VOGONS

First post, by mheyman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I finished setting up a retro build I'm working on, hit the power button annnnnd... nothing...

CPU: Intel Pentium III Tualatin 1.4Ghz modded
Motherboard: Asus Cubx-e Rev. 1.01 (came with some capacitors that needed to be soldered back on, which I did)
RAM: 2x 256MB SDRAM PC100
GPU: ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB
Sound Card: Sound Blaster AWE64
Hard Drive: ADATA SU655 120GB NAND 2.5 inch SATA III SSD

When I power up, the fans spin on the cpu and the gpu and the led on the mobo lights up. Other than that nothing else works. I have a feeling that the graphics card I'm using isn't compatible with this board? I tried using the Jumperless setting and switching all the dips to off. Still no luck, any thoughts? There's a chance my soldering of the caps didn't go well but I'm pretty confident those should be fine.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-02-14, 06:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need modded BIOS. Also try to start it with 66 Mhz FSB settings. Tualatin 1.4 Ghz is a bit heavy for VRM, especially with old capacitors.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2020-02-14, 06:39. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 4, by mheyman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey thanks for the reply! Are you saying that without the modded bios I'll see nothing on the screen at all?

And to also confirm, should I be setting the dipswitches on the motherboard to these settings? :
CPU/DRAM -> 66mhz
PCI bus -> 33.4mhz

And I guess a final question is, I found a modded bios here: http://www.geocities.ws/tuacubx/. And some more recent ones here: Modified BIOSes for ASUS P3B-F, P3V4X, P3V133, CUBX, CUBX-E/L and P3C-E but I've never flashed a bios. Do i need floppy discs / floppy disc drive to do it? Are there any good guides for flashing old motherboards?

Reply 3 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you can get the new BIOS file and flasher util to your HD that is better than flashing from a floppy. As far as the actual bios file and setting I do not know.
Did you breadboard test the motherboard with a lessor cpu after fixing the caps and before building the system ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun