VOGONS

First post, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,

I hope I can find any hint here, and I hope my post is posted in the right section.

The other day my friend gave me this Thin Client as broken (he wasn't use it anymore from years) and I wanted to see more and understand this platform.

The Praim Thin Client has a Via processor, the C3 1,0Ghz Via Eden Esp 10k, with a VIA VT8235 southbridge.

Inside I found a nice Compact Flash installed from Sandisk, an Extreme Pro 16GB model, UDMA7.

Completing a good DDR module of 1GB of RAM.

Now, I wanted to install a Windows operative system here, preferably the Windows 2000 SP4, as my first installation of this operative system.

When I use rufus to create a bootable USB with the ISO of the Windows 2000 the process success and I try to boot through this USB the Thin Client.

But every time it give me an error saying this:

" Hard disk boot sector invalid, press H to retry hard disk ".

Now, I tried a lot of things, I swapped three different USB keys, I tried other operative system (Windows XP, Windows XP lite, Windows 2000), but every time the system boot it shows me that error and I don't know what to do.

I never seen that message. I tried to use another File System, I tried the NTFS, FAT32, FAT...but nothing changed.

So I took out the compact flash and tested and formatted with another my computer, the CF seems perfect.

What kind of problem I have here? How can I install an operative system in this Thin nice Client?

I put some photos about it, so you can understand better.

Attachments

• 1653820785659.jpg
    Filename
    1653820785659.jpg
    File size
    442.12 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    model number probably
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1653820785695.jpg
    Filename
    1653820785695.jpg
    File size
    476.27 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The RAM
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1653820181615.jpg
    Filename
    1653820181615.jpg
    File size
    487.57 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The processor VIA C3
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1653820181597.jpg
    Filename
    1653820181597.jpg
    File size
    490.19 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The southbridge
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1653820181653.jpg
    Filename
    1653820181653.jpg
    File size
    779.32 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The motherboard
    File license
    Public domain

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 1 of 52, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would look into doing a proper recap of that board. Those capacitors are general purpose caps and are not suited for PC operation, where you need even lower ESR than what those provide.

I've had a lot of issues similar to yours because of caps. Even as far as getting 98SE installer to get stuck on a gray screen after passing the text-mode part of the setup.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 52, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2022-05-29, 13:41:

I would look into doing a proper recap of that board. Those capacitors are general purpose caps and are not suited for PC operation, where you need even lower ESR than what those provide.

I've had a lot of issues similar to yours because of caps. Even as far as getting 98SE installer to get stuck on a gray screen after passing the text-mode part of the setup.

I just re-soledered all of these caps cause some was moving.

All ok now.

What I read simply that a thin client can't be used as normal PC, and so install a normal Windows OS. I am a bit disappointed cause the hardware is completed, we have the CPU, the southbridge, the video chip... why the hell can't I use this system to a normal (even if slow) PC with old operative system? I can modifiy it to this purpose?

Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 3 of 52, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm just now seeing a bulged one inbetween the VIA VT8235 southbridge and what I assume is a CF card slot, right next to the CR2032 socket. Maybe that's the one that prevents you from running Windows?

Otherwise, I would also try changing the RAM stick for one that doesn't use BGA, but classic DDR chips (those with pins on the sides) and see if everything works.

Reply 4 of 52, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2022-05-29, 14:41:

I'm just now seeing a bulged one inbetween the VIA VT8235 southbridge and what I assume is a CF card slot, right next to the CR2032 socket. Maybe that's the one that prevents you from running Windows?

Otherwise, I would also try changing the RAM stick for one that doesn't use BGA, but classic DDR chips (those with pins on the sides) and see if everything works.

So I will change that capacitor and I will let you know, but I think the problem is that the Thin Client is not a real PC, but only a "bridge" from the main system and all other single Pc in the office.

This is mainly why there is no way to install a normal operative system.

I really hope to be wrong, but after some reads, I understood that thing.

