VOGONS

First post, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(I know, I know, there's a few of these threads now. Sadly none of them quite answer my question as you'll see why.)

After acquiring an old "family computer" to retrieve the data then scrap, I decided to pursue a new build: What computer would me, on my 13th birthday (Sept 2000) have absolutely creamed himself over?

So the target is to build an "unlimited budget" equivalent PC.

So first of all, sadly this rules out Tualatin cores, so going as good as I can, I pick up the Coppermine EB 1000/256/1.7 Pentium 3.

And this is where I hit a wall.

The case I have is a "Tiny Computers" (...shudder) with MS-6178 (Intel 810 Chipset). Assuming I need to stick with this mobo size of 24.4x19.2 cm, what decent motherboards can I get?

Been going off the pages below as a starting point, but sadly most of them are full ATX boards, whereas mine is somewhere between uATX and flexATX(?), and has 6 mounting holes. 😕

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/408810-t … -3-motherboard/
Fastest Tualatin Chipset / Best Pentium III Motherboard

Also, I hear a lot of opinions on the GX2 vs 3DFX 5, and as such, I really have no clue which one to pursue. Any opinions? Is it better to go PCI or AGP?

Reply 1 of 4, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is that size the absolute max? I checked a micro-ATX Pentium 3 board I have from an old Compaq Deskpro and it is 24.4x21.8cm. The rear side where the ports are is the long side.

Funny about Sep 2000 though, that's the same time that I had saved a few dollars from flipping burgers and bought a Celeron 400 with a Matrox G250, 🤣.

Voodoo or GeForce 2... depends on whether you want to run Glide games I guess. You could always install both 😉

Reply 2 of 4, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bakemono wrote:

Is that size the absolute max? I checked a micro-ATX Pentium 3 board I have from an old Compaq Deskpro and it is 24.4x21.8cm. The rear side where the ports are is the long side.

Funny about Sep 2000 though, that's the same time that I had saved a few dollars from flipping burgers and bought a Celeron 400 with a Matrox G250, 🤣.

Voodoo or GeForce 2... depends on whether you want to run Glide games I guess. You could always install both 😉

It could probably go bigger, but I need to check inside the case again to see if there are any additional mounting holes. Going to ATX would make life much easier.

And that's what I was forgetting! Glide! Yes I will be going for a voodoo. The Voodoo 5 5500 was out in time for my birthday so I would have gotten that. Shame on Ebay they're as expensive now as they were then... Heck 🤣

Reply 3 of 4, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had just about the same question about the dream y2000 pc, without the matx limitations, earlier today I saw a local listing for this compaq workstation with intel 840 rambus mobo and dual slot 1 dual P3-1000

Rf0zoQB.jpg

Wouldn't this be just about the top of the line system anyone could have had in 2000? Just stick a voodoo5 or gf2 ultra or whatever and its done? Tho, according to wikipedia, coppermine P3 1100 and even 1133 were released in 2000 as well? How rare are they, and if I could ever find 2 of them, could they work on this system? And yeah, is this worth getting or should I pass it 😀 And sorry for hijacking the thread 😀

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 4 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vaudane wrote:

And that's what I was forgetting! Glide! Yes I will be going for a voodoo. The Voodoo 5 5500 was out in time for my birthday so I would have gotten that. Shame on Ebay they're as expensive now as they were then... Heck 🤣

If you want to be 13 again I would go with with the GF2, All the media loved Nvidia at the time with only the diehard 3dfx guys not jumping ship
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=915269 gives an idea of the thinking back then.
It's also a good excuse for not having to get the voodoo 5 😉

Fast forward almost 20 years the Voodoo 5 is a much more interesting card, but yeh that price 🙁

God Of Gaming wrote:

I had just about the same question about the dream y2000 pc, without the matx limitations, earlier today I saw a local listing for this compaq workstation with intel 840 rambus mobo and dual slot 1 dual P3-1000

Wouldn't this be just about the top of the line system anyone could have had in 2000? Just stick a voodoo5 or gf2 ultra or whatever and its done? Tho, according to wikipedia, coppermine P3 1100 and even 1133 were released in 2000 as well? How rare are they, and if I could ever find 2 of them, could they work on this system? And yeah, is this worth getting or should I pass it 😀 And sorry for hijacking the thread 😀

It would definitely been a kick ass system, not so much for gaming though. Duel CPU and rambus would have made this thing REAL expensive which games woudn't have been able to take advantage of.

But I would jump on this in a heartbeat depending on price.
Rambus is an interesting period in computer history, price kept people away back then but it's cheaper now.
Duel CPU's are cool, even though nothing will really take advantage of the 2nd CPU's are cheap now and makes the build more interesting.

The fact thats its RAMbus means it'll be using the 133 fsb CPU's which when talking about the 1Ghz + cpus are more common then their 100fsb cousins.
PSU probably wont be standard but Compaq used quality hardware back then in their business range and this would be the best of the best of their range.
Win9x will ignore the 2nd CPU but you can duel boot Win2k. Most games run fine in 2k on my duel P3 1GHz, and boot into Win98 for the few games that don't. It's also got to be said Win2k is a much nicer OS to use over all IMHO.