VOGONS

First post, by DeadnightWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
I got an Asus P5PE-VM mainboard, an IDE DVD drive (set as "cable select") on the primary IDE channel and a SATA SSD (Crucial BX500) on port SATA0.
Other parts include a Pentium D 945 CPU (planning to swap it with a Core2Duo E6500 or hopefully a Core2Quad Q6600), a floppy/card reader combo drive, a GeForce 6600GT and a Sound Blaster Live.

After much trial and error, I managed to update the BIOS to the 1501 "modded" version, which is the only one that could actually detect the SSD.
But no matter what configuration I try (legacy mode, primary IDE + SATA, secondary IDE + SATA, etc) the SSD is always detected as "secondary slave" and the BIOS actually complains it cannot find a "master" HDD drive.

Do you know if it's possible to rectify this and have the SSD as a primary master?
Maybe I should move the optical drive to the secondary IDE channel and disable the primary one?

My plan is to configure the SSD in order to have a 40Gb FAT32 partition for Windows 98, another 40Gb for Windows XP and maybe use the remaining space for a Linux distro.

Thanks a lot!

Reply 1 of 2, by undeon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DeadnightWarrior wrote on 2021-04-25, 14:49:
Hi all, I got an Asus P5PE-VM mainboard, an IDE DVD drive (set as "cable select") on the primary IDE channel and a SATA SSD (Cr […]
Show full quote

Hi all,
I got an Asus P5PE-VM mainboard, an IDE DVD drive (set as "cable select") on the primary IDE channel and a SATA SSD (Crucial BX500) on port SATA0.
Other parts include a Pentium D 945 CPU (planning to swap it with a Core2Duo E6500 or hopefully a Core2Quad Q6600), a floppy/card reader combo drive, a GeForce 6600GT and a Sound Blaster Live.

After much trial and error, I managed to update the BIOS to the 1501 "modded" version, which is the only one that could actually detect the SSD.
But no matter what configuration I try (legacy mode, primary IDE + SATA, secondary IDE + SATA, etc) the SSD is always detected as "secondary slave" and the BIOS actually complains it cannot find a "master" HDD drive.

Do you know if it's possible to rectify this and have the SSD as a primary master?
Maybe I should move the optical drive to the secondary IDE channel and disable the primary one?

My plan is to configure the SSD in order to have a 40Gb FAT32 partition for Windows 98, another 40Gb for Windows XP and maybe use the remaining space for a Linux distro.

Thanks a lot!

Sorry for necro'ing this topic, but what you did to have your SSD recognized??

Reply 2 of 2, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the OP was referring to this: Re: Best LGA 775 Motherboard with AGP and DDR400?

EDIT:
And just for completeness, links to the Russian sources.
Article: https://ideafix.name/?p=2891
File download: https://ideafix.name/?p=1492