VOGONS

Best LGA 775 Motherboard with AGP and DDR400?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 134, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I have used the Asrock 775i65G. I had the 2.03 revision and 45nm CPUs worked on it with the newest BIOS. There is also a 3.0. I found the best way to go was to get a Wolfdale CPU with 800 MT/s FSB because the 865G has some annoying issues with 1066. I had the 3 GHz Pentium E5700 on it. It was a good board. I used it to experiment with combining massive CPU power with old 3D cards.

775i65G AGP beast

I also own one of these and tested a number of CPUs in it. Unofficially, you can drop in up to the E7600. I don't recall if that required a modified BIOS, but it was stable all the same for me. My board was a rev 3.0. These may still be obtainable new.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 21 of 134, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote:

IF someone could find one with 45nm Core2 support -- now THAT would be rare.

Yeah... : LINK 😎
However, anything with 1333MHz and locked multiplier is pretty much useless as normal rig (because it will always work usually at 80% of it's rated speed).

157143230295.png

Reply 23 of 134, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
mockingbird wrote:

IF someone could find one with 45nm Core2 support -- now THAT would be rare.

Yeah... : LINK 😎
However, anything with 1333MHz and locked multiplier is pretty much useless as normal rig (because it will always work usually at 80% of it's rated speed).

How did you do it? 😀 Was it just natively supported?

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 24 of 134, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote:

No.
I needed moded BIOS for 3GB+ RAM support either way, this was... bonus 😀

Here's download for beta BIOS I used (earlier provided already) : LINK
For Vcore adjustment you can use ThrottleStop (in my test I used hardmoded VID pins, +0,1V over stock).

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2018-05-10, 22:44. Edited 2 times in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 25 of 134, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One thing I will say is this: ICH7 is an earlier south-bridge that lacks advanced IO features like AHCI, however support legacy IDE over SATA which can be extremely useful when running earlier OSs that lack SATA support. s775 boards with ICH7 are eye-wateringly cheap, as most people are building more modern systems and will aim for ICH9/10. In Australia I have literally bought a number of near-new condition mATX s775 boards, beautiful models from top brands ASUS, ASROCK, GB, MSI...for little more than the cost of postage.

Stick in a Radeon 5850, a C2D 3ghz and a SSHD and you have a star-destroyer of a retro Windows XP rig.

Reply 26 of 134, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
No. I needed moded BIOS for 3GB+ RAM support either way, this was... bonus :) […]
Show full quote
mockingbird wrote:

No.
I needed moded BIOS for 3GB+ RAM support either way, this was... bonus 😀

Here's download for beta BIOS I used (earlier provided already) : LINK
For Vcore adjustment you can use ThrottleStop (in my test I used hardmoded VID pins, +0,1V over stock).

I wish someone would mod the P5PE-VM BIOS (it's not just as simple as adding microcode)....

squiggly wrote:

One thing I will say is this: ICH7 is an earlier south-bridge that lacks advanced IO features like AHCI

That's not entirely correct. ICH7 (and ICH6 for that matter) had iterations which supported AHCI (ICH6R, ICH7R), and their drivers are as fresh as 2012.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 27 of 134, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

a good board is the:

ASUS P5PE-VM

is 775, it has the i865 chipset, supports up to a core 2 duo, uses dual channel DDR and it has AGP and PCI, also has SATA, IDE and Gigabit Ethernet

you should look into it

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 28 of 134, by McLovinGR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SaxxonPike wrote:
swaaye wrote:

I have used the Asrock 775i65G. I had the 2.03 revision and 45nm CPUs worked on it with the newest BIOS. There is also a 3.0. I found the best way to go was to get a Wolfdale CPU with 800 MT/s FSB because the 865G has some annoying issues with 1066. I had the 3 GHz Pentium E5700 on it. It was a good board. I used it to experiment with combining massive CPU power with old 3D cards.

775i65G AGP beast

I also own one of these and tested a number of CPUs in it. Unofficially, you can drop in up to the E7600. I don't recall if that required a modified BIOS, but it was stable all the same for me. My board was a rev 3.0. These may still be obtainable new.

Which BIOS did you use? I have the Same Board and with this CPU i get only a Black screen at Boot.

Reply 29 of 134, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The last bios 3.30 supports 45nm CPU. Just check a model and a revision of the mainboard
But with wolfdale cpu the mainboard takes longer to show POST screen

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 30 of 134, by bnice7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mockingbird wrote:

I wish someone would mod the P5PE-VM BIOS (it's not just as simple as adding microcode)....

