User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

286 + 287

Bios string:

D286-6069-043009-K8

Attachments

Last edited by Nexxen on 2021-03-19, 22:10. Edited 2 times in total.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 1 of 6, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For later use and bios dump for Mr. Deksor

Bios has two roms, odd and even.

Attachments

• Filename
    ATROM286.zip
    File size
    39.98 KiB
    Downloads
    29 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Nexxen on 2023-03-19, 14:33. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 6, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I plug my graphics card before the controller card, image is always good.
If I plug it after the image can be corrupt like showing in different colors (usually green and dark blue) or nothing at all.

Is there something wrong?

Reply 3 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you 😀

This is actually quite an oddity, I can't find any infos about this board ...

It doesn't even have a real name 🙁

However, I think I found a manual 😁
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/5231

It's not a 100% perfect match for the RAM area, but it was probably designed for an earlier revision or something (MTL did something wrong)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 6, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nexxen wrote on 2020-10-14, 16:06:

If I plug it after the image can be corrupt like showing in different colors (usually green and dark blue) or nothing at all.

Sounds like a contact problem in the slot the graphics card doesn't work in. ISA slots may acquire some corrosion over time. Oftentimes it helps to re-insert the card some times to scratch the corrosion away (just like re-inserting gameboy cartridges helps). Broken traces on the mainboard might be a culprit too, but that's less common. PCs don't need normal ISA cards in specific slots (except for the odd "slot 8" of the IBM XT), so either order of the cards is supposed to work.

Nevertheless, also double check your monitor cable. Maybe it has broken wires and it depends on the position of the VGA connector at the computer whether they still make good contact.

Reply 5 of 6, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2020-10-14, 21:29:
Nexxen wrote on 2020-10-14, 16:06:

Sounds like a contact problem in the slot the graphics card doesn't work in. ISA slots may acquire some corrosion over time. Oftentimes it helps to re-insert the card some times to scratch the corrosion away (just like re-inserting gameboy cartridges helps). Broken traces on the mainboard might be a culprit too, but that's less common. PCs don't need normal ISA cards in specific slots (except for the odd "slot 8" of the IBM XT), so either order of the cards is supposed to work.

Nevertheless, also double check your monitor cable. Maybe it has broken wires and it depends on the position of the VGA connector at the computer whether they still make good contact.

I thought about oxidised contacts.
The board needs a good cleaning session and some contacts cleaner. Not like that's a problem or maybe it's the video card itself.
Not that I'm getting a refund from the store 🤣

@ Deksor: bios image uploaded, see above

Reply 6 of 6, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

EVEN and ODD chips

Taiwan Microchip
27c256-15/J 8952cdd prgm@12.5V

Brand is "Microchip" logo an M that looks like a double peek mountain. (Microchip memory on TL866)

Attachments