VOGONS

First post, by MemoryDemise

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying really hard to get a Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro working on an old Windows XP system I have. I have a SoundBlaster Live! that I am using for the gameport since the stick doesn't work with USB adapters. XP auto detected the sound card and it shows up correctly along with the gameport. Using the game controllers applet in the control panel with the "Microsoft SideWinder (Auto detect) option doesn't work. I am able to get it working as a generic 6 button joystick with throttle and POV, but when I do that the Z axis and four buttons on the base don't work. I found an ISO with version 3.02 of the sidewinder drivers/software, but when I try to install it on XP it comes up saying it's incompatible with this version of windows. When I search online I see tons of people just saying to use the SideWinder AutoDetect option in control panel but that fails everytime and asks for a disc with the drivers.

Any Help on this would be greatly appreciated

Reply 1 of 9, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried the Microsoft Sidewinder 3D PRO patch at http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … menustate=26,25 ?

I can't tell you whether it works in XP, but may be worth a try

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 9, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Sidewinder 3D has a tiny switch at the front that is marked with one and two dots at the bottom. It switches the joystick from analogue to digital mode.
Did you try playing around with that option as well?

Last edited by 1541 on 2021-01-06, 06:26. Edited 1 time in total.

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 3 of 9, by MemoryDemise

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the suggestion, but still doesn't work unfortunately. the patch needs version 3.02 installed first which XP doesn't like. I clicked past the compatibility warnings and it threw up some errors about not having enough resources for the software.I also found version 1.0 of the 3D Pro Drivers for win95, which actually do run, but then give an error saying it needs to run as an admin, my account is definitely an admin and I even tried using the builtin "administrator" account but no luck there either.

I tried running the SideWinder Auto detect with the switch in both positions, each time it comes up as an unknown device and device manager just lists it as "unknown." when I add it as a generic 6 button throttle/pov joystick with the switch in position 1 everything works except for the z axis and the four base buttons, moving the switch to position 2 disables the throttle and the z axis and extra buttons still don't work.

Reply 5 of 9, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Per the manual, the switch on the bottom of the Sidewinder 3D Pro has nothing to do with digital mode. The switch selects one of two analog configurations. Position 1 corresponds to a CH Flightstick Pro, while Position 2 corresponds to a ThrustMaster joystick.

Control Supported Position 1 Position 2
Slider Yes No
Hat switch Yes Yes
Multiple buttons No Yes
pressed at once
Four conventional Yes Yes
joystick buttons
Base buttons No No
Joystick rotation Yes Yes

The only way to get the stick into digital mode is to have a driver or game that sends a particular signal sequence to the stick, and there is no such Microsoft installable driver for Windows-NT kernel or later OSes. There is apparently some DirectX support for the stick, but it requires very particular timing on the hardware host to function (think Pentium 3 and early Pentium 4), and even so it is still a hit/miss proposition.

If you are willing to spend some time and money on a USB converter for the stick, then you should see the links for Grendel's converter in this post (I have no idea about hardware availability given the age of the project):
Re: Ms Sidewinder 3D Pro "Not Connected"

It may pay to enquire in the Tech Forum at descentbb.net for more information on Grendel's project.

Reply 6 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
akula65 wrote on 2021-01-06, 03:26:
Per the manual, the switch on the bottom of the Sidewinder 3D Pro has nothing to do with digital mode. The switch selects one o […]
Show full quote

Per the manual, the switch on the bottom of the Sidewinder 3D Pro has nothing to do with digital mode. The switch selects one of two analog configurations. Position 1 corresponds to a CH Flightstick Pro, while Position 2 corresponds to a ThrustMaster joystick.

Control Supported Position 1 Position 2
Slider Yes No
Hat switch Yes Yes
Multiple buttons No Yes
pressed at once
Four conventional Yes Yes
joystick buttons
Base buttons No No
Joystick rotation Yes Yes

The only way to get the stick into digital mode is to have a driver or game that sends a particular signal sequence to the stick, and there is no such Microsoft installable driver for Windows-NT kernel or later OSes. There is apparently some DirectX support for the stick, but it requires very particular timing on the hardware host to function (think Pentium 3 and early Pentium 4), and even so it is still a hit/miss proposition.

If you are willing to spend some time and money on a USB converter for the stick, then you should see the links for Grendel's converter in this post (I have no idea about hardware availability given the age of the project):
Re: Ms Sidewinder 3D Pro "Not Connected"

It may pay to enquire in the Tech Forum at descentbb.net for more information on Grendel's project.

Ahhh Great explanation and documentation! I remember the original 3D Pro having issues with P2 above 400Mhz or about there, and was a patch but it only helped up to p2/p3 700 or 800 or some such thing.
Had to do with the original Game Port being polled by cpu cycles and how the old game ports were never designed for faster CPU. So every one went to USB after that. Thanks !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 9, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made my own Gameport-to-USB adapter for my Sidewinder 3D Pro a few months ago. (Assuming you're a basic solderer already) it's a reasonably trivial task.

I can assist with information if you decide to go down that route.

Reply 8 of 9, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What SB (SoundBlaster Soundcard) model do you use?

I had very similar problems with my MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro (Gameport) Joystick that I wanted to use for my Freespace Battle Station.
I'v tried several different SB models, but nothing worked reliable, untill I finally tried a model SB0220 with this drivers (<Link>) and that did the trick (for me) 😀

The only downsides using the FFB Stick under XP are ...
a) no second command layer for the buttons
b) the strenght of the FFB is not adjustible in the native XP Joystick interface
... but I guess that doesn't matter for you without the FFB component

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 9 of 9, by MemoryDemise

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ildonaldo wrote on 2021-01-06, 09:35:
What SB (SoundBlaster Soundcard) model do you use? […]
Show full quote

What SB (SoundBlaster Soundcard) model do you use?

I had very similar problems with my MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro (Gameport) Joystick that I wanted to use for my Freespace Battle Station.
I'v tried several different SB models, but nothing worked reliable, untill I finally tried a model SB0220 with this drivers (<Link>) and that did the trick (for me) 😀

The only downsides using the FFB Stick under XP are ...
a) no second command layer for the buttons
b) the strenght of the FFB is not adjustible in the native XP Joystick interface
... but I guess that doesn't matter for you without the FFB component

It's a soundblaster Live, CT4780.