Hello all, new user / first time poster here. As it turns out, I was able to find a modded BIOS for the P5PE-VM. It was done by some Russian modder, so I translated his notes to English, cleaned them up a bit and put them together in a google doc. The download link to the modded BIOS is in the google doc if you want to give it a shot.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cQkYVhTn2 … dit?usp=sharing

There's no voltage adjustments for CPU or RAM, but the addition of FSB and dividers (5:4, 1:1 etc) were able to give me a nice little overclock with my Core 2 Duo X6800. Some of the advanced RAM timings are a little over my head. I tried bumping up the voltage a little using ThrottleStop (version 6.00 works with XP and the C2D's), but I have to revisit my cooling, my case temps are currently way too high.

screenshot.PNG
Filename
screenshot.PNG
File size
125.77 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 31 of 134, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bnice7 wrote:
mockingbird wrote:

Hello all, new user / first time poster here. As it turns out, I was able to find a modded BIOS for the P5PE-VM. It was done by some Russian modder, so I translated his notes to English, cleaned them up a bit and put them together in a google doc. The download link to the modded BIOS is in the google doc if you want to give it a shot.

There's no voltage adjustments for CPU or RAM, but the addition of FSB and dividers (5:4, 1:1 etc) were able to give me a nice little overclock with my Core 2 Duo X6800. Some of the advanced RAM timings are a little over my head. I tried bumping up the voltage a little using ThrottleStop (version 6.00 works with XP and the C2D's), but I have to revisit my cooling, my case temps are currently way too high.

When i bought this board new at a fleamarket for 5 bucks. I was up for hours till i found the same modded bios with the ability to unlock all those goddies that help this board out immensely. Does support e5200-5800, xeon 3230 etc... Helped out a lot. Your translation on his readme helps even more thank you. Nice x6800 im using a e6700 and my x1950xt agp. pretty stable board but like the others it has its weaknesses depending on your needs. Biggest hit this board takes is in the memory. The unlocked dividers help that a bit so its not totally bad wish it could take more ram aside for 2gbs. Overall its a great board in my opinion.

I was using clockgen to overclock a bit but cant get past 2.8ghz gonna try doing what u did to up the vcore.

Reply 32 of 134, by bnice7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
greasemonkey90s wrote:

When i bought this board new at a fleamarket for 5 bucks. I was up for hours till i found the same modded bios with the ability to unlock all those goddies that help this board out immensely. Does support e5200-5800, xeon 3230 etc... Helped out a lot. Your translation on his readme helps even more thank you. Nice x6800 im using a e6700 and my x1950xt agp. pretty stable board but like the others it has its weaknesses depending on your needs. Biggest hit this board takes is in the memory. The unlocked dividers help that a bit so its not totally bad wish it could take more ram aside for 2gbs. Overall its a great board in my opinion.

I was using clockgen to overclock a bit but cant get past 2.8ghz gonna try doing what u did to up the vcore.

I agree the two memory slots on the P5PE-VM is definitely a drawback, and no matter what I do I can't seem to get my RAM to run at CL2/200MHz even though it's DDR400 2-3-2-5. So I'm having trouble determining if hitting the RAM or CPU limit. It feels weird pushing the FSB up higher considering the 1066MHz is already technically overclocked, but with the X6800 and the unlocked multiplier it gives me a little more flexibility to play around and see what works best. I just don't like the temps I'm getting. I ordered an E7600, going to see how that does with this board and while I'm at it make sure my heatsink is seated correctly. It should at least run a bit cooler and it beats the X6800 clock-for-clock.

I will say I'm having a lot of fun with this board. It reminds me back years ago when I got my hands on an Asus P4GD1 that, along with a CT-479 socket converter, allowed you to run the Pentium M Dothan CPU, which at the time were way more efficient than the socket 478 P4's and they had a lot of overclocking headroom. I wish I still had that setup.

Reply 33 of 134, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bnice7 wrote:
greasemonkey90s wrote:

I agree the two memory slots on the P5PE-VM is definitely a drawback, and no matter what I do I can't seem to get my RAM to run at CL2/200MHz even though it's DDR400 2-3-2-5. So I'm having trouble determining if hitting the RAM or CPU limit. It feels weird pushing the FSB up higher considering the 1066MHz is already technically overclocked, but with the X6800 and the unlocked multiplier it gives me a little more flexibility to play around and see what works best. I just don't like the temps I'm getting. I ordered an E7600, going to see how that does with this board and while I'm at it make sure my heatsink is seated correctly. It should at least run a bit cooler and it beats the X6800 clock-for-clock.

