VOGONS

First post, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My current cheap HDMI conversion solution allows me to under/over scan and move the image to center on screen, it outputs composite, Svideo and RGB+S (15khz) for old commodore / Amiga screens.

This was terrific for using my TV for Pc emulation amongst other things.

But sadly most other devices throw up HDCP errors almost immediately.

From what I can tell this pair of devices simply isn’t HDCP compliant.

Any ideas if there is a replacement device that will work like this but not cost an arm and a leg?

I like to keep my vintage content on the old Trinitron but all my ports are used up except Svideo.

Reply 1 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It has always been one of the big "THOU SHALT NOT"s of HDMI that modern HD content can't go to an analog channel, hence HDCP fails when trying to use streaming boxes etc through analog converters. Therefore official HDCP compliant devices that do that, don't exist. Probably unofficial ones do, but they're the kind of thing that might get blocked at customs if ordering from overseas.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 4, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-01-25, 20:58:

It has always been one of the big "THOU SHALT NOT"s of HDMI that modern HD content can't go to an analog channel, hence HDCP fails when trying to use streaming boxes etc through analog converters. Therefore official HDCP compliant devices that do that, don't exist. Probably unofficial ones do, but they're the kind of thing that might get blocked at customs if ordering from overseas.

Didn't that only apply to "high definition" analog signals, such as YPbPr component video and VGA? Weren't converters to standard definition (and lower quality) analog formats (basically anything 480i and lower, including S-Video) exempted from that rule?

Anyway, if you can't find any HDCP-compatible HDMI-to-S-Video converters, you could try looking for an HDCP stripper and run the HDMI signal through that first. It would require two boxes instead of one, but it should work.

Reply 3 of 4, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digger wrote on 2023-01-25, 22:20:
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-01-25, 20:58:

Didn't that only apply to "high definition" analog signals, such as YPbPr component video and VGA? Weren't converters to standard definition (and lower quality) analog formats (basically anything 480i and lower, including S-Video) exempted from that rule?

Anyway, if you can't find any HDCP-compatible HDMI-to-S-Video converters, you could try looking for an HDCP stripper and run the HDMI signal through that first. It would require two boxes instead of one, but it should work.

That would actually be excellent because I could use my existing setup.

Most HDMI to composite devices don’t have over/under scan or alignment settings but my existing device does, only issue would be audio.

Aren’t HDCP strippers rather expensive though?

Reply 4 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digger wrote on 2023-01-25, 22:20:

There was some exception somehow for OTA HDTV and blueray players, but never seen one where the source wasn't controlled.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.