MB ECC 66MHz
SIIG ATA133 controller --> Seagate Barracuda 80GB
SIIG Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8169) / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 controller
ESS 1869 soundcard on board wavetable synth

Reply 4 of 20, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gave up on MFM drives. Fitted a XT-IDE card. A lot more choices and a BigFoot hdd fits nicely in the drive bay.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 20, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My turbo XT with NEC v20@10MHz has a 20MB WDC262

For file transfer I simply use floppy disks and ethernet with mTCP.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 20, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

my IBM 5150 is equipped with two working ST-225s in the left full height bay, and dual floppies in the right bay

I use a WD8003 NIC and mTCP for file transfer, it's honestly easier than moving a CF card around and the FTP programs have no problem saturating the disk I/O

Reply 7 of 20, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My IBM 5160 XT build has a Seagate ST-225 MFM drive.

For file transfers I use mTCP's FTP server.

But I also have XTIDE installed on an EEPROM chip on my Ethernet card, which allows you to mount & boot virtual floppy & hard disk images over the Serial port. So this can be used as another method for file transfer, though I mostly just use it for running PC Booters.

Reply 9 of 20, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I no longer use MFM. Now it's a combination of SCSI and SCSIDE + CF card.
My old MFM setup was pretty cool though. At one point I had dual ST-251s, which normally format to about 40mb each. However, I stuck them on a WD1002A-27X RLL controller, and I think each of them became 52mb. I can't say I really recommend dual MFM drives though, because it's pretty noisy.

I currently only own one MFM drive. It's a 10MB IBM drive that was the original drive with the XT. I haven't powered it on in 20 years and I'm not even sure if it still works!

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 20, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I no longer use MFM. Now it's a combination of SCSI and SCSIDE + CF card.
My old MFM setup was pretty cool though. At one point I had dual ST-251s, which normally format to about 40mb each. However, I stuck them on a WD1002A-27X RLL controller, and I think each of them became 52mb. I can't say I really recommend dual MFM drives though, because it's pretty noisy.

I currently only own one MFM drive. It's a 10MB IBM drive that was the original drive with the XT. I haven't powered it on in 20 years and I'm not even sure if it still works!

one man's noisy is another man's beautiful symphony

I think old HDDs sound wonderful, the more the bettter

Reply 11 of 20, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I had that same Kalok MFM 20 MB drive in my Commodore PC10-III. The controller also looks similar.
I no longer have that machine though.
I do have an MFM machine still. That is my IBM 5160 from 1987. It still has its original 20 MB Seagate MFM drive in there. The controller card looks much larger and oldfashioned than that one.

File transfers are done with a serial nulmodem cable using FastLynx, to my modern PC with a USB serial cable.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 12 of 20, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a HP Vectra CS computer with a V30 processor.

It has a 20meg MFM hard drive, Seagate ST-251, in pretty decent nick. The MFM card does not come with a BIOS, but the HP has built in support for this card.

I use the MFM card for booting and DOS isntallation, but I have a 4gb CF card and XT-IDE card for bulk storage.

Other cards in this computer:
a) NE2000 compatible card for ethernet in 8bit mode.
b) Sound Blaster 2.0 clone card (Sound magic)
c) Some strange Instrumentation card with HP-IB port and onboard 68000 processor.

Reply 14 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mbbrutman wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

mTCP is the gold standard, if you have a slot for a NIC anything less is really just inferior

Let's not get carried away 😉

Yes, it's not like people have bootdisks with the ftpserver and use it with every old system they get 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 20, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice to see these old MFM drives still being in use 30+ years later! 😎

Thanks for the suggestions about the file transfer methods. I actually didn't know about Interlink or Fastlynx.

In the mean time I did get two different 8-bit ethernet cards - a 3com Etherlink II and a WD8003. Both work with mTCP and it makes transferring files to the MFM drive a breeze. mTCP truly is amazing... thanks Mr. mbbrutman 🤣

Now I just need to find a working 5.25" FDD. For some reason there are games that don't seem to work when launched from the hard drive, but work from a floppy disk.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 16 of 20, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a VTECH LASER TURBO xt will a XT-IDE Rev 4.1, ISA 8-Bit IDE Controller work in it? or a compact flash one? Right now it just has the 2 5.25 inch floppy drives and they can be a pain if they wear out mainly the boot floppy 🤣

Would be nice to load all the games i have for it on a storage device Sense when i got this pc free in like 2000 it came tons of 5.25s with games on them and with the keyboard joystick and also the Magnavox monitor. everything still works to this day:)

Reply 17 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice that you have a good working XT computer ! Yes you should be able to use XT-IDE r4 on your Laser XT, it would go in same slot as the current HD controller. The CF versions should also work fine. Only problem is what OS you run as Dos 3 supports up to 504MB HD in the OS, DOS 5 and up supports 2Gb so you will want a small HD (for r4) based on my experience. Am sure there are others that give better info.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 18 of 20, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any Dos lower than PC/MSDos 3.3 can only have partition sizes up to 32 megs in size, Something to consider when choosing your Dos version. I'm using DrDos 6 on my XT-Turbo clone with 8=bit XT-IDE card and 2 gig hdd.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 19 of 20, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^Except for some ancient OEM versions of DOS which used non-standard sector sizes and partition types. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//