VOGONS

Reply 100 of 101, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malvineous wrote:
You can order one online - here's a continuity tester, which is like a multimeter but without all the other functions, only the […]
Show full quote
chrisNova777 wrote:

but for me, its not a priority to go out + get the multimeter

You can order one online - here's a continuity tester, which is like a multimeter but without all the other functions, only the function you need for this issue:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131589714060

It's US$0.93 with free shipping. 93 cents! Delivered to your door! It will cost you 93 cents to solve your PS/2 port pinout problem and you don't even have to leave the house.

When you get it, you stick it in one of the holes in the PS/2 socket, and hold onto it with one hand. Then you touch each wire with a finger on your other hand until it beeps or the tiny LCD screen changes. When it does, you know that wire goes to that pin and you write it down. Then you repeat for the rest of the holes in the socket and all up it will take you a minute or two, then you'll know the pinout for certain.

chrisNova777 wrote:

i still havent got a multimeter + i still have no idea which wire color is which

🤣 🤣 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 101 of 101, by Kasreyn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks @chrisNova777 your picture was the final nail that solved it for me .. it made PS/2 mouse work on my ABIT AB-SM5 !

Big picture of the hidden (and misleading) silkscreen ..

FUvSLaX.jpg

.. same horse shoe style header but the pinouts in the manual can't be made sense of, they don't seem to match up with the silkscreen.

I can confirm it works with @chrisNova777's pinouts below.
Pin 1 isn't marked for this specific header making it that much more difficult to figure out.

One tip I have is to measure where you can actually get +5V from the header, this is what narrowed it down for me.
I mistakenly reversed to -5V a couple of times switching the pins .. keyboard usually locks up in chkdsk or even in the BIOS if you have it wrong.

From the manual:

Model name SM5 (J4) SM5-A (JP3)
Pin number Name of the signal or signification
1 Mouse data
2 No connection
3 Ground
4 +5VDC
5 Ground
6 Mouse clock

What actually works:

o Vcc   o
o
o DATA
o GND o CLK

I didn't have a premade PS/2 bracket but I had other parts from an old project.
So I improvised a little with hot glue and an unusued COM bracket 😉

oEg13l8.jpg