VOGONS

First post, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it possible new keyboards are not compatible with old motherboards?

Bought a cheapest new PS/2 keyboard. Plug it into my K7 mobo, no good. Plug back my old keyboard, works.
Tried the new keyboard in Ryzen mobo, and it works just fine.
How is this possible?

Reply 1 of 4, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only logical explanation is maybe, that the voltage is off. so measure with multimeter. I know that very old keyboards with AT to PS/2 converter cable may have too large power draw. or even litle timing issues. But a K7 PS/2 and Ryzen PS/2 have identical protocols. It is just impossible. Bu well sometimes, just something just do not mix, try another brand cheap keyboard then. Well cheapest mouses and keyboards and accessories have been had problems with power requirements and not following protocol specs to the letter. So there yo have it.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 2 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As its a new keyboard I wonder if its actually a HID USB style keyboard and the PS2 plug is just a passive adapter, much like those cheap PS2 to USB adapters.
I could see some cheap Chinese company doing something like this, and to be fair would be fine for some boring XP or later office PC, still crap though if that is the case