VOGONS

First post, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Guys,

I have had a Gigabyte GA-686DX with 2 x Intel Pentium II Overdrive (Deschutes) running NT 4.00 + NT 3.10 for many years and today I decided to install W2K on it and make it triple boot. I how have W2K running, but CPU-1 is very slow and it looks like the caches are disabled. I don't think it's a BIOS issue as when I boot NT 4.00 both CPUs run at the same speed.

Has anyone seen similar and/or know how to fix W2K please? I have Googled to no avail.

Below you can see all the system details and that the caches seem to be disabled on CPU-1 😢

file.php?id=67492

Attachments

• RDO.png
    Filename
    RDO.png
    File size
    93.94 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SIV Cache Latency panels
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2020-12-31, 15:28. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you install the "Update Rollup 1"?
Maybe this thread helps on the issue as well: https://msfn.org/board/topic/174127-info-on-w … r-cpu-machines/

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 2 of 9, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
1541 wrote:

Did you install the "Update Rollup 1"?

Thank you for the link and it does have UR1 installed, but I have another similar system which also has it installed and that system is OK. I wonder in it's just Multi-Core CPUs that suffer.

I think I will install 2003 and see it that works, I just need to find a bigger SCSI disk

file.php?id=67530

Attachments

• ROS.png
    Filename
    ROS.png
    File size
    18 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Dual Intel Pentium II Xeon (Drake)
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 9, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suspect I have figured out the issue with the cache being disabled on CPU-1. In the BIOS I selected MPS 1.4, but all of NT 4.00 + W2K + WXP report it as MPS 1.1 !

Given this there must be something wonky in the way the BIOS is setting things up, so I suspect I will need a fixed BIOS. I wonder if I can get one 😉

I don't know why NT 4.00 is OK, maybe it has MPS 1.1 support and W2K and later don't.

Attachments

• RDO.png
    Filename
    RDO.png
    File size
    24.25 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    W2K reports MPS 1.1
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 9, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have a look at: https://www.techarp.com/bios-guide/mps-control-version-os/

Microsoft Windows NT onwards already supports MPS 1.4. Therefore, all newer operating systems like Windows 2000 and Windows XP and beyond have no problem supporting MPS 1.4.

Dan Isaacs reported that when you set the MPS version to 1.4 in the ABIT BP6, Windows 2000 will not use the second processor. So, if you encounter this problem, set the MPS Version Control For OS to 1.1.

There seem to be verious issues around MPS...

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 5 of 9, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote:

In the BIOS I selected MPS 1.4, but all of NT 4.00 + W2K + WXP report it as MPS 1.1 !

1541 wrote:

Thank you for the link which I had already read, but as I specified the issue is that when I select MPS 1.4 in the BIOS either the BIOS still sets MPS 1.1 and/or W2K + WXP think it's MPS 1.1.

file.php?id=68141
file.php?id=68117

Attachments

Reply 6 of 9, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have run into something similar with dual Tualatin chips and am trying to recall what the solution was. I will have to look through some emails, but they were thru ebay messaging and may have disappeared by now.

EDIT: Looks like my issue was that on the latest BIOS revision, I had to set the L1 cache to WT, which made the system incredibly slow (L1 read = 91 MB/s vs. 1393 MB/s for L1:WB). I had to use not the latest BIOS revision. Also, ACPI wouldn't work.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 9, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could try no ACPI, and no ACPI hal NT4 has no ACPI support btw
Press F7 when you install instead of F6
HAL File Description
Standard PC Hal.dll Any Standard PC, non-ACPI and non-MPS (Usually 386, 486, Pentium, Pentium II, or Pentium III)

ACPI PC Halacpi.dll Applies to a single processor motherboard with single processor (Pentium 4, Athlon)

ACPI Multiprocessor PC Halmacpi.dll Applies to a multiple-processor ACPI computer.

ACPI Uniprocessor PC Halaacpi.dll Applies to an ACPI multiple-processor board but with a single processor installed.

MPS Multiprocessor Halmps.dll Applies to non-ACPI computers with a dual processor running. <------------------------------------------------------Pick this one

MPS Uniprocessor Halapic.dll Applies to non-ACPI computers dual processor motherboard with a single processor installed.

Reply 8 of 9, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote:

Could try no ACPI, and no ACPI hal NT4 has no ACPI support.

As [BIOS Tables] does not have the "RSD PTR " the BIOS does not Support ACPI so is already using the MPS 5.1.2600.5512 HAL. The only HALs offered are MPS Multiprocessor PC + Standard PC and only the MPS HAL supports > 1 CPU.

Below is what get's reported when ACPI is present, also note it's also MPS 1.4 and has EFI/UEFI support.

If it was a simple as setting up Windows I suspect I would have resolved this myself, but currently expect I need a fix to the BIOS, but doubt I could get Gigabyte to fix it for such an old motherboard.

file.php?id=68187

If you are confused by the ASUS WS X299 Sage BIOS 0905 03/21/2019 when the 0905 BIOS was released in January it's because I got a special BIOS from ASUS to resolve issues with running VROC RAID + SATA RAID at the same time.

Attachments

• RED.png
    Filename
    RED.png
    File size
    61.46 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    [BIOS Tables] from a system with ACPI
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 9 of 9, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never found a solution to the CPU-1 cache being disabled so felt I would bump this thread and hope. Below you can see I also get the issue on WXP.

file.php?id=94431

Attachments

• RDO.png
    Filename
    RDO.png
    File size
    108.51 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    CPU-1 Cache is Disabled
    File license
    Public domain