VOGONS

Adding mouse port to my build

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 31, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I ordered this from the US + a dupont kit. It has the 4 separate wires so I could just pin them into a 4 pin header once i've found out which is which?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/391942848851?_trkparm … fbffe%7Ciid%3A1

(still unsure how to find out the power and ground using my multimeter but I guess I have some time to learn while I wait for this to arrive from the US)

Reply 22 of 31, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stu_e_hughes wrote on 2023-06-13, 08:45:

(still unsure how to find out the power and ground using my multimeter but I guess I have some time to learn while I wait for this to arrive from the US)

Ah, that's easy.
GND / Ground are the black wires from your power supply. You also may use your computer's case/chassis to get GND.
+5V are the red wires.
(Basically there's a FUSE between +5V and your mouse header, but your multimeter won't note it)
Your multimeter has a setting that it beeps when both cords are connected. Black cord should be in COM, Red cord should be in V/Ω

You best can adapt the connector to your motherboard with a fine screwdriver when it does not have single wires.

Reply 23 of 31, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you can also buy any "DIN5 AT Male to Mini DIN6 PS/2 Female" converter in a form of short cable with two connectors at the end, like this
https://www.sfcable.com/6in-ps2-minidin6-fema … pter-0-5ft.html
or ~2$ 'ps/2 extension cable' or something like this 4,44 € https://www.electromyne.de/Cables---Adapters- … -DIN-6-Pin.html
cut off DIN5 connector and bodge cables into the motherboard connector while securing ps2 connector end to the case, ugly but tons cheaper and surely available locally in Germany

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 24 of 31, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, so maybe this?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/PremiumCord-Extens … ps%2C124&sr=8-1

and then i'll cut off the male end and I should be left with some amount of wires.

Reply 25 of 31, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stu_e_hughes wrote on 2023-06-13, 14:43:

OK, so maybe this?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/PremiumCord-Extens … ps%2C124&sr=8-1

and then i'll cut off the male end and I should be left with some amount of wires.

Can you send me a private message on the forum ? I'll have a look if I can find one in my stash and send it to you. There should be several which got salvaged and stored during the years.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 26 of 31, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can I presume here that the red will be + power and the black ground?

Then it will just be a case of finding the 2 data wires from the remaining 4?

Attachments

Reply 27 of 31, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stu_e_hughes wrote on 2023-06-15, 09:38:

To be safe, it's better to use a multimeter with continuity testing to determine which wire goes to which pin on the PS2 port.

Here's a PS2 port schematic which can help you with that. Additionally, there's a video by Retro Bytes which demonstrates the entire procedure.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 28 of 31, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, cable manufacturers just use random colors

Reply 29 of 31, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much. This was incredibly useful. I've managed to match up which colour wire now is which.

Just the small matter of finding out which pin is which on the header. My MB manual has no pinout info...

Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-06-15, 09:43:

To be safe, it's better to use a multimeter with continuity testing to determine which wire goes to which pin on the PS2 port.

Here's a PS2 port schematic which can help you with that. Additionally, there's a video by Retro Bytes which demonstrates the entire procedure.

Reply 30 of 31, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kasreyn just did a DIY PS2 bracket using ingenuity, hot glue and old serial bracket 😀 might give you some inspiration Re: got my ps/2 backplate... still no mouse working? ***SOLVED!

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 31 of 31, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to everyone in this post. With all your help i've managed to add a PS/2 port which works!!! It was a long road but I got there. I was playing some Dune to celebrate.

I've added some new skills along the way. I used continuity on the multimeter to get the pinout on the PS/2 extension cable. Then, found the +5 voltage on the motherboard header to get the power and ground and to find the clock and data was just luck. Then bought and used a dupont kit to make a proper 4 pin header connector from the extension cable which connects and works (with CuteMouse driver) on the PS/2 header on my motherboard.

For the moment i've taken the bracket off an old network card as it has a round hole where I can poke the PS/2 connector through and it doesn't go back into the case. I might fix it permanently with glue if I can't think of anything else.

Would it be safe to secure the wires on the other end (my homemade dupont header) with glue?

Thanks again to the community here. It's really great how generous people are with their knowledge. It's got me excited for my next project (probably an XP build which will have on-board USB!!!! 😂)

Attachments