VOGONS

First post, by baldcoder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a DTK PTM-1000 286 motherboard. It was working fine, but I wanted to replace the CMOS battery because it was corroded. After replacing the battery, now I get a CMOS CHECKSUM FAILED! When I use CTRL-ALT-ESC to go into the CMOS setup, it doesn't respond to keypresses (except NumLock will toggle and I can CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot). I can't actually change any values though.

Is there a way to clear the CMOS RAM or some other way I can recover this motherboard?

Thanks.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try to boot off a floppy disk with something like gsetup.
Maybe you can initialize some parts properly so the CMOS setup doesn't crash anymore

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 6, by baldcoder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The numeric keypads don't work in the CMOS setup.

I was able to boot to a floppy and run GSETUP. The first time, I just restored defaults and made sure the floppy drive was set to 1.44 and the display was monochrome. After rebooting, I got a REAL TIME CLOCK error.

So I ran GSETUP again. When I change the time field, it also changes some of the date fields as well. e.g. I entered 0102 for the time and the time field did change to 01:02:00, however the date field changed to 00/00/102.

Is this a bad RTC/RAM chip (MC146818A)?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 5 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe not, it's possible that the bios you have doesn't really correspond to what gsetup expects and interpret random data as the date

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative