VOGONS

First post, by stopi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! Where can I find AT power plug in Europe? I need the connector only for making AT power supply from standard ATX unit. I wasn't able to find it in my country Poland. I can see only full ATX->AT adapters but it's little expensive here.

Reply 1 of 11, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try searching online for the Molex crimp housing part number (link below) - you may find ir or an equivalent locally or thru eBay (far east?)

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-det … ings/0903311003

Reply 4 of 11, by ahyeadude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recommend buying a converter that also supplies the -5V that ATX does not supply. I believe it was used by certain ISA cards. Also, one with a dummy load on the 3.3V rail since AT doesn't use it. Leaving it floating could cause stability issues in the ATX power supply.

ATX to AT adapters, which one do I need and why?

Reply 6 of 11, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i bought the -5v version on ebay like 3 years ago
I wish i bought more, but only got 1, i cant find those anymore

the difference is just a couple cables that are connected to a white plastic square and another round component, that in terms of electronics i have no idea of what its name is.

Last edited by SETBLASTER on 2020-06-30, 20:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 11, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this is the one i bought
in case you want to modify one of the non -5v available even on china sites like aliexpress.

but i dont know what are these 2 components, maybe someone on vogons has a clear idea of what they are :

1) white rectangle; (searched the words on google and found nothing)
2)black circle covered with rubber (wich connects to the white wire that makes -5v), i dont want to take the rubber out to look whats inside because i could need to cut it.

DtphHyoWoAI6DWc.jpg

Reply 9 of 11, by ykot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Curiously, up until now I have been using ATX power supplies (mostly mid-end to high-end versions) wired to AT connector without any load on 3.3V rail and no issues whatsoever.

But I am curious about the dummy load: on the photo I can see a 20 Ohm resistor rated for 10W, which at 3.3V would correspond to 165 mA of current and ~0.5W of power. The load seems to be very small and resistor seems to be rated for much higher wattage, so what is the deal? Would a 20 Ohm / 2W resistor be sufficient for that purpose?

Reply 10 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The white thing is the dummy load. It is a ceramic resistor.

The other thing is a shrink tube wrapped circuit that provides the -5v for power supplies that don't supply -5v by themselves. It is actually a pretty simple circuit.

See here for more info:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/pc … mputers.128266/

It is a shame that the eBay seller antronst is no longer selling them as there is a definite market for them. Maybe they weren't making enough money or were not able to source some of the needed parts anymore.

Yamaha YMF modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG resource repository - updated November 27, 2018
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide
AW744L II - YMF744 - AOpen Cobra Sound Card - Install SB-Link Header
Epstein didn't kill himself