VOGONS

First post, by delsydebothom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I bought a neat old Pentium 4 machine with a single floppy drive. I happen to have a second one I'd like to put in it. Looking at the one in the computer, it depends on the model of rails depicted in the picture I've attached here. I can find them online, but none of them are local. I am wondering if someone with more experience might, in their good will, provide me with a little guidance on what sorts of rails might be intercompatible with these. They are kind of neat, and snap in with a satisfying click. The model number is 2CDIS004-0 B. Many thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• rails.jpg
    Filename
    rails.jpg
    File size
    24.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate these. They are convenient when you get the case new, but difficult to source if you get an empty retro case. The case I use for my PII build has the same issue and it limits me to just only one out of three 5.25" drive. I have a bucketful of 5.25" drive bay rails for a different type of case, but they don't work for this one.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 2 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have a lot of experience with cases which use drive rails, if only because I've always preferred cases without drive rails if I had the choice between a case with, and without needed drive rails so most of my cases don't use drive rails. And the reason is the obvious one, sourcing new ones will be difficult if your case happens to not come with enough spare sets of drive rails.

If I really need to mount a drive into a drive bay with no spare drive rails left, I'll usually end up kinda monkeypatching a solution to make the drive stay in place using a wide variety of potential solutions, which includes (but is not limited to) tie ribs or other sturdy wires, some kind of solution involving longer screws or bolts, materials squished in between the drive and the bay, etc.

Because in some cases there are PC cases that I like so much, I'll still keep them even though they may have some of their drive rails missing. But most are from cheaper cases I don't case as much about (and space is not limitless). But if I can, I prefer to not end up with a case like this.

Unfortunately this doesn't bring you much closer to a solution, except that you may have to consider trying to do some kind of material hack to make stuff fit and stay in place.
If you find spare ones that fit (and even if on the pic it looks like they might fit, it doesn't guarantee they will) then that's great. But if you don't or can't, then you're gonna need to get creative 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 7, by delsydebothom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, upon your suggestion of material creativity, I'm wondering if I could actually fabricate my own rails that would work. They aren't terribly complicated from a mechanical standpoint. One would need to get the measurements just right, though.

Reply 4 of 7, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
delsydebothom wrote on 2023-01-04, 00:11:

Well, upon your suggestion of material creativity, I'm wondering if I could actually fabricate my own rails that would work. They aren't terribly complicated from a mechanical standpoint. One would need to get the measurements just right, though.

ya, if youre not uncomfortable with case mods and are handy with tools than a good material might be one of those plastic crates that milk bottles used to come in that people like to put vinyl records in. Anything like plastic shipping containers that have long strait plastic sides can be cut up and sanded down to fit. you might have to drill a hole in your case to secure the rail from sliding back and forth with a screw. or something else to secure it...

I personally don't like rails either since its not like its coming out again after i install it.

Reply 5 of 7, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I own tons of different drive rails myself, but neither the ones you need, nor the ones I need for myself.
Looking for the right rails for my DEC Prioris for years allready.
I even dumped nice retro cases due to the total lack of mounting rails.
Best workaround might be 3D printing or otherwise selfmade rails as stated above.

Reply 6 of 7, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 3D-printed rails for few cases. Helps a lot to have a pair of rails to get some measures. Sometimes you just have to improvise... Locking springs like that are dufficult to print. In those cases I would forget the spring and make the rail itself a bit too tight, if possible, so that drive will stay in without any locks.

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 7 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, they don't have to be made out of special sauce infused, grade A unobtanium or anything. Go to a dollar/pound store, look in the craft aisle at convenient sticks, popsicle sticks etc, go to the garden aisle, look at plant sticks and such, look in the kitchen aisle for skewers and cutting boards you can cut slices off. Or look for any other cheap item you can hack bits off.

Likewise I have a small collection of the damn things that never seem to match up when I need one. However with that clip in type, one thing you can do is just have one clip per drive and one improvised or found non-clip rail, thus doubling up the drives you can fit per set of rails.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.