VOGONS

First post, by UltimateElectronic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The ViRGE card has an 86C375 chip on it, the Trio has an 86C775 chip on it.

The system it's going in has the following specs:

430TX QDI Titanium IB+
Pentium MMX 200
64MB PC100 SDRAM
SB AWE64
Windows 95

Reply 1 of 5, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which is better? ... in what field? Better in the void mean nothing. What do you want to do with it?

For what I know about this chips, they are both based on the same design, both are good for 2D (DOS & Windows) and both are pitiful for 3D but the ViRGE was sold for it (Edit: meaning it has S3D and Direct3D enabled in the driver).
Except for that, there is surely some difference here and there. But I think the 86C775 is most likely a revision of the 86C375. Of course, I can be wrong and someone with more knowledge will tell us that.
I suppose you are not interested in early 3D games, but with a 3dfx Voodoo your build can be even greater 😉

Last edited by Datadrainer on 2022-07-29, 19:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 2 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Trio 64V2/DX has better RAMDAC. Performance won't be significantly different between them.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 5, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wasn't the Virge/DX the 375 revision number and not 325? Anyway if I'm correct the Virge/DX should be more complex (for what it matter) as a gaming oriented early 3D (and good 2D) accelerator while the Trio64V2/DX was still a good 2D only accelerator, same RAMDAC clock but from specs that should be better in the Trio64V2 (while I suppose the output quality will depend as usual by the manufacturing quality of the whole card/brand). Edit: I thought the Virge/DX also had some MPEG1 acceleration but not.

Reply 4 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Didn't noticed Virge DX in the title. Oh well, yes, they have identical RAMDAC, but in ideal scenario Trio 64V2/DX is slightly faster anyway: PCI Video cards benchmark: Electric Boogaloo Edition

Compared cards in the flesh: Re: Graphic card memory speeds

Keep in mind that any improvements on PMMX200 will be from minuscule to none. And built quality and clocks between different brands varied noticeably.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 5, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd say the main advantage of S3 ViRGE/DX over its 2D-only counterpart is the hardware support for API (S3D)-exclusive games - such as Terminal Velocity <3 Also Destruction Derby, FX Fighter Turbo, Havoc and Screamer.

After some overclocking anyway.

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22