VOGONS

Reply 60 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote on 2020-01-30, 09:37:

You need to go back to a working BIOS of course....

As far as I can see the POST card has no use in your PC, there is no output on port 80. Put in a free ISA slot and see what happens...

Understood. Thanks!

Reply 62 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A couple of revelations:

1) The SBC board only seems to work with 512kb E(E)PROMs.
2) The first EEPROM I used turned out to be "One Time Programmable"
3) When putting the POST card in one of the ISA slots with the indicated side facing the PC back side smoke arose from one of the components (pulled the plug right away)
4) Using a 512kb Eprom I did manage to flash the Patch2 file onto it. The system works fine with Patch2 but the problem of not booting from C drive remains.
5) Attached the screenshot with the output from the Debug command line.

It´s funny, when using a bootlable disk I can without problems access the c drive and install software on it. Thus, I´ve installed Adlib and Mouse drivers and installed Monkey Island without a problem. Just don´t get it why it won´t boot from the C drive.

Hope we are getting close to the solution of the problem. Thanks again for your invaluable input.

Attachments

• IMG_4177.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4177.JPG
    File size
    331.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 63 of 80, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BlackLinus24 wrote on 2020-01-31, 07:31:
A couple of revelations: […]
Show full quote

A couple of revelations:

1) The SBC board only seems to work with 512kb E(E)PROMs.
2) The first EEPROM I used turned out to be "One Time Programmable"
3) When putting the POST card in one of the ISA slots with the indicated side facing the PC back side smoke arose from one of the components (pulled the plug right away)
4) Using a 512kb Eprom I did manage to flash the Patch2 file onto it. The system works fine with Patch2 but the problem of not booting from C drive remains.
5) Attached the screenshot with the output from the Debug command line.

It´s funny, when using a bootlable disk I can without problems access the c drive and install software on it. Thus, I´ve installed Adlib and Mouse drivers and installed Monkey Island without a problem. Just don´t get it why it won´t boot from the C drive.

Hope we are getting close to the solution of the problem. Thanks again for your invaluable input.

Too bad about the POST card. 🙁

Have you tried a FDISK /MBR from the boot disk?

1982 to 2001

Reply 64 of 80, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Indeed, strange with the POST card. Usually there is nothing you can do wrong with it, you can even insert it the wrong direction without damaing it...

Output is not as expected, but also helpful.

XT-IDE will solve the problem. You can also try a bootmanager. But we are very close to the solution. I will prepare some images to try...

Reply 65 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote on 2020-01-31, 08:29:

Indeed, strange with the POST card. Usually there is nothing you can do wrong with it, you can even insert it the wrong direction without damaing it...

Output is not as expected, but also helpful.

XT-IDE will solve the problem. You can also try a bootmanager. But we are very close to the solution. I will prepare some images to try...

FDISK /MBR did the trick!!!!! Hooray!!!!! THANK you so much!!!
It works even without XT-IDE.

MANY MANY THANKS FOR YOUR KIND SUPPORT. Each time I boot the system and see predator99 @ vogons I´ll think of your kind support. This is great. Can´t wait for this walk down memory lane!

Attachments

• IMG_4180.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4180.JPG
    File size
    321.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_4181.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4181.JPG
    File size
    262 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 67 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote on 2020-01-31, 08:58:

🤣...at least I was right and that boot problem was not related to your BIOS error message....

Try your original BIOS again, it will also work und you dont need to see my name very time 😉

No way. Your patched BIOS stays. Your existence and contribution live on eternally in my 386 (at least until one my children or future grand children once I´m old and frail decide to get rid of my electronic "junk". Until then, I hope we have a couple of decades to go.

Reply 71 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BlackLinus24 wrote on 2020-01-31, 15:47:
Predator99 wrote on 2020-01-31, 12:44:

Last try with this please 😉

patched3.zip

Ok! Will do so on Monday as I‘ll be away for the weekend.

Sorry, will have time to do this tomorrow and will report back to you.

Reply 72 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure what's going on here.

Flashed the new BIOS on a 512kb Eprom. Everything is as before (Network card installed, etc...). I don't understand where these error messages come from. The system boots alright from the CF card. No XT-IDE anywhere. Keyboard does not work. Mouse probably doesn't work as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4204.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4204.JPG
    File size
    340.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_4203.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4203.JPG
    File size
    342.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_4202.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4202.JPG
    File size
    285.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_4201.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4201.JPG
    File size
    276.59 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 74 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote on 2020-02-06, 20:52:

OK thanks for trying. Was almost sure it runs.
But I wont spend more work in it as your system is running without it now 😉

I ordered some new Eproms and will try it again flashing brand new ones. I'll let you know about the result. You put so much effort into everything and I you think you deserve better. If the result is the same so be it. But at least I think I have the moral obligation to try again.

Reply 76 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote on 2020-02-07, 16:49:

This is not caused by your EPROM.

Anyway, you should order rewritable ones like the W27E512....

I used 27C512-100 which can be erased using UV light. I checked for actual rewritable EEPROM but couldn't find any. There are some AT28Cs but for some reason there are 100x more expensive than EPROMs the EEPROMs that are only once programmable.

Reply 77 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
After receiving the new EPROMs and being back from holiday I made another try at adding the Ethernet Card to the current 386 system and I ran the Patch 3 ROM file. Here a screenshot. The IDE-XT does post. The booting error I assume is due to the fact that I did not format the drive and install DOS under IDE-XT.

Attachments

• IMG_4220.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4220.JPG
    File size
    334.72 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 79 of 80, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow nice - thats looking as intended 😁 Very strange it didnt work with the other EPROM...

Yes, you need to re-format the drive with XT-IDE installed.

If you like to use it you should upgrade to the XT-IDE AT-Version. Should be no problem, only precondition is that you configure the network card at C800.