VOGONS

First post, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like to use SD cards to tranfer files to an old laptop. So I'm using this conbination to do that.

IMG_2834.jpg
Filename
IMG_2834.jpg
File size
54.14 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The card is seen in DOS, so are the files. But the system freezes if reads or copys a file larger than a certain size (100kb). Smaller files are fine. Same thing is on both 32 and 256 Mib cards. The laptop is an IBM TP 486DX50
What could be the reason?

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 2 of 12, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-04-29, 17:04:

Does the same thing happen if you use a CF card to transfer files or just SD cards.

Normal CF cards work fine.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 3 of 12, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm wondering if it could be just as cards aren't fully ide compatible like CF cards and that's causing your issue or maybe there might be something up with your ad to cf adapters

Reply 4 of 12, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-04-29, 17:30:

I'm wondering if it could be just as cards aren't fully ide compatible like CF cards and that's causing your issue or maybe there might be something up with your ad to cf adapters

I would not be surprised.

https://imgur.com/a/6LfT5tS

these things have no 3V regulator.
I guess, they're running the chip and the sd card at 5v.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The generic adapter CF to SD is low quality. Look for another brand like this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/144010834953?epid=120 … xQAAOSw7dlgeb2q

Limitation that applies to all of these PCMCIA to SD adapters is up to 2GB, I confirmed when I worked with these.

Does not need driver in windows 98SE when I transferred large number of pictures all at once once a day, was on my Dell CPi notebook, over 200MB or more, from my SD with high mega pixels camera in 2005 summer vacation in Alberta.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 6 of 12, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your replies everyone. Here is some more experimental data.
The SD card works perfectly, without any file size limitations, on a P233 laptop,that has a 32 bit Cardbus slot and DOS 7.1
Does not work at all on a P90 laptop with a 16 bit PCMCIAslot. The card is not even detected. DOS 6.22
And as mentioned above partially works on 2 486 laptops, both 16 bit slots. DOS 6.22
So this could be voltage, but it's really weird that it affects the file size. Or it's indeed the crappy adapter.
Can BIOS or DOS version have something to do with this issue?

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 7 of 12, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The only thing I can think of is the cardbus slot is providing proper 3.3 volts and the 16bit pcmcia slot isn't. But it could possibly be the 32 bit nature of the cardbus slot. Without another adapter to try it's hard to say.

Reply 8 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My former Dell CPi was pentium 233 and worked well with PCMCIA to SD 4 in 1 made by sandisk.

Cheers,

Reply 9 of 12, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-04-29, 19:45:

My former Dell CPi was pentium 233 and worked well with PCMCIA to SD 4 in 1 made by sandisk.

Cheers,

Did it work in pure DOS?
I can see different SD-PCMCIA adapters for sale, but not sure they are ATA compatible.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 10 of 12, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SD to CF adapter requires 3.3v power. Get a CF adapter that can provide that voltage and it will work reliably.

PS - This isn't a guess. I have one of these and it only works with 3.3V power

Last edited by douglar on 2021-04-30, 02:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-04-29, 18:18:
The generic adapter CF to SD is low quality. Look for another brand like this: […]
Show full quote

The generic adapter CF to SD is low quality. Look for another brand like this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/144010834953?epid=120 … xQAAOSw7dlgeb2q

Limitation that applies to all of these PCMCIA to SD adapters is up to 2GB, I confirmed when I worked with these.

Does not need driver in windows 98SE when I transferred large number of pictures all at once once a day, was on my Dell CPi notebook, over 200MB or more, from my SD with high mega pixels camera in 2005 summer vacation in Alberta.

Cheers,

Indeed. If the adapters claim to support "SD" cards then that's exactly what they do.
SD cards do top out at 2GB (4GB SD cards exist, but are a special case).
Above 2GB, card readers must support SDHC or SDXC.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm referring to these PCMCIA to SD 4 in 1 adapters usually are 2GB max not the SD card itself.

Cheers,