VOGONS

any use for broken hard drives?

Topic actions

First post, by pico1180

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have about half a dozen mid 90's hard drives that don't work. is there a market for them as parts? i am resisting the urge to send them to the recycle on the idea they me be valuable to someone looking for parts. is that a thing?

Reply 1 of 35, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen people post want ads for the platters for 'art projects', but that's about it. Honestly they're not especially repair-friendly devices for end users (chunky MFM/RLL drives from the early '80s, maybe. Multi-gigabyte 3.5" drives from the mid-'90s, not really.)

There's always some minescule chance that someone's trying to recover data from a drive with a burned out controller board & needs the exact one you have (assuming that's not what failed on yours), but honestly, I wouldn't count on that happening. Most home users don't care enough about their data to go that deep into it.

I guess you could see if any professional-level data recovery services might need them & ship them off.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 35, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pico1180 wrote on 2020-01-25, 03:46:

i have about half a dozen mid 90's hard drives that don't work. is there a market for them as parts? i am resisting the urge to send them to the recycle on the idea they me be valuable to someone looking for parts. is that a thing?

Fancy techno clock? Circuit bender instrument? Cut rate disc sander?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 35, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I salvage the magnets and memory chips, I used to salvage platters too but those I have many of already 🤣.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 35, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've made wind-chimes from the platters before.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 35, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hard drives are not air tight, they wouldn't work then...

First ever air-tight hard drives are those filled with Helium, which came to market just a few years ago.

Last edited by derSammler on 2020-01-25, 10:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 35, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have removed magnets from few of them, but they make me feel sick for some reason. I only need to hold a magnet like that on my hand for 30 seconds and I start feeling really sick.
Really strange.

Reply 12 of 35, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.ido wrote on 2020-01-25, 10:05:

Remove the platters and heads and you've got an air tight stash box.

Whenever I need to hide something at home, I put it inside one of my old computers. Nobody would ever bother to look there 😉

Reply 13 of 35, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's a cafe that uses floppy diskettes as drinks coasters. I have some broken drives when there is a need for paperweight 🤣, but probably going to just send them to recycling, there was not any important data back then and the drives are either burnt, cracked open or unusable.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 14 of 35, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's also a guy on youtube who crafts micro drills and micro polishers with motors from HDD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz9W2_AgJXY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVRF13RenU8

This requires a controller board ($3 from China), which comes with a knob to adjust rpm, a 12VDC power source and some skill as a craftsman.

Reply 15 of 35, by pico1180

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The do make amazing paperweights. That is for sure.

I didn't think to salvage them for their magnets. Good idea!

Not sure if I want to tile my bathroom with them though 😒

I may try an art piece though. Concentric platter overlay in a round frame? That may actually look kind of cool...

Reply 16 of 35, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can use the heads' mechanics to control piece of mirror and this way using laser, create shapes and other stuff like that on a surface or in the smoke. 😉

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 17 of 35, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

my Maxtor 4GB drive in my Pentium 1 machine finally gave up its ghost, R.I.P. 1997-2020. It had rough bearings, had many bad sectors, it was just not healthy, one day when i was going to power up to play some DOS games. i heard odd sounds and it just hung there on the BIOS. I just pulled the HDD out. took it apart and saved the platters, magnets, and motor from it and chucked the rest into the recycling bin. I just threw in a 40GB WD Caviar HDD into it and got the full 40GB working with OnTrack and reinstalled Windows 98 SE on it.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS