VOGONS

First post, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Device manager lists it as HL-DT-STCD-RW GCE-8483B. Windows recognizes it as a CD-ROM drive only. ImgBurn doesn't find it at all. It finds my DVD-ROM drive no problem, but can't see the secondary drive.
The drive itself works to read CDs just fine.
Everything is plugged in properly, both drives are set to cable select. If there is a driver for it, or a generic CD-RW driver somewhere, that would be great. That's about it. Thanks in advance!

1.) MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium 233mhz, 32mb RAM, S3 Trio64, Sound Blaster Pro 2
2.) Windows 98SE with Unofficial SP3, AMD Athlon 1.3ghz, 768mb RAM, Geforce 4 MX 440 64mb AGP, Sound Blaster Live! Value

Reply 1 of 4, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OKAY. Sorry, I think the problem is with ImgBurn. It's only recognizing my G Drive, which is my virtual DVD-ROM drive. So there's that. My bad.

EDIT: I forgot to install ASPI. I'm stupid. This thread is stupid. Please remove. Thank you! I am stupid!

1.) MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium 233mhz, 32mb RAM, S3 Trio64, Sound Blaster Pro 2
2.) Windows 98SE with Unofficial SP3, AMD Athlon 1.3ghz, 768mb RAM, Geforce 4 MX 440 64mb AGP, Sound Blaster Live! Value

Reply 2 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tomexplodes wrote on 2020-08-02, 02:22:

OKAY. Sorry, I think the problem is with ImgBurn. It's only recognizing my G Drive, which is my virtual DVD-ROM drive. So there's that. My bad.

EDIT: I forgot to install ASPI. I'm stupid. This thread is stupid. Please remove. Thank you! I am stupid!

No actually that is a common mistake and thanks for posting about it ! It will help remind us about it. Thanks 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-08-02, 02:33:
tomexplodes wrote on 2020-08-02, 02:22:

No actually that is a common mistake and thanks for posting about it ! It will help remind us about it. Thanks 😀

I agree that it is a good reminder . I have not burned a disc under Windows 9x in over 15 years . If I ever need to do so again, I have a better chance of remembering ASPI thanks to this thread (though I think I still have a sealed boxed copy of Adaptec CD Creator 4 that I could use that will install ASPI drivers for me if needed).

Reply 4 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I also have no memory of this ASPI stuff. Probably because, like many folks, the first burner I had on a Win9x came bundled with software (Nero in my case), which installed the drivers for me.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys