VOGONS

First post, by HappyLemons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally got my hands on 2 nice old Windows 98 PC, but I'm having an odd issue which I wasn't expecting

For some reason, I can't seem to get my computer to go into 640x400 (or 640x350) so I can using older software at the proper res on Windows 98SE.

1) I've tried making a custom res in my nVida control panel (GeForce 6200) but it doesn't work (Simply says, can not add this resolution)

2) I've tired using powerstrip, but the custom res I make doesn't appear as selectable after restart.

3) Tried doing a registry edit to force the res, but I get a black screen on restart, and have to go into safe mode and revert it back.

4) It doesn't seem selectable in the display resolution as something I can set using default tools.

Is there something I'm missing here? I'm sure the above resolutions are supported by the monitor, as I've used my Windows 11 PC with them before.

I know this might be a basic question, but I'm new to oldschool computing and I'd really like to play a lot of classic games at their proper pixel perfect ratio.

Note: I don't really boot to DOS as I don't have an ISA sound card, so while this might do the trick, I like to stay within windows.

Reply 1 of 4, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a known issue with later Geforce cards. There might be other solutions, but here is what I have done

1) If it works in DOS, use DOS.
2) In windows XP and later OS you can define a custom resolution and display timings. I don't know if there are tools for windows 98.

Reply 2 of 4, by HappyLemons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote on 2023-01-31, 18:11:

This is a known issue with later Geforce cards. There might be other solutions, but here is what I have done

2) In windows XP and later OS you can define a custom resolution and display timings. I don't know if there are tools for windows 98.

Sadly, DOS isn't really an option. I prefer to use DosBox on my Windows 98 PC for sound & timing reasons, but I simply can't get native res with this due to my Windows 98 computer not having the res available.

I did look for a tool to do this on Windows 98, and a lot of people recommend powerstrip. but I have had zero success.

Also, only one of my computers is using a Geforce card, the other is using onboard video... but I still run into the same issues as above.

Reply 3 of 4, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HappyLemons wrote on 2023-01-31, 18:34:
Sadly, DOS isn't really an option. I prefer to use DosBox on my Windows 98 PC for sound & timing reasons, but I simply can't get […]
Show full quote

Sadly, DOS isn't really an option. I prefer to use DosBox on my Windows 98 PC for sound & timing reasons, but I simply can't get native res with this due to my Windows 98 computer not having the res available.

I did look for a tool to do this on Windows 98, and a lot of people recommend powerstrip. but I have had zero success.

Also, only one of my computers is using a Geforce card, the other is using onboard video... but I still run into the same issues as above.

If you don't mind scaling then you can use aspect correction. It will be a multiple of native res, but it will be correct. This is a supported feature of dosbox for a long time, and you shouldn't have any issue finding a compatible build that supports it.

Another option like I mentioned is to use a more modern OS. You can emulate dos display timings really well on any modern PC with an nvidia or AMD/ATI graphics card (might be possible with Intel too). Check out this thread:

The Quest for Pixel Perfect DOS Emulation

Reply 4 of 4, by HappyLemons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote on 2023-01-31, 18:50:
If you don't mind scaling then you can use aspect correction. It will be a multiple of native res, but it will be correct. This […]
Show full quote
HappyLemons wrote on 2023-01-31, 18:34:
Sadly, DOS isn't really an option. I prefer to use DosBox on my Windows 98 PC for sound & timing reasons, but I simply can't get […]
Show full quote

If you don't mind scaling then you can use aspect correction. It will be a multiple of native res, but it will be correct. This is a supported feature of dosbox for a long time, and you shouldn't have any issue finding a compatible build that supports it.

Another option like I mentioned is to use a more modern OS. You can emulate dos display timings really well on any modern PC with an nvidia or AMD/ATI graphics card (might be possible with Intel too). Check out this thread:

The Quest for Pixel Perfect DOS Emulation

Yeh, I kind of hate aspect correction with uneven pixel scaling. I know I'm pretty picky about this.. but I think most people here should understand that!

But I keep all my retro gaming condensed to my old PC, so using a modern PC isn't really an option here either.