VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a new motherboard I'm testing before I put all my hardware in it so first things first I need to test the voltages are good for 5 volts from the motherboard socket for the socket 3, I have the pinout for the socket 3 and I'll be using an Intel overdrive DX2OPDR66 SZ935 that uses 5 volts. I need to know which pins on the socket 3 to test for 5 volts (row and number) to make sure its outputting 5 volts +- 5% do I test every VCC or does the DX2OPDR66 CPU draw from only one VCC as I cant find a pinout for the CPU. My next question is about the motherboard I'm using its a VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 and in the manual for jumper JP32 and JP33 it does not have a 5 volts jumper setting it has 3.45, 3.6, 4, 3.3 volts and my motherboard does not have JP33 it only has JP32 so as you see I don't know how to set the voltage on this board to 5 volts for the CPU above and I'm not sure it supports 5 volt CPU's even though its a socket 3

Reply 2 of 8, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don´t worry about the 5V voltage. If your PSU is o.k. it delivers exactly 5V at the 5V rail. The mainboard just passes it to the (multiple) pins of the CPU.
If your board has an additional voltage regulator for later CPUs you don´t have to manually select 5V for a 5V CPU by jumpering since the circuit on the mainboard gets a "5V CPU present" signal from the CPU that makes it turn off (bypass) the regulator.

You cannot damage a 5V CPU here by false jumpering, there´s only a problem when you use a Cyrix, AMD or Intel DX4 CPU (that demand lower core- voltages) without jumpering correctly before.

Why not take a picture so we can see the details...

Reply 3 of 8, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks majestyk I found another manual that says for jumper JP32 (the only one I have for voltage):

Intel DX4/Cyrix DX2-V Voltage Selector: JP32
This jumper selects the CPU voltage for these two CPUs. The Intel CPU uses 3.45 volts and the Cyrix CPU uses 3.6 volts, so you must make sure that these jumpers are set correctly. The default setting is for the Intel CPU, so you do not need to change the setting if you do not install a Cyrix DX2-V.

Clock Speed JP32
Intel DX4 (default) 1&2
Cyrix DX2-V 2&3

In another manual it says JP12 and JP15:

Function: JP12 JP15
3.3V (DX4) pins 2&3 closed pins 2&3 closed
5V pins 1&2 closed pins 1&2 closed

On my rev 2.0 board JP12 and JP15 are missing you can see where they were next to the second voltage regulator on the right in the picture below

I would still like to see if the socket 3 is supplying 5 volts even with JP32 set to 1&2 and IIRC there is a bios update to enable a DX266 overdrive I cant remember where I saw this maybe from Phills Computer Lab, youre right this board has 2 voltage regulators so when you said that a 5 volt CPU tells the motherboard/socket to supply 5 volts straight from the power rails can you tell me which pins on the socket 3 are for this so that I can jumper them and test if its supplying 5 volts.

Attachments

• Motherboard 2.jpg
    Filename
    Motherboard 2.jpg
    File size
    1.72 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Motherboard 1.jpg
    Filename
    Motherboard 1.jpg
    File size
    1.14 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 8, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In this Socket 3 generation what you see at the bottom-right corner does not mean "2 voltage regulators" but 1 voltage regulator (the left one with cooling) plus 1 MOS-FET (the right one) as a simple switch to bypass the voltage regulator in case a 5V CPU is present.
That´s why JP12 and JP15 have become obsolete for this mainboard revision.

Reply 5 of 8, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok thanks for clearing up about the second one as a mos fet which means to me there are pins that still get used to detect if a 5 volt CPU is used or not do you know which pins they are?

Reply 6 of 8, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi GabrielKnight123,

As explained by majestyk, this nice 486SV2GX4 board has Vcore autoswitching to support all 486 CPU models. With JP32 set at 1&2, it automatically switches between 5V and 3.45V, depending on the installed CPU.

If you are set on testing this, you can use the procedure from my Am5x86 upgrade story at http://www.steunebrink.info/amd5x86.htm
Look under the header “CPU Voltage” and omit step 3 (wire between pins S-4 and R-4) if you want to test for 5V Vcore.

The latest BIOS for your Rev 2.0 board is Rev. #401A0-0402-1. This 11/03/95 BIOS supports all 486 CPU models, including the Cx586 and Am5x86-133. But software wise, your DX2OPDR66 is just an 80486DX2 and will be supported by all BIOS revisions for this board.

Happy New Year,
Jan

Edit: updated the link to my website

Last edited by Chkcpu on 2023-07-11, 20:07. Edited 1 time in total.

CPU Identification utility
The Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page

Reply 8 of 8, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you majestyk and Chkcpu I'll test it when I can I mainly want to check everything because this motherboard will have my MPU-IPC-T Midi card and Pro Audio Spectrum 16 and maybe a Am5x86

Thanks Happy New Year to everyone too