VOGONS

First post, by another_808286

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently picked up an old external cdrom and I found that the drive inside the casing was the creative cr-563b; I intend to just take the drive out as use it for an internal drive in an old system. However, I couldn't find much information on what exact model this external enclosed one is or what the db37 connectors would have original gone to. (Note that it seems as though internally, there is nothing more than a dumb adaptor board linking the 40 pin and the db37, it does seem that the db37 also carries power though.) My question is: is it at all worth keeping the external enclosure for any reason, is it actually useful in that the db37 connector goes to something, I don't think I have ever seen it on a sound card.

Here are some pictures of the drive in the enclosure: https://imgur.com/a/FHSEUKV

Reply 1 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It possibly came with a matsushita single speed drive in at first and got upgraded to 2x.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 5, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That’s the original drive in its case - I have one but it got a bit beaten up in the post. It should connect to the CT1810 controller card, of which there are some available cheap on eBay. It is also 37-pin and has an audio connector as well to mate up to your drive.
Edit: I see you have the cable! Awesome.
I wouldn’t discard the enclosure as these are fairly rare, haven’t seen a second one and there is sparse record of them online either.

Reply 4 of 5, by another_808286

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JidaiGeki wrote on 2023-03-11, 13:45:

That’s the original drive in its case - I have one but it got a bit beaten up in the post. It should connect to the CT1810 controller card, of which there are some available cheap on eBay. It is also 37-pin and has an audio connector as well to mate up to your drive.
Edit: I see you have the cable! Awesome.
I wouldn’t discard the enclosure as these are fairly rare, haven’t seen a second one and there is sparse record of them online either.

Ok, thank you, good to know. I will keep the enclosure in that case. Since the db37->40 pin creative interface adaptor seems to be a "dumb" adaptor that does nothing more than pass through the pins and inject power, would it be possible to find or make an adaptor that could convert the creative drive interface on something like an AWE32 to the external db37 port?

Reply 5 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You probably just need a D connector on a bracket with a 40pin ribbon wired into it, and power to floppy or hdd connector... keep the ribbon as short as you can though to avoid problems. Tie all the ribbon grounds to ground though even if you run out of 1:1 connections on the D.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.