I hope someone here can disagree with me and tell me how to install a nice Windows 2000 or Windows Xp Lite on that thing.

Love beer, too.

Reply 5 of 52, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure if you noticed, but that 40-pin connector between the edge of the board and SODIMM slots has a little IDE1 pointed at it.

You could try using a real HDD or CDROM as see if you get any further.

Reply 6 of 52, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2022-05-30, 13:02:

I'm not sure if you noticed, but that 40-pin connector between the edge of the board and SODIMM slots has a little IDE1 pointed at it.

You could try using a real HDD or CDROM as see if you get any further.

A cd-rom? And how Do I power-supply that cd-rom?

Love beer, too.

Reply 7 of 52, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have an IDE to USB adapter those normally comes with power supplies that terminate to a standard Molex connector.

You could also use a spare ATX power supply and jump the power on pin to have it run externally.

Or just use a PSU you have in a computer, heck you could use a CD-ROM that is mounted in a case, just connect the IDE cable from it to the thin client. You're just trying an install, not a permanent inclusion of the drive.

Reply 8 of 52, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2022-05-30, 23:10:

If you have an IDE to USB adapter those normally comes with power supplies that terminate to a standard Molex connector.

You could also use a spare ATX power supply and jump the power on pin to have it run externally.

Or just use a PSU you have in a computer, heck you could use a CD-ROM that is mounted in a case, just connect the IDE cable from it to the thin client. You're just trying an install, not a permanent inclusion of the drive.

So, I undestand your help. I will try with an internal CD-ROM IDE supplied by another supply.

But, my question in the beginning was another; I can find strange that this mini PC Thin Client doesn't accept any of the Windows operating system that I try to install by USB.

Someone can kindly help me about this? Is this Thin CLient "blocked"from firmware for not installing an operative system? Or the problem is just about the USB start of the system?

It's my first time that I cannot install an OS in a PC, just perhaps this is not a PC?

I'm waiting the right answer about this, in the meanwhile I will try to use that IDE connector like Scorpio suggest to me.

Love beer, too.

Reply 9 of 52, by hazyangel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Strikes me that you're right and it might not boot from any other source than the HDD / CF card.

I would be tempted to try putting the CF card on another computer, installing Windows 2000 / XP on it there, then transferring it back.

I've never done this, so it might not work, but I wonder if you only installed it up to the graphical interface stage and transferred the card back to the thin client, the CF card would boot, have drivers for IDE etc and would continue installing. Maybe then it would also recognise your USB installation media too?

Reply 10 of 52, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hazyangel wrote on 2022-05-31, 11:29:

Strikes me that you're right and it might not boot from any other source than the HDD / CF card.

I would be tempted to try putting the CF card on another computer, installing Windows 2000 / XP on it there, then transferring it back.

I've never done this, so it might not work, but I wonder if you only installed it up to the graphical interface stage and transferred the card back to the thin client, the CF card would boot, have drivers for IDE etc and would continue installing. Maybe then it would also recognise your USB installation media too?

Pretty sure it works if I'm not mistaken, since it doesn't get to configure drivers at that point yet. Only from graphical stage onwards I think it begins to configure itself for drivers.

Reply 11 of 52, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try this, get your CF card partitioned and bootable with DOS 7, copy the Windows 2000 install directory to it and start its install from the DOS prompt on your thin client.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 12 of 52, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2022-05-31, 11:43:

Try this, get your CF card partitioned and bootable with DOS 7, copy the Windows 2000 install directory to it and start its install from the DOS prompt on your thin client.

I have to say that if I boot from a Dos USB key I have, it works, it boot. I forgot to mention this.

Why this happens? Dos has different file system than a Windows OS?

I didn't understood what other two users trying to suggest me for using a CF flash to install in other system and then switch to thin client.

Love beer, too.

Reply 13 of 52, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Iolo799, I tried what you ask to me, but I cannot format that CF for booting through MS-DOS (I used rufus, old and new versions), it says me "he cannot copy files".

