VOGONS

First post, by AshleyK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone.

I got my hands on this old odd form factor Compaq 010271-001 revA slot 1 motherboard with a i440bx chipset, in the hopes of finally getting to test my slot 1 CPUs.

Unfortunately i haven't been able to get it boot. As far as i can tell, the board turns on, the CPU does get warm to the touch but not much more happens. No beeps or such.
What i have tried so far is trying out other CPUs ( I have 2 Pentium II Klamath 233 and 300mhz and 2 Pentium III Katmai 500 and 550mhz CPUs, all of them behaved the same), trying different ram, different video card, and playing around with the speed settings, but still nothing came up on the screen.

Im not sure if this board sets the FSB speed automatically, as it has support for both 66 and 100mhz, but no toggle to set it manually, so that might be causing problems too.
Not sure if i missed anything or im doing something wrong, so ill attach some pictures of the board on my bench

If anyone has any idea of what i should try to get this board working, please let me know.

Thank you very much 😀

Attachments

Last edited by AshleyK on 2022-11-30, 21:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I assume you've cleared the bios and removed the battery and all that? Also I would get a proper battery

Otherwise standard suggestions - get a POST card so you can get a better idea of what's happening, maybe start replacing those big capacitors, etc.

No beep codes or video could mean an issue with the board, doesnt like the CPU, BIOS is bad, etc.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 3 of 16, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

this is proprietary AF, might have open case switch/header as Doornkaat suggested
why is it outside of magic proprietary case? do you have it? if no then I wouldnt bother with it

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 16, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Technically not proprietary (it's NLX), though I'm not sure if any third party chassis manufacturers ever made NLX cases.

Wonder if it needs the front case fan (which also cools the CPU in Deskpro cases) to be plugged in. Could also try a PCI video card, if you have one.
If the board has an onboard speaker, does it beep when all of the RAM is removed?

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 5 of 16, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AshleyK wrote on 2022-11-30, 13:14:

Im not sure if this board sets the FSB speed automatically, as it has support for both 66 and 100mhz, but no toggle to set it manually, so that might be causing problems too.
Not sure if i missed anything or im doing something wrong, so ill attach some pictures of the board on my bench

Probably won't help, but there is space for a jumper marked SPD66, just up from the space for the jumper marked 'spread disable'.

Is the battery holder ok? Looks like a bit of foil in there, might be worth checking that it's not shorting the battery.

[edit to add: oh, maybe try moving SW6 to on, should try to boot as soon as power is applied. I might have missed it, but is there a buzzer on the board, or an obvious speaker header for beeps?]
[looks like maybe space on the board, near what I guess is an LPT port, for a speaker]

Reply 6 of 16, by AshleyK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-11-30, 14:56:

Is it possible you need to push down on the yellow switch on the riser PCB when running this board?

I have already tried that, still nothing unfortunately.

Reply 7 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This board in particular was not reliable even at 350. I tried upgrading to 550MHz PIII, still crashing once in awhile back in the day when these COMPAQ pcs came out cheap on used market so I replaced Compaq with a core 2 duo, didn't recall but Asus board and in a generic case running XP. Stable and this was needed to host 2 printers and server for special software at electronics repair shop I worked for long ago.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 8 of 16, by AshleyK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2022-11-30, 17:00:

Technically not proprietary (it's NLX), though I'm not sure if any third party chassis manufacturers ever made NLX cases.

Wonder if it needs the front case fan (which also cools the CPU in Deskpro cases) to be plugged in. Could also try a PCI video card, if you have one.
If the board has an onboard speaker, does it beep when all of the RAM is removed?

Even if it isnt proprietary, information on it is still really hard to come by other than 2 ebay listings and poor quality photos

There are no beeps, no nothing out of it.
I did try to add a fan, but from i managed to probe, voltages on the fan conector next to the slot seem a bit off. I was getting 10.6V on what i assume to be the 12v pin, and 5v on the pin all the way on the right, but the fan i conected wouldn't spin up at all.

As for a video card, i did also try a VirgeDX l had, but still nothing .

Attachments

Last edited by AshleyK on 2022-11-30, 21:43. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 9 of 16, by AshleyK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2022-11-30, 17:18:
Probably won't help, but there is space for a jumper marked SPD66, just up from the space for the jumper marked 'spread disable' […]
Show full quote

Probably won't help, but there is space for a jumper marked SPD66, just up from the space for the jumper marked 'spread disable'.

Is the battery holder ok? Looks like a bit of foil in there, might be worth checking that it's not shorting the battery.

[edit to add: oh, maybe try moving SW6 to on, should try to boot as soon as power is applied. I might have missed it, but is there a buzzer on the board, or an obvious speaker header for beeps?]
[looks like maybe space on the board, near what I guess is an LPT port, for a speaker]

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. Just tried to bridge that, and still got nothing 🙁
The battery holder is fine, i used that foil to adapt a CR2032 as i don't have the right battery for it.
SW6 appears to be inverted for some reason. When its set to off (aka turn on only when pressing power button) it fires right up every time and vice versa.
There is a speaker conector on the riser board, to wich i hooked up a regular pc buzzer (the red and black wires in the photo) but there is nothing coming out of it

Attachments

Last edited by AshleyK on 2022-12-01, 18:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 16, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that yellow switch is some sort of chassis intrusion functionality

Still feel that a POST card and/or recap would be in consideration as relatively easy next steps

Reply 11 of 16, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

maybe, but why invest time and money into something that was bottom of the barrel when it was new, and OP doesnt even seem to have a case for it?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 12 of 16, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-12-01, 05:56:

maybe, but why invest time and money into something that was bottom of the barrel when it was new, and OP doesnt even seem to have a case for it?

beats me, that's OP's call as he seems like he wanted to try to fix it 😀 plus those are are helpful to have in your vintage toolbox in general 😀

Reply 13 of 16, by AshleyK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately i haven't been able to get it boot. As far as i can tell, the board turns on, the CPU does get warm to the touch but not much more happens. No beeps or such.

Lil update.
I got beeps!
Apparently the buzzer i was using was dead...Odd. So i got another one hooked up to the board and i finally got something out of it. There were 3 beeps, 1 short and 2 long after 35 sec and no video, for both Pentium II's and the 550MHz Pentium III, with or without ram and video card. My 500MHz Pentium III however only got 1 short beep, almost as if it was posting, but still nothing on the screen.
I have recorded these and have attached them below (the noise in the background is a hard drive i used to know when the board is powered up)

Attachments

Reply 14 of 16, by AshleyK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
drosse1meyer wrote on 2022-12-02, 01:36:
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-12-01, 05:56:

beats me, that's OP's call as he seems like he wanted to try to fix it 😀 plus those are are helpful to have in your vintage toolbox in general 😀

Post cards are definitely helpful tools, ive been meaning to get one for quite a while 😀

My reason for even getting this odd board was because its the only slot 1 board ive been able to get my hands on, as they're pretty rare/expensive locally and ebay has terribly high shipping prices.
I was hoping to get this one working so i could test the few slot 1 CPUs i gathered while in High school.

Reply 15 of 16, by AshleyK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its been a while, but here is an update.

Managed to get a post card of my own! And this is what it shows.
When it first boots, it shows 08 06, and when the beeps happen, 47 43 gets shown, and stays like that till powered off.

Attachments

Reply 16 of 16, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exactly I don't know what those codes mean, it depends on the bios it has, usually those used commonly are Ami and Award, but it is possible that your card has a personalized compaq one.
I could advise you on the use of an ISA VGA, if you have a screen with that, it is easier to understand what does not allow the start.

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB