VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just received a 1400 tualeron, due not being properly packaged 2 pin just came off (they are not broken the they were just ripped off on the plastic container I received.
According to this picture: https://images3.imgbox.com/07/61/cbBrTnUE_o.gif

One is the VID2, so maybe it's redundant, but the other is IGNNE, which seems important.
Ripped off pins:

photo_2021-07-05_08-03-14.jpg
Filename
File size
52.11 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Cpu:

photo_2021-07-05_08-03-14 (2).jpg
Filename
File size
111.1 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Do you think it will work? If it won't any chance for recovery?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-07-05, 06:04:
I just received a 1400 tualeron, due not being properly packaged 2 pin just came off (they are not broken the they were just rip […]
Show full quote

I just received a 1400 tualeron, due not being properly packaged 2 pin just came off (they are not broken the they were just ripped off on the plastic container I received.
According to this picture: https://images3.imgbox.com/07/61/cbBrTnUE_o.gif

One is the VID2, so maybe it's redundant, but the other is IGNNE, which seems important.
Ripped off pins:

Cpu:

Do you think it will work? If it won't any chance for recovery?

Thanks

Depending on how much current these pins carry, doing what I did here might work reliably for you too : Broken pin on socket 370 CPU. Still works but is it reliable ?

Reply 3 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-07-05, 06:41:

I readed that topic before trying to ask, I'm not sure I have the skills to do the same, that's the reason I asked if those 2 pins are mandatory.

What I wanted to do was use conductive epoxy to glue the pin back

What I actually did was put the pin in the proper socket hole, then insert the CPU in the socket and then put the cooler on . Everything has been working fine for 4 years . I am not suggesting you try this before knowing more about the purpose and current carrying specs of the said pins, but you be as lucky as I was .

Reply 4 of 8, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2021-07-05, 06:52:

What I actually did was put the pin in the proper socket hole, then insert the CPU in the socket and then put the cooler on.

That's actually a brilliant solution for people with limited soldering equipment/experience. It should probably work with smaller CPUs too that are extremely hard to solder anyway.

Reply 5 of 8, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's briliant!
Any advice about what epoxy to use?

I tried the cpu, it apparently works fine. The reset switch works too... The voltage of the cpu is 1.47 according (it should be 1.50) to what the bios says.

Also I need to do an errata corrige, the vid pin is probably used to say to the cpu what the voltage is, more than carring voltage it self.

Reply 6 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-07-05, 07:13:
That's briliant! Any advice about what epoxy to use? […]
Show full quote

That's briliant!
Any advice about what epoxy to use?

I tried the cpu, it apparently works fine. The reset switch works too... The voltage of the cpu is 1.47 according (it should be 1.50) to what the bios says.

Also I need to do an errata corrige, the vid pin is probably used to say to the cpu what the voltage is, more than carring voltage it self.

Just to be clear, I did not even use conductive epoxy as it just works without any .

Reply 7 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VID pin is Voltage Identification and it is necessary for getting proper voltage. The slight undervolt will do good if the chip stays stable, less heat is produced.

!IGNNE is for raising FPU error interrupt and it shouldn't matter at all. It used to have proper meaning in hardware where there's a separate FPU but with the FPU integrated the pin shouldn't have any real use unless something tries to simulate an FPU error condition (the pin is an input not an output).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 8 of 8, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2021-07-05, 07:43:

VID pin is Voltage Identification and it is necessary for getting proper voltage. The slight undervolt will do good if the chip stays stable, less heat is produced.

!IGNNE is for raising FPU error interrupt and it shouldn't matter at all. It used to have proper meaning in hardware where there's a separate FPU but with the FPU integrated the pin shouldn't have any real use unless something tries to simulate an FPU error condition (the pin is an input not an output).

Thank you Tiido!
Apparently the board always give something less compared to what it should, even with a cpu with all pins it give 0,03 less.