So I tried a new version of Rufus using the option to make CF bootable with FreeDos and it works, but when I use it to boot on this f***** thin client it gave me errors after a message appear saying "loading Freedos..".

Now I try to flash the image of the Windows 2000 SP4 through Rufus directly on the CF.

Anyway I cannot understand this client is so difficult to accept a boot from USB, I had never problems with any PC before. I think I'm near near to throw that client in the bin.

No one has other ideas?

Love beer, too.

Reply 14 of 52, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
biessea wrote on 2022-05-31, 23:33:

I have to say that if I boot from a Dos USB key I have, it works, it boot. I forgot to mention this.

If you do this, can you use fdisk to partition your CF card?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 15 of 52, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2022-06-01, 21:06:
biessea wrote on 2022-05-31, 23:33:

If you do this, can you use fdisk to partition your CF card?

I have a simply DOS USB key to write bios on VGA card.

No other commands.

I tried other thing, I cannot make this CF DOS bootable (I read that it need a formatting, a virtual machine, another program to "configurate the CF"), so I am giving up. I simply don't know what to do, I though it was much easier. I don't know a thin client is SO DIFFICULT to make it work as any other computer and the bootable USB to install a S/O.

I'm confused, I'm not sure that I found the real problem about this thing, and I am giving up now.

It's so strange anyway. If I put that DOS USB key with all my VGA roms, it regularly boot on DOS. I think it's a problem about filesystem, but I'm not sure this is the only problem in this absurd situation.

Love beer, too.

Reply 16 of 52, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I use that USB to boot into DOS, I can enter in the d:\ drive that is the CF.

The DOS version I am using with this bootable USB is Windows Millenium 4.90.3000.

I found a fdisk.exe of the Millenium Boot disk and put in the USB drive.

Fdisk says me that the CF card (d:\) has already a DOS primary partition.

I don't know what to do, I am doing casual things, this is not my way to move.

Love beer, too.

Reply 17 of 52, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After booting off the USB run.
fdisk /status --- Figure out which drive number is your CF card

Then run
fdisk /mbr # --- Replace # with whatever the number for the CF card is. This should recreate the master boot record on the CF card.

Finally try running
sys d: -- This should then put command.com and other needed DOS files to let it boot on the CF card.

Once that's all down power down, remove the USB drive and see if you can boot off the CF card.

Reply 18 of 52, by kiacadp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is another thread on a Gigabyte motherboard with a similar southbridge chip, the VT8235M. I also own a board like that and they can be a headache to figure out.
Have a look at the thread, it's got some info on bootable usb's as well. Gigabyte GA-PCV2 and the VIA pc-1 Initiative
Personally, I managed to get windows 98SE installed via CD-Rom and IDE to CF adapter. While this causes headaches for you , as your motherboard doesn't have the ATX connector, I would still try it like that somehow. The other suggestions on how to do it sound plausible.
Perhaps try even with a smaller hard disk if you have one at hand, something like a 6 GB or so. I had trouble partitioning a 32 GB CF card with that motherboard.
Don't loose your cool, figuring this crap out is half the fun 😁

Reply 19 of 52, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone. Don't despair!

Just use an USB Floppy drive and an Windows 98SE boot diskette. 🙂

The diskette is a modified one, of course, not the original (use a copy).
Add FORMAT and SYS to it. And FDISK, if it is not there.

Then just boot from floppy, use FDISK to create a partition.

If finished, reset.

Boot again usibg floppy and do FORMAT C: /B.

If finished, power off. Remove CF.

Use another PC and copy over the important DIRs from Windows CD-ROM.

Reinstall the CF in the vintage PC.

Then boot from floppy again go to C:
and switch into the Windows directory.
Start the setup program. Might be called WINNT or something.
Also add needed /parameters if you wish.

PS: Windows NT cares for the Removable Media Bit.
It may or may not install on a consumer CF, thus.
It's not the card's fault, though. Adding some *.INF file (like with XP) may solve that little annoyance.

Edit: Edited.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//