VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My AT PSU died a while back and I am looking for a replacement.

I specifically need a -5v rail for my Sound Blaster 2.0, the rest of the specs I'm not too fussed about as this is powering a 386.

However I've recently discovered that -5v rails are not exclusive to AT PSUS. For instance I found a fairly modern ATX Thermaltake XP55 430watt PSU which has a -5v. Is there any reason why the Sound Blaster wouldn't work with this PSU?

I've got the necessary AT ATX power switch adapter.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 2 of 5, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What are good brands for early ATX PSUs?

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 3 of 5, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just my recent experience, I had my 386 mainboard even without any cards beside some vga, having problems after a while even showing signal to the vga output (darker screen until it became not visible) and things got back to normal with a AT psu. So I suppose the -5V rail or whatever difference there were with those AT psu, in some cases become a problem when using a more recent psu that in my case was an ATX one with the adapter but without the rail. I don't know maybe something was wrong with it but I powered a P4 3,2ghz after that test and it ran ok. So I'm going to use or an ATX good psu with -5v rail or a good AT psu. I'd use an ATX modern only if I knew being reviewed as safe for old stuff (voltage stability etc..) beside how low the wattage required would be, but with the rare adapter having the -5v generated on the cable with the regulator (I suppose).

Reply 4 of 5, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can also use a modern ATX PSU and create -5V from -12V line by using a simple voltage regulator. The power draw is small on negative lines. I've done at least once. Might be easier than dealing with old PSUs.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 5 of 5, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mpe wrote on 2020-06-16, 09:25:

You can also use a modern ATX PSU and create -5V from -12V line by using a simple voltage regulator. The power draw is small on negative lines. I've done at least once. Might be easier than dealing with old PSUs.

But I understand it need a minimal circuit (capacitors and resistor) to have a continuous load on it and I've yet to look into a schematics and values to build it. Sure it's not difficult and I'd have some idea of using a two digit display in a sort of mini-box inside the circuit to check the voltage when needed just to be sure to build something safe for the mainboard.