I will say I'm having a lot of fun with this board. It reminds me back years ago when I got my hands on an Asus P4GD1 that, along with a CT-479 socket converter, allowed you to run the Pentium M Dothan CPU, which at the time were way more efficient than the socket 478 P4's and they had a lot of overclocking headroom. I wish I still had that setup.

Well the x6800 is a hot cpu in general so there's that. Yea i couldnt get my ram lower then 2.5 either. Could be the board is still stuck in using 2.5 at the lowest if i remember correctly. Let me know if u get the e7600 going with this bios i might jump ship as well if not bsel mod my e5200 to 1066.

Dude i just found 2 ct-479 new open box for 50 bucks. Was gonna use it on my p4c800-e deluxe. Yes dothan was beast with a modded ct-479 can hit close to 3.0ghz on water usually 2.8ghz on air.

Reply 34 of 134, by bnice7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
greasemonkey90s wrote:

Well the x6800 is a hot cpu in general so there's that. Yea i couldnt get my ram lower then 2.5 either. Could be the board is still stuck in using 2.5 at the lowest if i remember correctly. Let me know if u get the e7600 going with this bios i might jump ship as well if not bsel mod my e5200 to 1066.

Dude i just found 2 ct-479 new open box for 50 bucks. Was gonna use it on my p4c800-e deluxe. Yes dothan was beast with a modded ct-479 can hit close to 3.0ghz on water usually 2.8ghz on air.

Great find on the CT-479's! I had the P4C800-E Deluxe before I got the P4GD1. Probably the best socket 478 board out there, aside from the caps. The P4GD1 was nice because it had PCI-E but it was otherwise pretty limited from what I remember.

I should get the e7600 towards the end of the week and I'll post back here with some results.

Reply 35 of 134, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weldum wrote:
a good board is the: […]
Show full quote

a good board is the:

ASUS P5PE-VM

is 775, it has the i865 chipset, supports up to a core 2 duo, uses dual channel DDR and it has AGP and PCI, also has SATA, IDE and Gigabit Ethernet

you should look into it

I have one of these boards, but it's probable that it is fried. My next door neighbor gave it to me as her PC had died and she knew I was into this sorta stuff 😜
Only then did I notice the board had AGP and was Conroe compatible 😢

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 36 of 134, by bnice7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

I have one of these boards, but it's probable that it is fried. My next door neighbor gave it to me as her PC had died and she knew I was into this sorta stuff 😜

Only one way to find out! Have you thought about replacing the capacitors? That's usually the culprit.

Reply 37 of 134, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bnice7 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Only one way to find out! Have you thought about replacing the capacitors? That's usually the culprit.

I very much doubt the caps are the problem here, as the El-Cheapo PSU was already found to be the culprit.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 38 of 134, by bnice7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
greasemonkey90s wrote:

So I got the e7600 installed, works perfectly in the P5PE-VM. I'm getting about the same FSB overclock, so I might try to find some better RAM, or just call it done. Pretty happy with the setup! I might also try a Q6600 at some point. The only thing with the e7600 is clockgen acts a little strange. It seems to read the FSB speed but it doesn't display the CPU speed, I'm assuming because of the funky 11.5 multiplier that the e7600 has. Not really a big issue -- I just used setFSB instead to do some testing, and then dialed in the FSB speed into the modded BIOS once I was happy. SuperPI 1M score is slightly slower too, went from 16.1 with the X6800 to about 16.4 with the E7600, presumably because of the 4M vs 3M cache. E7600 is running a lot cooler, too.

Reply 39 of 134, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bnice7 wrote:
greasemonkey90s wrote:

So I got the e7600 installed, works perfectly in the P5PE-VM. I'm getting about the same FSB overclock, so I might try to find some better RAM, or just call it done. Pretty happy with the setup! I might also try a Q6600 at some point. The only thing with the e7600 is clockgen acts a little strange. It seems to read the FSB speed but it doesn't display the CPU speed, I'm assuming because of the funky 11.5 multiplier that the e7600 has. Not really a big issue -- I just used setFSB instead to do some testing, and then dialed in the FSB speed into the modded BIOS once I was happy. SuperPI 1M score is slightly slower too, went from 16.1 with the X6800 to about 16.4 with the E7600, presumably because of the 4M vs 3M cache. E7600 is running a lot cooler, too.

Nice yea i wonder if its because of more cache as well. But awesome give me hope to move on to something cooler and faster for my 3850. If u try the xeon modded bios u can run the x3230 instead ill find the link. Its basically a q6600. But yea i hit the same wall on value ram. I have some ocz 4200 ram i gotta test.

Ok i found its in russian
https://ideafix.name/?p=2891

Last edited by greasemonkey90s on 2019-01-21, 19:56. Edited 1 time in total.