VOGONS

First post, by Sable

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! First and foremost, apologies if anything I say comes across as dumb; I've done a lot of research, but I'm still rather new to retro hardware in general - this is my first project, actually. My goal when blueprinting this build was to create an 'overkill' machine that maintains full compatibility with Windows 9x and at least moderate compatibility with DOS. Being able to dual-boot with either Windows 2000 or Windows XP would also be a nice plus.

Here's the rundown:

MB: Abit IP-95 (Compatible according to this thread on MSFN.)
CPU: Intel Pentium E5800 @ 3.20GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (Picked for compatibility with 8-bit palettized textures and table fog.)
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
RAM: 4GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 533MHz (I'm aware Windows 9x has issues with large amounts of RAM; will be using R. Loew's patches.)
HDD: 80GB Hitachi DeskStar 3.5" SATA HDD (I'm assuming the MB has a legacy mode, as I'm aware Windows 9x has issues with SATA drives.)

Are there any glaring issues with this setup? Also, I'm not totally sure how my compatibility with DOS would be; it seems like sound should be okay with the IP-95's VIA VT8237R Plus chipset, at least according to this thread (though it appears I'll have to install modified drivers for the Audigy 2 ZS, according to this thread) and the wiki states that the FX series should be 'top-notch' for DOS.

Thanks in advance! 😀

Reply 2 of 7, by Sable

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 5950 Ultra is certainly a consideration, but it seemed very pricy when I first looked - not to mention, there aren't any available on eBay at the moment domestically. I'm a bit leery about ordering from overseas right now, due to complications with international shipping during the pandemic.

EDIT: The motherboard also lacks an AGP slot, and I don't believe there's a PCI variant of that card. It seems like the 5500 is probably the best I can do without losing any compatibility; disregarding that, however, I could go for the GeForce 6200 instead.

Reply 3 of 7, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not if you want the table fog/paletized textures. And poor driver support/gpu compatibility does not really make it ultimate for win98. Personally I think the p4 northwood 3.4ghz with a 5950U is pretty ultimate for win98. Sound is good choice tho 😁

Reply 4 of 7, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why dont you use pcie? Alot of people here have used pcie cards with 9x and you can get cards like Geforce FX series and 6 series for cheaper in pcie than in their AGP flavors. Pci is a pretty severe bottleneck for graphics chips.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 7, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-03, 03:14:

You can't get the best FX cards in pcie. Win98 doesn't need the power of this platform. Agp is fast enough. I like to be able to install chipset drivers on a build.

I swear there are versions of the top end FX chips in the form of Quadro's in pcie, I cant remember the models for the life of me (forgive me if Im wrong) But in this case the motherboard has pcie and pci and is also matx. Thus OP saying that the FX 5500 should be good enough in PCI flavor. I just thought id throw out that pcie isnt off the table for a 9x GPU if something with more graphical horsepower was wanted. With the e5800 and 4gb of ram it would also make a great XP setup.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 7 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only overkill part of the build is the RAM and CPU which is going to held back by the graphics card anyway.
It'll be much more fun then an overkill system anyway. My "overkill 98 box" with a 6800 Ultra never gets much use anyway.
Older games have compatabiity issues and work fine on order hardware, newer games work better in my XP build with PCIE and rest of it.

Think it'll do you just fine.