VOGONS

First post, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Basically floppy drives don't work on the board, even if I disable internal floppy controller and use one on an IO card.
BIOS will make the heads go back and forth as usual but when any access is done to the drive the LED comes up, disk spins but that's all there is and after a while OS or BIOS will give up with a disk IO error.
I got one lead from Image Disk, it complains that FDC interrupt never happens. So I monitored IRQ6 output and I can see it go low when BIOS is doing something or when DOS tries to do a first access. The signal ends up going into one of the big chips on the board. All other IRQs seem to work. One test I did was to lift IRQ6 of the Super IO chip and then Image Disk just sits at any test, without throwing an error but not doing anything either. IO cards behaved same with or without the IRQ6 lifted on the board and onboard FDC disabled.
I have also tried different BIOS versions, CMOS clear, moving super IO chip control address elsewhere, cache enable/disable, write back/through settings and even resoldering the chip where IRQ6 goes to.

I'm quite out of ideas, it almost seems that the fault is in the chipset...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 1 of 4, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had experienced similar problem in the past, except in my case, FDD would not initiate disk spin, but it would do a seek test while POSTing every time. This problem was caused by a crappy FDD cable, I guess it was internally broken somewhere.

Reply 3 of 4, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It could be damaged DMA2. I've read about it. But first of all it's better to disable all caches and to try again.
I suppose FDD bios setting is correct, jumper settings are correct, the FDD is working.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 4 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

/INDEX reaches the controller as do all other signals, this is not a problem with connectivity or drives. The behaviour is same even with an IO card, drive+cable+controller that works in another computer does the same stuff as the integrated controller on this machine. IRQ6 does show activity on the scope aswell, it seems that it isn't reaching the CPU or something, it definitely reaches the chipset.

Turning on/off L1 and/or L2 cache has no effect either. Floppy type etc. settings also play no role.

I have traced around a little and IRQ6 is only connected to ISA, SuperIO chip and VT82C486A chip. Unfortunately no datasheet of the VIA part exists in the wild it seems. I'm more or less confident now that the problem is in that chip... It seems utsource has it for sale for the amount I got refunded for lack of VLB slots (I have soldered back some now) on that board when I got it (15usd 🤣).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