VOGONS

First post, by ykot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been playing with my FIC 486-VIP-IO motherboard. It came with BIOS from year 1995 without support for newer CPUs, with Y2K bug and floppy issue similar to the one described in this post.

There are two newer BIOSes available at this location, one is 427GN2A dated 1996 and another is 3276GN1 dated 1997. The last one does work with the board, seems to support newer CPUs, has Y2K bug fixed and makes floppy controller working again! However, it does not initialize PCI bus, so even a PCI post card won't read any post codes with that BIOS, even though everything else will function fine (tested board with ISA graphics card and Cyrix 5x86 CPU). This can be confirmed using ModBin utility - in the first binary there are four PCI slots, whereas in second there are none.

I was wondering if somehow PCI ROM could be transferred from 427GN2A to 3276GN1? I have tried CBROM utility to see if anything can be extracted (looking at HEX dumps I can see Cirrus Logic BIOS ROM present in the second image, so there should be some entries) but it doesn't recognize the binaries. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 3276GN1.png
    Filename
    3276GN1.png
    File size
    31.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 427GN2A.png
    Filename
    427GN2A.png
    File size
    35.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ykot wrote on 2020-06-28, 22:04:

I have been playing with my FIC 486-VIP-IO motherboard. It came with BIOS from year 1995 without support for newer CPUs, with Y2K bug and floppy issue similar to the one described in this post.

There are two newer BIOSes available at this location, one is 427GN2A dated 1996 and another is 3276GN1 dated 1997. The last one does work with the board, seems to support newer CPUs, has Y2K bug fixed and makes floppy controller working again! However, it does not initialize PCI bus, so even a PCI post card won't read any post codes with that BIOS, even though everything else will function fine (tested board with ISA graphics card and Cyrix 5x86 CPU). This can be confirmed using ModBin utility - in the first binary there are four PCI slots, whereas in second there are none.

I was wondering if somehow PCI ROM could be transferred from 427GN2A to 3276GN1? I have tried CBROM utility to see if anything can be extracted (looking at HEX dumps I can see Cirrus Logic BIOS ROM present in the second image, so there should be some entries) but it doesn't recognize the binaries. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a look at Awdbedit .
https://sourceforge.net/projects/awdbedit/

Reply 2 of 3, by ykot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-28, 22:06:

I have tried it, but it won't recognize BIOS images either. I suppose these tools expect BIOS image to contain a boot block with a decompression routine and the rest being an LHA archive, whereas the aforementioned images are just raw binaries without any compression.

Reply 3 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ykot wrote on 2020-06-28, 22:33:
darry wrote on 2020-06-28, 22:06:

I have tried it, but it won't recognize BIOS images either. I suppose these tools expect BIOS image to contain a boot block with a decompression routine and the rest being an LHA archive, whereas the aforementioned images are just raw binaries without any compression.

I tried it myself and got the same result. I also tried pretty much every version of CBROM I could find without success . Modbin seems to be the only thing that recognizes it, but it isn't of much use, unfortunately .